Author Topic: Apple Cake: Recipe review TM5 -The Basic Cookbook UK version page 338  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Apple Cake: Recipe review TM5 -The Basic Cookbook UK version page 338
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
They both look delicious  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:32 pm »
Yummy girls.  Starting to get impatient now.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:05 pm »
They both look great. I'm starting to get impatient as well Chookie, although I'm so flat out at the moment probably wouldn't have any time to play with it anyway.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 05:17:42 am »
That looks delicious! I'll be trying that one.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline I Love TM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 08:09:17 am »
I made this cake yesterday and served it with custard for dessert.  It was tasty and looked really good but i was a little disapointed as it was a bit bland.  A lovely cake, but not quite enough for a dessert for me. I might serve it next time with a brandy sauce that i used to make from a WW cookbook.  Also chunks of apple through the acutal cake, or some small pieces of toffee or fudge would be really good.  I would also try substituting a 1/4 of the flour for ground almonds. 

I used the recipe chip with the cookbook open as a guide to check from.  I doubled the recipe and just upped the mixing time a little.  It was very easy to make - although peeling 7 apples was a bit time consuming -  and perfectly made 2 cakes. 

I love using the recipe chip.  You feel confident that you will get to the end of the recipe and everything will be in there.  Even if you are recipe adapting (like i always seem to!) it keeps you on track with the basic recipe. 

Offline I Love TM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:12 am »
Update to above.  I had frozen one of the 2 cakes I made (see above).  It came out perfectly i felt reheated.  I served it with the WW brandy sauce and it gave it a richness that made it "special".  I got more compliments than when I'd made it fresh. 
I'll definitely be making this again. 

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »
Thanks for the update on the cake that was frozen ILTM.It sounded a delicious combination with the Brandy Sauce ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 08:15:09 am »
Yes, I think the recipe looks a bit bland too. so I might go against my own rule to follow the chip exactly in this case and add a little something to enhance it. I am supposing that one can just leave the peel on the apples and I am tempted to do this. The sliced apple popping up certainly gives this cake a posh look for visitors. Memories of Sydney opera house came flooding in.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!