Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8990532 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #22305 on: April 21, 2014, 04:03:23 am »
Discovered some rice flour. Good grief what was that for?  Sooooo.......dried the prawns thoroughly, dusted them in rice flour and bay seasoning with a bit  of chilli of course. Pan  fried  them OUTSIDE on the wok burner for one minute only. Yum oh yum they were good.

Down one avocado with 2 to go. Still a bit of lettuce left and will the grape tomatoes never go? well I had three punnets that were really cheap three weeks ago. They last a  long time.

This was a winner as it is sooooo hot and muggy here. Nice glass of chilled  Rose. Perfect.

Oops a bit of fresh lime basil and coriander

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #22306 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:05 am »
sounds yummy Gert
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #22307 on: April 21, 2014, 06:10:31 am »
Thanks goldfish; I feel better today now that the dishes are done and had some of the brioche for breakfast; Cake looks yummy Astarra.

Gertbysea, I admire what you are doing with the freezer; when I open mine something drops out and there goes another plastic container; one of these days I will get a vacuum food sealer and it will be cheaper than all the Tupperware I have dropped out of the freezer.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22308 on: April 21, 2014, 06:13:02 am »
Gert you a very inspirational. Your food looks so tasty. My pantry is a mess as I have heaps of stuff in there bought for one recipe and not used again. Most of it from DD. I think a lot of it may disappear on bin day.
My freezer isn't too bad, except for when DH decides to freeze something and in a few weeks forgets about it. I have been getting rid of those over the last few months, they are totally unrecognisable. I don't know if its bait or left over cold meat.
 Astarra the cake looks lovely and I am sure all the lovely comments make you feel warm and fuzzy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #22309 on: April 21, 2014, 08:23:32 am »
very inspirational gert :D

lovely cake astarra that is ds8's favourite which he requests every year for his birthday :D

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22310 on: April 21, 2014, 12:00:59 pm »
Well done Gert. I need to get into my freezer.

Beautiful looking cake Astarra.

Back from holidays perhaps some baking tomorrow night.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #22311 on: April 21, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »
Children are going back to school tomorrow so some lunch box baking

Easy peasy cheasy flapjacks
savoury brioche
bread dough

Dinner tonight is sausage casserole.

Nik x
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #22312 on: April 21, 2014, 01:16:01 pm »
Lovely cake Astarra. Great meal again Gert. If you ever want to "chill out" in Vic, my freezer is open to ya 😉 of course being an upright, there's not a lot of hiding places. I understand the jars and bottle thing though. They just seem to multiply on there own.

Made pizza bianca for lunch and easy peasy garlic and soy chicken for dinner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22313 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »
A wonderful meal again Gert.Great going on emptying your freezer and cupboards 8)

The cake looks delicious Astarra.I love the comment " this is better than ice cream" :D :D

Super lunch box cooking Nik :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #22314 on: April 21, 2014, 11:47:42 pm »
Wow, some amazing cooking going on. Making me hungry :)

Just seen Gerts cooking for using up freezer and pantry. Good one Gert :)

My pantry isnt too bad these days since I started the $100 a week. The freezers are full, but you get that when you buy meat in bulk.

I made a load of thai red chilli paste with chillis from the garden & froze it.

Our house will be on a diet after this trip, so much yummy food in Singapore.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22315 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:48 am »
Traded DD one can of water chestnuts for one large potato. I am not buying any more of those ever. Vindaloo paste now opened from pantry into the fridge. I must have bought 6 porterhouse steaks on sale. Used 2 now using one for Beef Vindaloo in the small slow cooker. One can tomatoes gone from pantry. Large carrot , large onion, still a bit of cauliflower so one big flower from it, potato and Gert' s your auntie Beef Vindaoo later today. Even though it is hot it looks cool because of the rain so an tolerate a hot "hot" meal.

I dried leftover chillies, discovered I had another jar of dried birds eye chillies I did a while ago. Moving things about in the pantry I also found pickled chilies and a very large jar of hot and sour paste. Now why did I need that when I have so many chillies plus some frozen tamarind paste as well as a jar of the same? I should make a non shopping list.

Who was it who forced me to buy all that Beerenberg Jam last October?? Never eat the stuff and now I have just made the Rosella Jam from the gifted things.  I think I will be trading the jam for something. Not chillies.

Not cooking but I put 10 pair of shoes in a shopping bag which I am dropping off at the Sallies. Three years ago I had 4 pair of shoes. How did I ever get to be so greedy? The same with handbags going mouldy in the wardrobe. Mostly black. How many do I need?

Think I am getting obsessed. No wait, while I was sitting in the pub in Handorf somebody made me buy 3 handbags from Peters while we were having lunch. It is all the Forum's fault for all this shopping.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22316 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:37 am »
You are doing well Gert.  I agree, we all have too many shoes and handbags.  I knew a woman who only had 2 handbags, a white one for summer and a black one for winter.  My SIL gave me an expensive bag for one of my birthdays, (black, white and beige) so I've been using that for the past 18 months as it goes with everything.

I made a batch of taco seasoning yesterday, the only item I needed was chilli powder.  So onto a shopping list it goes but then I remembered a large bag of dried chillies in the spice cupboard so I made my own, not hard at all and it saved having to wait for the shops to open today.  One of the other recipes I'm going to make on Thursday needed a red capsicum so that was also put on the list but I decided to use some of my frozen roasted red capsicum slices and just add them in at the end - they will taste better anyway. Now my shopping list has nothing on it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #22317 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:15 am »
doing so well Gert and Judy.

I found heaps in the pantry I did not know I had.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22318 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:24 am »
Beef Vindaloo

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22319 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:02 am »
Another good one Gert.

I made 1/2 batch of Simple Potato, Carrot & Cabbage soup in the TMX (it was full) from the link given by GF on the thread djinni started in regard to recipes for cabbage.

My soup looks nothing like the picture on allrecipes, they obviously didn't use a Thermomix to blend at the end :D
If I make it again I might see if I can leave it a little chunky as I do like the look of theirs.  This container is for Mum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.