Author Topic: Woohoo - Got Thermie in the Caravan  (Read 6785 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Woohoo - Got Thermie in the Caravan
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »
I've achieved my aim every since I bought my Thermomix - I know some people don't like to take it with them on holiday but I can't bear going away and eating poor quality, bland tasting food so I've finally persuaded dh to let me bring thermie with me.  His argument started off with the power - the electric hook up wouldn't be powerful enough, then it was the weight!, then it was the space in the car/'van while we travelled.  We got all packed up today and there was plenty of room in the boot so I suggested we just chucked it in the boot.  So that's it - proper food all week.  I'm even going to buy some little packets of bread mix so that we can eat real(ish) bread while we're here - I've completely lost my taste for supermarket bread.

I'll let you know how we get on :)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Woohoo - Got Thermie in the Caravan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:15:32 am »
I'm with you Nik. If we go away and I've still got to cook I  usually take my Bimby with us. Have a great holiday.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:16:51 am »
You go NiK - I always take mine away unless we are going overseas - (that is the only time DH is brave enough to put his food down!!)

There is no way I could cope eating Cr*p food myself, let alone have my holiday ruined by a certain DS behaviour (then the eczema and then and then ...) Not only that it will save you money on food too that you can have another holiday  :D :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:19:58 am »
Have a relaxing and enjoyable break Nik - I am not sure our hols plans will ever include thermie - can't see it being allowed as carry on luggage (we now fly to our hol destination - after years of driving everywhere with three children). :)  :)  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:26:12 am »
Ditto here Nik, glad you got your own way  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:50:57 am »
Have a relaxing and enjoyable break Nik - I am not sure our hols plans will ever include thermie - can't see it being allowed as carry on luggage (we now fly to our hol destination - after years of driving everywhere with three children). :)  :)  :)  :)

When I get to the stage of no kids coming on holidays Robyn it may be a whole different story  ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:47:27 am »
Well done Nik. My TMX has worked overtime since we've been away. (mainly with rice puddings I think ;D). We head home on Tuesday so then I can get back into bread making. We don't have an oven in our van, b ut DH has decided we need to buy a Sunbeam oven that he saw up here.
It is so quick and easy to whip up a meal with it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:21:31 am »
Good news that you squeezed your beloved TM in the boot Nik. ;) Note about packets of bread mix,I have used the Wright's Bread mix with good results.They as so do packet cake mixes as well,but I've never used them so can't comment.
http://www.wrightsflour.co.uk/our_products.aspx
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »
Way to go Nik!!
I'm one that doesn't take mine away (we just go to our neighbours beach house for a few days and I make dh bbq or we go to a restaurant for a treat) but I can imagine wanting to take tmx.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »
Well I've got a loaf of bread in the oven as we speak - its a bet "wet" and I was hoping to make rolls with it but it wasn't to be!  I cut down the water recommended by 10% as packet mixes often overestimate the water needed but its so drizzly here I could have done with a lot less!  The boys are having macaroni cheese tonight, its quick and easy and not BBQ weather!  Normally I'd have bought a ready made cheese sauce with all the added salt and rubbish (and the guilt, feel the guilt ...!)

Its nice to eat out sometimes but with TMX my cooking is now so good (to me at least  ;D ) that I have to go to a really good restaurant to have something nicer than I could have made myself - that means the stress of keeping the children quite (not easy when they all have ADHD) plus the massive bill!

Apparently the site is only set up (electricity wise) for camping equipment and we shouldn't use "household" equipment.  Thermie's a camping cooker right?  ;D

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 10:51:54 pm »
[quote author=Nicola1968 link=topic=6364.msg82853#msg82853 date=1306679351

Apparently the site is only set up (electricity wise) for camping equipment and we shoudn't use "household" equipment.  Thermie's a camping cooker right?  ;D

Nik
[/quote]

seriously the power use is so small that the answer would be a YES!  :D

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:46 am »
Nik, yep def 'camping equipment'.

LOL I make my dh bbq whatever the weather, he's very handy with a bbq and an umbrella.

Enjoy your home comforts.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 02:59:03 am »
lol Zan you meanie :o :o

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:57:18 am »
Kathryn, lol.  :) aren't I!
It's not very often but when we are away I am on cooking strike. I also don't like using my neighbours beach house kitchen, worry about not cleaning it properly or something so it's just easier to bbq. We do eggs and bacon on the bbq for breakfast, lunch is salads, rolls, cold meats, dinner is bbq or eating out (so say 5 days away do 2 nights out and 3 bbq meals) The kids love going out to eat and there is a great Indian restaurant up there.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »
Congrats nik....nik 1 dh 0 lol

If we drive to our holiday destination I take thermie but if not then he stays home..not taking the risk, especially on a plane...would definately get damaged..you should see the state of some of the suitcases at the other end of plane travel....shocking...plus i have had crushed cans or tins surrounded by clothing so there you go and hard cased bags have had wheels snapped off...have to admit thats travelling internationally as thats most of the travel that we do...and since the kids are still small we have just started travelling more locally and in comfortable driving distance.  Last holiday I used thermie a couple of times and the rest of the time ate out but food here is generally pretty darn good...so many great chefs about.... as long as like anywhere you stay away from touristy areas! They are known to use over processed crap tasting food and rip you off for it but serve it all nicely lol!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/