Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521206 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #11550 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
SOAP BOX ALERT!

I have a lot of sympathy for local shops where appropriate. I have absolutely no sympathy with book sellers in Australia even though in the past I have spent many hours and not a little money in them. In Avalon NSW there is still the most wonderful book shop that owed not a little of their  success to me and my ilk but the absolute stranglehold by Australian publishers on what we read and what we pay pi$$e$ me off.

I have no problem with buying my books on Amazon, Kobo or whatever. The authors still get their cut no matter.  To me it is all about the authors getting their books out there by whatever means.

Hopefully there will always be a market for paper books for those who love them but in my heart of hearts I doubt It in the long term. Print media is going to be a dinosaur. I read newspapers on line even if I have to pay which I do . I get it.

We have to move with the times as sad as it is . I can see a future where there are no strip malls or huge malls or IKEA's . We will no longer be able   to feel touch or smell an Item  before buying. Maybe there will be places we can go to do this but we won't be able to take it home in the car.

Just look at us in the Thermomix world.  First there were a few and now there are many. First there were a few who worked out the value added things we could use and we valued them. Now there are many who, on the back of  creativity of others, are copying , undercutting , offering cheaper versions and selling on line to hungry Thermomix owners. There are crappy cookbooks useless tools and purloined recipes sold on line . And we buy them with no regard. Well some do.

Way of the world. Exciting new world or sad new world. At  age 70 I am not sure of one  or the other. What do we value? Do we even have the time or inclination to think on it or do we really care?

Personally I have to prioritise . On a fixed income I have to make choices every day. I find I have to remove more things out of my trolly than  I put in . Will I buy can  an imported of tomatoes for 49 cents  or a local brand  for  $1.29?  The imported wins. Tastes as good . Will I buy a local milk for $3.98 a litre or a crapola altered milk for $1.00 a litre? The local wins every time. But if I had a big family and money was a consideration then yes I would buy the cheaper one.

Everyday we  have to make many choices that suit out budgets and lifestyles. We can't always make  the heartfelt "right" choice and have to compromise to get the best value out of our spending dollars.

I feel we all have to recognise the world is changing more  quickly than if did in the past.  We have to go with the flow and manage the rapids.

Gertbysea

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
RED....goes faster :)...they actually call it Rock Lobster....its my "my kids almost have their licenses" car.  My son has submitted his logbook and my daughter is on track to get hers done by May so I've finally been able to get a "ME" car.  Its a two door Wrangler and its soooooo much fun to drive.  I'm hoping to get away for a girls Dirty Weekend that a group run up here where you go away for the weekend to Moreton to go glamping and 4WDing....I get to leave the teenagers and husband at home!

Can I come?

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

stacelee

« Reply #11552 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:12 am »
No problem. Apparently my mother who turns 70 in a couple of weeks is coming and will no doubt try to steal the keys. She now wants one herself!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:14 pm »
No problem. Apparently my mother who turns 70 in a couple of weeks is coming and will no doubt try to steal the keys. She now wants one herself!

Maybe she and I can go on a road trip. Gert and??.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: February 19, 2014, 08:48:14 pm »
a Red jeep sounds good.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: February 20, 2014, 08:08:00 am »
Gert I loved your alert. It made me even more keen to read what you had written. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #11556 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:17 am »
RE your soapbox Gert.

Very reasonable. Well said.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:23 am »
I brought and downloaded the vege smugglers thermomix book today - but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.  :-\
has anyone got it?
:D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:34 am »
I haven't heard anything about it Astarra.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:38 am »
It is on their website if you want a look, you can download a sample.   :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:50 am »
This
one astarra?  I hadn't heard of it either.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:06 pm »
I love the words 'veggie smugglers'. Very apt.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: February 20, 2014, 01:57:14 pm »
I certainly wish i had seen that before now.  Love the term "vege smuggler", have certainly been one , would have been nice to get a few more creative ideas.
Picking up our car on monday afternoon. Cookie i have been boring this time and chosen white. We are trading a VW EOS that is dark blue, made us realise we prefer a low mainenance colour. Looks very smart though.
Denise

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: February 20, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
Soooo exciting, Denise. New cars are so rare. My last new car was S E V E N long years ago

Come and pick me up to go for coffee one of these days. Would love to go for a joyride :D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: February 20, 2014, 11:10:49 pm »
This
one astarra?  I hadn't heard of it either.

Yes, that is it!!  ;D Thanx (was going to link it up but didn't know how on my tablet!!)
Will look through today and hopefully try something out of it!  :)