Author Topic: A NYC "Hello"  (Read 8870 times)

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
A NYC "Hello"
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:16:39 am »
Hi, all. I don't own a Thermomix yet but I like to do lots of research prior to a purchase anyway (and given how out of my range this is at present, it'll be a LOT of research) so thought I'd join. I probably won't kick in often but it somehow seemed less than polite to just lurk, especially given that this seems like a really nice group. Thanks for having me.
Karen in NYC

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A NYC "Hello"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:23:25 am »
Hi MacGuffin, good on you for deciding to join us.  Here's hoping you get convinced to purchase a TMX and can make a dream come true eventually. It is a purchase you would never regret but it is an expensive one so a lot of thought has to go into it. In the meantime enjoy our forum & ask questions if you have any concerns.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:08 am »
Hi, judydawn and please call me Karen--I notice you have a number of them here.  ;)
My mind's made up, it's just a matter of finances at this point. Thanks for the welcome!
Karen in NYC

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:54:20 am »
Thanks Karen, yes we do have a few Karens here already.  I take it you are from New York City? Do any of your friends or relatives have a TMX - it is not that big in the States is it?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:13 am »
Yes, that's right. I live in Midtown, diagonally across the street from Macy's--a busy area.  :o
I only recently learned of the Thermomix's existence so I'd have to say that you're right--it's not all that well-known where I live although I can't speak for the rest of the country. I'd like to introduce it to NYC at some point (I think being a consultant/demonstrator would be a lot of fun) but Vorwerk has run into red tape because of our regulations, plus the machine uses metric measurements--not really a big deal except with respect to oven temperature. So we'll just have to see. In the meantime, finances permitting, I'll have no qualms about purchasing from Canada or Mexico when the time comes, given that we all share the same grid.
Karen in NYC

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:41:03 am »
Welcome Karen. Sounds like you will be in an ideal situation to be a consultant if the regulations are sorted.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03:55 am »
Welcome to our happy forum Karen, it is lovely to have you with us. I find it amazing that we can 'converse' with someone so far away.  We have a few members from Canada.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:46:21 am »
Hi, Jan and Cookie!
Yes and no to becoming a consultant if and when--"yes" because it might take off here, especially given that we have a lot of foodies and/or people with money who'd appreciate such an appliance and "no" (or "we'll see" if I want to be cautiously optimistic) because living space tends to be on the small side and hosting in-home parties to sell stuff kinda goes against the way things are done here (I've never even heard of a Tupperware party being held). We'll see. I really DO think it would fun to introduce this but even if it never happens, I'll have fun with my own when I finally get it.  :D
Yes, it's wonderful that we can converse! Do any of you use Skype? It's amazing to be able to see and and talk to people overseas for free!
Karen in NYC

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:02:42 am »
Hi MacGuffin, and welcome to our forum. I hope that you will get a TM soon. Oven temperature should be easy enough to convert, as well as the metrics  :D (where theres a will, there's a way)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:28:48 am »
Hi Karen,  welcome to the Forum.   I lurked for quite a while,  until JD and Thermomixer held my hand and showed me what to do with the computer.  The Thermomix is such good fun,  and you are so right the people on this Forum are very nice.  Ask all the qiestions you wish,  so when you get your machine you can use it to advantage.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:46 am »
Hi Karen, I am originally from Syracuse  and now live in Cairns Australia. I know how small  kitchens can be in NYC so this is the perfect machine. You would love it to bits. I know it ain't  the "done" thing but you really ought to find someone to give you a home demo.  Helene and Valerie  in Canada may be able to help. Maybe someone in NYC alrady has one and is lurking about.

In any case enjoy the friendship.

http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/

Gretchen

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:10 am »
Oh, yes--this would be perfect for a Manhattan kitchen! It's just setting up for a demo that could be somewhat problematic. Well, we'll just have to see.
Cream Puff, you're right about conversion although it would be convenient to have avoirdupois equivalents for oven temperatures shown for recipes. Other than that, we're all sorta "bi" here because liquid measuring utensils and cooking thermometers show both so it's not a big deal to read one side of the cup rather than the other and in fact, sometimes I combine elements of both systems simultaneously, e.g., when making kombucha, I use liters for the liquid and level dry measure for the sugar. And with your wonderful machine, one needs only to follow the recipe as written anyway--easy!
Karen in NYC

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »
Hi Karen and welcome to the forum from a TM user in the U.K. Have fun cooking with your TM when it arrives. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:27 pm »
Hi, C.C! I'm eagerly awaiting a visit from a London friend...well he's actually a tax exile now and bought a house in Thailand, but he's at home in London at this moment. I got to see the Queen when she was here last month! In fact, her head of security and his assistant came over and chatted with us. It was a great thrill.  :)
Karen in NYC

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
Hi Karen, lucky you seeing the Queen.I know she visited Ground Zero where she laid a wreath in memory of all the lives lost in the Twin Towers and she addressed the United Nations.
If you have a friend coming over from London you might consider taking advantage of this by ordering some books from U.K.Thermomix which your friend could put in his luggage.I recommend The Fast and Easy Indian Book.Janie and John Turner( Directors of U.K.Thermomix) are very friendly and helpful.
http://www.ukthermomix.com/recindex.php
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.