Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521737 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4500 on: August 16, 2012, 12:01:50 am »
The contestants on masterchef use the v slicers all the time with no guard DH and I always cringe and can't believe they get away with. From experience, it only takes a fraction of a second and not much force to slice through your nail and straight into your finger!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:19 am »
I have a slicer, rarely use it, too many cuts. One second a kid distracts you, blood everywhere. The guard is a pain to use on mine.

H
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4502 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:42 am »
The contestants on masterchef use the v slicers all the time with no guard DH and I always cringe and can't believe they get away with. From experience, it only takes a fraction of a second and not much force to slice through your nail and straight into your finger!

There is an episode of Rick Steins where he is slicing away on one without a guard and even warns us that you should use a guard with these things and in the very next instant, you guessed it, OUCH   :'(
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:49 am »
Cutting myself is the very reason it has taken me to being nearly 30yrs old before getting one!! Mum had one and we were always warned never to touch it - so I grew up with a fear of them...but always had a weird desire to get one - just cuz I'd never touched one I think! :-)) But now I have one I love it, especially for doing homemade potato or sweet potato chips, but also when I just want to do small portions and it is not worth dirtying TM for, such as 1 onion or the likes. Great for slicing too - TM doesn't slice!  :D
:D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:25 am »
I do use mine for oniin rings,?i like perfect even szed onions on my pizza. I dont use the guardbut only go down the onion a safe way , then chop the onion in tm for later use.

I might use it over the next few days for a potato bae for my friend. Her dd loves my potato bakes

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: August 16, 2012, 01:04:16 am »
Oh yyyyuuuuummm H - potato bake...thinking I might now have inspiration for dinner!!!  :D
How is your friend?

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:49 am »
H, yes I know exactly what you mean, we have one of the orange ones and I'm too scared to use it with 3 little kids running around. I also don't like having it sitting in the dish drainer to dry while the kids are around (and of course too easy to cut yourself drying with a tea towel) !! They're just sooooo sharp !

We just got one of those electric mini graters that Aldi have this week.  I love salad sandwiches and it's not complete without grated carrot ! We also make a tandoori chicken salad in summer and you put loads of grated carrot and cheese in and it's such a pain to do by hand !  Had a go with it yesterday and it's not super duper fast or powerful but I also didn't want anything with loads of bits to wash up either so quite happy with it.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:13 am »
I am interested in buying a bread pan/tin for making baguettes.  Does anyone use one, or can you recommend a good brand or what to look for?

Karen there must be hundreds of posts about bread tins on this forum. Just go up and search out bread tins. You might need a good half hour to get though the  many  recommendations .

Couple the search with baguettes and you will see photos as well.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:54 am »
Hally that's exactly how I cut through my thumb - "will just slice this half an onion to add to the BBQ for our hamburgers" spent the remainder of the night in the emergency department and never got the hamburger. I'm very nervous with it lying around waiting to be washed and the kids aren't allowed to touch it but with the saftey they are a great tool and fantastic slicing potatoes for potato bake. I only ever rinse mine in hot water and it seems to be fine.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: August 16, 2012, 02:16:18 am »
I have a slicer, rarely use it, too many cuts. One second a kid distracts you, blood everywhere. The guard is a pain to use on mine.

H
What brand is yours Halex? I'm thinking the way the guard works is important, like gripping and maybe a groove to slide down,  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: August 16, 2012, 04:38:38 am »
just some more for the bulging library...that I don't have room for  :P

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:06 am »

H

the guard on my is a pain 2 H, mine is a zyliss brand, i use it with the  Bessemer guard, u know the orange one
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: August 16, 2012, 05:45:46 am »
Maddy, love the cake pop books.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:01 pm »
I ordered a Benriner veggie spiralizer and its arrived  ;D very pleased with it, had carrot and zucchini 'noodles' for dinner with a lentil bolognaise. Very nice.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:50 am »
I ordered a Benriner veggie spiralizer and its arrived  ;D very pleased with it, had carrot and zucchini 'noodles' for dinner with a lentil bolognaise. Very nice.

How amazing is this...I was just coming on here to show my new purchase...the same thing!  :D