Author Topic: puff de loons  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
puff de loons
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:44:32 am »
This might be one for some of the older generation of Aussies. I am looking for a recipe for puff deloons. They are small balls of dough that are deep fried and then rolled in cinnamon sugar and then drizzled with syrup. Anyone remember their granny making these??? My hubby has been bugging me for years  to make them but every recipe that I have tried hasn`t been the right one. The last one that I tried where honey puffs and they didn`t make it. So can anyone help out please. Thanks Sandy

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: puff de loons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:53:56 am »
Puftaloons are essentially fried bits of scone dough (like this recipe). Alternatively, you can use damper dough, which is just flour, water and salt, and to be really traditional, fry it in bacon fat!!

Puftaloons:
2 cups of self raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons butter
¾ cup milk

Steps:
• Mix flour and salt
• Using fingers, rub butter into flour till it looks like breadcrumbs
• Make a well in the centre and mix in milk to form a soft dough
• Knead lightly
• Roll or pat out into 2cm square and cut into rounds with a cutter or a knife
• Fry bacon till crispy and then cook the puftaloons in the bacon fat till brown on each side or fry in some oil in a frying pan  and cook them till golden and fluffy turning over as needed.
• Serve with golden syrup, jam or bacon

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:53:06 am »
Thanks very much thermoheaven, it sounds like your recipe might just be it. So thats what I will be trying to  make tomorrow morning for smocko.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:19:27 am »
Well what do you know I have been making these for my kids for years, as did my mother for us and to me they were fried scones, never knew they had such a fancy name.

My mothers version was basic scone dough fried in dripping fat and served with golden syrup (no wonder I struggle with my weight)  :P
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com