Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521204 times)

stacelee

Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #9885 on: August 30, 2013, 01:19:37 am »
It doesn't seem to be any less stable than when I have it sitting on the bench, but I am neurotic and don't leave the thermomix anyway whenever it is doing something heavy.  I've seen a small commercial mixer walk of a bench and it isn't pretty....

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: August 30, 2013, 03:17:27 am »
  I've seen a small commercial mixer walk of a bench and it isn't pretty....

But it is if it means that you buy a Thermomix to replace it  :D :D :D -speaking from experience
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #9887 on: August 30, 2013, 05:51:58 am »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:54 am »
CP are you referring to the Tefal cook 4 me recipe book?

It annoys me slightly because it only lists ingredients needed, as the method is on the actual appliance. Sometimes I would like to see the method in print too, but I'm getting used to it. The actual recipes are good because they are basic (like me :)).
Some examples are curries, minestrone, macaroni cheese, roasts etc. The recipes use few ingredients which also makes it easy, but you can change the recipes to suit your own taste.  I have added more veggies to the recipes I've done & they've all tasted great. I think they give you around 80 recipes. You can also choose manual cooking & do your own recipes.

Very happy with it.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: August 30, 2013, 10:37:55 am »
Grocery run bargain for all you nespresso owners. http://rdir.groceryrun.com.au/html_mail.jsp?params=700311+gretchenfitch%40gmail.com+0+0000mby00000g00000000bhm256g455o

Gert

Ooooh, I'm tempted...did you buy some Gert? If so, have you tasted it and was it any good?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:19 am »
CP are you referring to the Tefal cook 4 me recipe book?

It annoys me slightly because it only lists ingredients needed, as the method is on the actual appliance. Sometimes I would like to see the method in print too, but I'm getting used to it. The actual recipes are good because they are basic (like me :)).
Some examples are curries, minestrone, macaroni cheese, roasts etc. The recipes use few ingredients which also makes it easy, but you can change the recipes to suit your own taste.  I have added more veggies to the recipes I've done & they've all tasted great. I think they give you around 80 recipes. You can also choose manual cooking & do your own recipes.

Very happy with it.

great to read your happy with it SoBlessed  8). I haven't had a chance to play with it yet...hopefully for tomorrow's dinner.
I watched it demonstrated again on tvsn, and really think I will enjoy using this one. 

Well, DD is 16 next week, and as she is not your typical teenager, didnt want jewellery/clothes/money.....this is what she picked & we bought yesterday

30L tank, and matching stand...and of course the tank ornaments

.....because naturally, all tanks need a pineapple & a llama  LOL.
We'll set up & treat the water (tropical fish, so it will be heated) today, and test water and get the fish next week.
She wants guppies

And a couple of catfish that clean the tank

They look funny when they clean the glass

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: September 01, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
Your DD certainly is different maddy but what a lovely gift you are getting for her.  Is that a bit of bling I can see on the pineapple  ;D  Are you throwing her a party?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:43 am »
Madly it is a great present . Clever DD. one thing though. From my experience I would set the tank up and leave it at least 3 weeks before buying any fish. If you can't wait buy some really cheap fish and do not buy any expensive ones for 3 months. Expect  some loss.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: September 01, 2013, 01:42:24 am »
Very cool tank!  
I've been fish-spending today too...kinda.  Animates has 20% off fish supplies, so we got some filter cartridges, fish food and some water treatment stuff that is supposed to help it stay clean (he got a little tank and some goldfish for his birthday in April).
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: September 01, 2013, 01:49:13 am »
Nice tank and stand Maddy.

I went shopping yesterday and bought a stove and freezer.  I don't shop often, except for the usual necessities, but when I do I make it count ;D
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: September 01, 2013, 02:03:33 am »
Maddy, what a great gift for DD, lucky girl.   :)

Marie

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: September 01, 2013, 02:14:45 am »
Madly it is a great present . Clever DD. one thing though. From my experience I would set the tank up and leave it at least 3 weeks before buying any fish. If you can't wait buy some really cheap fish and do not buy any expensive ones for 3 months. Expect  some loss.

Gert

Maddy - Gert's right!  The longer you can let the water "age" the healthier and safer it will be for your fish. It does take quite a while to "cycle" the tank and to get right chemical balance set up . .
Have a look at this http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Freshwater-Aquarium

and most importantly, here . . http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle

Some even add  a hardy goldfish or two after a couple of weeks to help things along. . .

Love guppies - relatively hardy, colourful, breed like rabbits - they're livebearers - so when this starts happening, just make sure you have plenty of floating weed in the tank for the little ones to hide in . . . otherwise, your adult fish will finish them off in no time flat!

The Cories are delightful little fish, great for housekeeping! I  love the bristlenose catfish, too - very hardy and also excellent housekeepers.

Good luck!!  It's going to be a ot of fun!! :D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:17 am »
love the tank Maddy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: September 01, 2013, 05:05:22 am »
Maddy what a lovely gift. Good on your DD.
I had guppies when we lived in Broome. They certainly bred like rabbits and have lovely colours.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:07 am »
Lovely gift, Maddy :)