Author Topic: Scones - Nay-nay's family recipe  (Read 157989 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Scones - Nay-nay's family recipe
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2011, 01:06:52 am »
Your welcome! - try some Apricot Butter on them next time  ;)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:20 am »
Yum... will do.  I made half batch yesterday, gone quickly too.  Will try cheese and chives for lunch box.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »
How on earth have I missed this recipe  ???

Will have to rectify that very soon, and make the apricot butter to go with.  ;D

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »
Julie O this really is a fantastic recipe.  Never been a scone maker, I'm so wrapped to have success with this.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:58 pm »
Another thing I always do when baking scones (apart from brewing a fresh pot of tea with REAL leaves) is wrap them in a clean teatowel as soon as removing them from the oven. By trapping the steam inside the towel it keeps them hot and fresh for longer and also makes for a softer crust .  ;)

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:11 am »
I have just made these - they would have to be the best scones I have ever made, and most certainly the quickest and easiest!  They were a little too brown on top though, so might either reduce the oven temp or maybe the cooking time a little next time - which do you suggest?  Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:54 am »
They need a pretty hot oven - just keep an eye on them and take them out a little earlier. Did you brush with milk?? If you did - don't do it next time (if you don't like them as brown)??   ;)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2012, 10:17:43 am »
I tried the cheese scones today ( half tasty and half Parmesan) . Although yummy it didn't raise at all . Btw I kneeded iit only for 10 secs - what could possibly be wrong with the way I am doing it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:33 am »
Did you use self raising flour Courton?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »
Yes jd...

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »
Many many thanks for this recipe . .I honestly can't remember ever even trying to make scones before - always thought that was the prerogative  of those people who appeared to me to be most mysteriously and unquestionably talented  ;D ;D  Want to try this today and with luck will take them to a friend's afternoon tea :D  Thanks again!

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »
I finally made these scones and they are good!  I'm taking them to work morning tea, with these babies I might even get away with stealing a carpark at the CWA!!

Can I offer some 'not to do' tips for any fellow bake challenged people out there:
The TMX part is easy.
I don't have a TMX mat so thought flour on the bench top would do, no everything stuck.  Also don't bother with a rolling pin it'll only stick to that too, lightly press with your hands (floured).  For heavens sake use lots of flour on everything.  I pressed it out too thin (I really must use a ruler for things I can't judge depth of dough), found it stuck, put it on to floured baking paper and started again, forgot to flour the top before I cut out with MC but remembered half way through and that makes a difference.  Reformed it to make more, all the while thinking I'm handling too much, reformed again to use up all the dough, AND THEY STILL CAME OUT GOOD.  In fact, the more rough formed ones at end of the batch looked better once baked than the few that were precision cut.  Even if you can't bake try these anyway  :D 

Has anyone ever tried throwing in a punnet of blueberries, or would that make cutting out difficult?

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
Good for you Viv!  I too, am a scone tragic, or was until I encountered Nay-Nay's recipe! I always feel quite the domestic goddess when I make them. Haven't tried blueberries, willl be interesting to hear what others say on that.

Cheers, Lesley
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline beezneez

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2012, 07:10:57 am »
Just tried them - absolutely brilliant. Yum - light and fluffy - perfect

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:57 am »
I've only ever used dried fruit, whether the traditional raisins, or  craisins or blueberries.  I keep meaning to try goji berries but haven't yet. Craisins are our favourite.

I don't think that fresh fruit would work as it would squish and colour everywhere while it was being rolled and cut, wouldn't it? Or is it just that my horizons haven't been expanded and I'm brain washed by tradition?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!