Author Topic: Mincing meat in TMX  (Read 10657 times)

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
Mincing meat in TMX
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:32:09 am »
I gave my sister my standalone kenwood mincer hoping that the TMX would replace it with ease ... I to date have not been too thrilled with the texture of the meat. Has anyone had success in making mince out of say chicken thighs or other meats and can pass on their techniques.

Thank you so much.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Mincing meat in TMX
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:36:07 am »
what is it about the texture you don't like and how are you currently doing it?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:15:16 am »
Hi brazen I have been chopping the chicken thigh fillets into say 2 inch cubes partially defrosted and then turbo pulsing. I have also tried it as per the card that goes on the fridge but I am finding that it shreds rather than minces.

I would just love to know how to be a successful mincer  :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:12:37 am »
I find that it usually works out reasonably well partly frozen and a couple of Turbo pulses - but no more than 300g at a time.

I still have my Kitchen Aid mincer for meat that I make into sausages - prefer the texture from the mincer for sausages.

Thigh I find work better than breast meat.  Do you remove the excess bits of stringy sinew?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:40 am »
OK so it's not just me then.. I will mince my thigh fillets today to make some burgers and then get my mincer back off my sister ;)

Thanks for your help.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:34:53 am »
i rarely mince chicken, mostly just steak (i forget what kind but proably round i think) and it's always been fine so far, though i do struggle actually cooking mince dishes in it (except ragu)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
I have minced steak, don't think I have done chicken though (just buy it from supermarket, has no preservatives in it so don't see a problem using it) but the one I do remember well is when I did Pauls Lamb sauce for pasta recipe in Mains.  Took one look at the fatty lamb mince in the supermarket and no way was I cooking with that. Bought some 4-1/4 chops and cut out all the meat and did my own. Very time consuming but I had no other option. I certainly wasn't going to mince backstrap! I remember taking the bowl over to DH and saying ' now, that is what I call minced lamb!' Just followed Pauls instructions and it turned out beautifully. The quantity was only 300g so this tallies with Thermomixer's advice of not mincing more than that amount at a time.  Don't give in jessiesgirl - it is not that hard. Just pulse, look, pulse again if necessary until you get the texture you want.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:01 am »
....  Don't give in jessiesgirl - it is not that hard. Just pulse, look, pulse again if necessary until you get the texture you want.

You should get a commission from TMX Australia - spoken like an old professional  ;) ;)
( was going to say old pro .. but that has other connotations!)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:53 am »
I had some lamb neck that I wanted to turn into spicey burgers so just threw it into the TMX expecting it to magically turn into mince.... big mistake.   There was a lot of sinew that just wound itself around the blade and I  had to remove it all which made it very time-consuming and messy.

I have successfully minced chicken and lamb since, but that is using better cuts of meat.   

To me, the advantage of mincing is using up less good cuts of meat so the TMX isn't ever going to be good for that.  But it's fine for producing finely ground meat based on good quality ingredients.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:41:11 am »
....  Don't give in jessiesgirl - it is not that hard. Just pulse, look, pulse again if necessary until you get the texture you want.

You should get a commission from TMX Australia - spoken like an old professional  ;) ;)
( was going to say old pro .. but that has other connotations!)
Ha ha, just trying to help Thermomixer. That's what this forum is all about.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »
Yeah JD - that is true - so much more fun now with lots of discussion.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 01:35:15 am »
yes the sinew is a pain. i have learned not to scrape every last bit of mince out from the blades, or you end up with yukky sinew in your food
My Cooking Blog