Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521762 times)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4785 on: September 03, 2012, 04:02:25 am »
I know I'm a bit behind but can I add my snake story too??
When I was about 10 we had a rather big dugite snacking on Mum's chickens she had hatched and she was not impressed. She caught it in the act one day having morning tea, so (tried) to hit it with a star picket as it slithered over a piece of railway iron. Not a good move as Mum missed and vibrated for a fair while as the snake made his escape.
My brother and I were sent down to the house with strict instructions "get the b....y shotgun and a few rounds, I'll get the b....d and he won't eat any more of my chickens". While we were getting the gun, Mum had followed the snake still trying to kill it with the star picket (and not succeeding!) until she cornered it in the machinery shed. It was trying to slither up the wall and was fairly cranky with Mum now hissing and carrying on. Mum was pretty cranky herself and a bit red in the face, and I think I even learned a new word or two. We gave her the shotgun and perched ourselves on top of the old combine ready to watch the show. Mum loaded the gun and shot the bejezus out of the snake, AND the corner of the machinery shed.
Quite happy with her kill she then picked it up by the tail and took it to show my Dad who was working on the header in another shed. Now Dad didn't like snakes at all, and as Mum came round the corner of the shed brandishing a very large dead snake and a smoking shotgun, Dad's eyes grew pretty darned big and I have never seen him move so fast - he was up the top of the header before we could blink and he didn't use the ladder! He didn't say a whole lot until Mum asked him if he would please come down and help her skin the snake so she could tan it and make a wallet for my brother.
Well I think I learned a few more new words from Dad and I recall something about snakes and shotguns being put in uncomfortable places and finally "no I will not help you skin the snake". Mum, my brother and I trundled off out of the shed with Mum saying "well kids, looks like we'll do this ourselves. Oh - and don't tell your Dad about the corner of the shed just yet."
My brother still has his snake skin wallet!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15:08 am »
Nikkit it is never too late for a good story and that was a great story told well. Love it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:54 am »
Second that.... :D ;) ;D

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:34 am »
Thanks Gert and Aussie Brenda.
Brings back some funny memories.  I have another story about ants, but might put it in the Happy Thread (it still makes me laugh) so I don't hijack the Shopping one.
 ;D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: September 03, 2012, 04:51:11 am »
Nikkit - thanks for a great story . . brightened up my day no end!! ;D ;D ;D

*suzanne*

« Reply #4790 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:51 am »
Nikkit great story and  a very brave mum  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:36 am »
andI you are brave to get anywhere near a snake with a hoe!  I was driving up north (WA) and came across a massive King Brown in the road.  I stopped for a look and it was alive but had been hit by car and guts were oozing out of body! It was one angry snake!!
LOL how did this thread go from shopping to snakes????   anyone buy a nice snakeskin bag or shoes lately?

I bought some snakeskin shoes in Singapore last trip, does that count?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: September 03, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »
l love that story nikkit l was laughing the whole way through  that l just had to read the happy thread to find out  about the ants
 and OH MANNN  that must of hurt and l can understand your pain
 l had 4 ants get in to my socks out in the bush when l had work boots on and l was trying to undo the laces quicky as they were biting me l cant imagine the pain of so many ants biting you . you must of been sore for days .
 its never too late for a good story
my husband came out from the bedroom and wondered why l was laughing so much so l told him and he was laughing too
you can laugh now but at the time l bet you just wanted the ants off
 thanks for two great storys

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: September 04, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »
I had to share that story too as I was laughing so much! -thanks for the giggle   ;D

I just bought an extra bowl & blade set & the Indian Cookbook  :)
(I'm now sitting down after my varoma demo where I was able to purchase the bowl set for half price) happy happy happy  :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: September 05, 2012, 01:19:41 am »
You told that story so well. I like your mum's style nikkit! what a family treasure that wallet is  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: September 05, 2012, 01:56:51 am »
I have eel skin wallets.. very nice :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Mama Fergie

« Reply #4796 on: September 05, 2012, 02:25:01 am »
I just bought a sting ray skin wallet  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: September 05, 2012, 07:49:54 am »
I just bought a sting ray skin wallet  :)

Will you think of Steve Irwin when you use it?

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #4798 on: September 05, 2012, 11:13:47 am »
Thought of him when I ordered it. Think of him regularly as we have a stingray who comes into the canals where we have our holiday home. He comes right up to our jetty and then swims away. If we tap on the jetty he comes back. Dolphins are regulars there also.  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: September 05, 2012, 11:19:39 am »
How lovely. When we had a boat on Pittwater in Sydney we used to see dolphins and  once a seal.  Penguins used to sit on the marlin board and pelicans came for breakfast.

Gert