Author Topic: HELP!!!!!!  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
HELP!!!!!!
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:35:43 am »
Does any one know a good (preferably non toxic) way to get rid of moths in the pantry? They seem to have come home with some bird seed I brought from Kmart (never again) and are spreading into my food!!! I want to get rid of them asap to minimize the amount I need to throw out, as replacing everything will blow the budget right out :( What do I do?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:04 am »
I've never used them myself but the girls swear by this  type of Pantry moth trap Kell
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:45 am »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:34 am »
same same but different ;D JD

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:49:31 am »
put bay leaves (sweet laurel) in every container of grain or flour and similar products.  The glue traps are the best solution but take time as subsequent hatchings will occur at intervals so keep them primed.  Replace when recommended.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:50:01 am »
Thanks guys, also how do I tell what food is already contaminated and what it still good  ???

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 02:11:02 am »
poor girl I know how you feel. you need to get on top of this asap as they breed like crazy. go through all your flours, rice, nuts, dried fruit and just ditch anything suspicious. You will either see tiny 1cm "worms" or pale yellow eggs the size of a pin prick. They spin a little web for the larvae. If you see a worm pick it up with a tissue and dispose of it outside etc. Look under your pantry shelves, and you will usually see a spot where they are more prevalent. Look especially at packets in this zone. The sticky tents are the best traps, and I have even put double sided tape on them and stuck them high up on cupboards near the ceiling where they tend to fly up. I now keep all my food (as above) in the fridge, and freeze those things for at least 2 hours to kill the eggs before they go into the pantry.

As to how to know, only you can decide and judge (but the good thing is they are protein and won't kill you  ;))
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:24 am »
Poor you. I had a massive outbreak earlier in the year that started in bird seed. I ended up throwing out a lot of nuts, seeds etc that I had in the pantry that were infested. I now keep a lot of nuts in the freezer and always have the triangle moth traps in the pantry. I go crazy when I see a moth now. I HATE THEM WITH A VENGEANCE.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:38:19 am »
I've had similar problems in my pantry and ditching anything that is infected is the only way to go.
I also keep everything in sealed containers now, although that's not completely foolproof all the time.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:52 am »
If I put Bay Leaves in the containers will I be able to taste it? Halfway through sorting it out now

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:33 am »
if you have a valcum sealer  and a lot of bulk stuff
  you could valcum seal them and that will stop the moths  getting into the packets
but it does not help you if it is allready infected

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:15 am »
Well it's all done, not as bad as I first thought. I still had to throw alot of stuff out though >:(
At least the cupboard got a good clean :D
So here it is, clean, bug free, bare but more organized than ever before...my new improved pantry ;D ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 11:37:00 am »
well done red. i gave my pantry a good clean out 2 ,after ur post  :-))

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:19:35 pm »
If I put Bay Leaves in the containers will I be able to taste it? Halfway through sorting it out now

No.  I have bay trees in my garden and the leaves dry rapidly so I switch them out every six months or so but I also have them just loose in drawers and cabinets. 
I rarely see one of the little moths in the kitchen.  I do occasionally find them fluttering around in other parts of the house.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 01:26:54 am »
Arghh - Just sift 'em out -  ;) :D I use peppermint, lavender and Eucalyptus oil on cotton balls through out the pantry.  :)