Author Topic: What improvements would you like to see in the next model?  (Read 73903 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: What improvements would you like to see in the next model?
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
Carrie, could you just weigh the empty bowl and write it somewhere obvious near where the tmx lives? that way you could refer to it easily?

Out of interest - an empty bowl with no lid weighs 1.080 kg
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:47 am »
Yep, I have done that before. Just saying it would be a cool feature while I'm pondering improvements. :)
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2010, 07:12:14 am »
I have just realised what I would really like to see in the next model.  As well as heating I would like to see a cooling element that would enable us to churn icecream in the machine. My idea of the super perfect thermomix.

Yes!  Exactly this!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2010, 07:49:49 am »
I would like to have an automatic daily greeting as soon as I walk into the kitchen first thing in the morning: "mornin' gorgeous, you're looking fabulous today!".  ;D ;D ;D  (Just because no one else says it, and it sounds more believable coming from a machine).
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2010, 08:28:01 am »
LOL - and then proceeds to say "Fill me with food and I'll help Supersize you !!"
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2010, 11:54:13 am »
LOL - and then proceeds to say "Fill me with food and I'll help Supersize you !!"

Now that is funny  ;D ;D ;D

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2010, 03:06:54 am »
I stumbled upon this thread and have been reading it with great interest because as I dream of the day I'll own my own Thermomix, my practical side insists that I evaluate such an expensive machine's functions and customer support, hence I've made up my own wish list of things that I'd like to see tweaked (I'm a tweaker by nature). Bear in mind that since I don't actually HAVE the machine, my dream list is based on a rather more superficial level than those of you who actually own and use it.

1) I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd like to see a more sensitive scale. I wouldn't mind its present incarnation as much if the manufacturer didn't list "kitchen scale" as being one of the appliances the Thermomix replaces. No kitchen scale worth its salt uses a minimum of 5 or 10 g increments.

2) The fact that it seems pretty difficult to obtain the "goodies," i.e., those oh-so-desirable accessories that seem to be obtainable only to those who host demos. I'm guessing that even if the Thermomix were to be readily available in the US that demo parties in NYC wouldn't take off in a big way. Not being able to get my hands on things like a Thermoserver and tea towel would be very frustrating. :'(

3) The LED display is rather too reminiscent of those on early cell phones. I realize this is very minor and has no bearing on performance but a more up-to-date display would better complement such an expensive machine. Other than that, I quite like the machine's appearance.

I also suspect that a stainless steel butterfly might be a good thing.
This is SUCH a nice forum and it's a pleasure to read such realistic evaluations--very informative thread!
Karen in NYC

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2010, 03:35:04 am »
Nice to read the thoughts from a non-owner Karen.  You have certainly done some reading to be able to add your own list of improvements. It makes me wonder how Vorwerk do go about planning a new model and where they get their ideas. A survey to all owners (a big task I realise) of the current model would certainly come up with plenty of ideas for them to chew over but you can bet your boots, the new model has long been on the drawing board even if it a long way off.  It has certainly come a long way since the original and you just wonder what the shape/appearance of the next one is going to be.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2010, 04:32:46 am »
Oh, I have no doubt an upgrade is on the table; this is obviously a manufacturer that takes research & development VERY seriously. And by the time I can afford a Thermomix, it might have been released! This was the case with my juicer; by the time I was able to buy it, there'd been two (possibly three) upgrades...which turned out to be to my benefit.  ;D

I very much enjoyed reading the thoughts of those who actually own the machine. It's refreshing to discover devoted fans (of anything, not just the TMX) whose objectivity isn't clouded. Fanboys really annoy me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:38:24 pm by MacGuffin »
Karen in NYC

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2010, 06:06:33 am »
Oh MacGuffin, I hope you can get yourself a TMX soon! A new model is at least 5 years away and I think you deserve one before then  ;) ;)

As a side note - just to keep things correct lol  :D The Thermoserver is only available in Australia (and probably NZ as that is owned by TMX Aus) as it isn't made by Vorwerk, the patent is actually owned by Thermomix Australia and they have it produced as a host reward. In other countries you don't actually receive host rewards  :o :o

The tea towel you can purchase from your consultant here in Aus  ;D

I totally agree on the scales and I really hope that is one thing that they do improve on in the next model - even 1g increments up to 100g would be totally workable.

Not sure about a stainless butterfly as it would be stainless sitting on the  stainless of the blades (working against each other if that makes sense)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2010, 01:48:27 pm »
Lots of good ideas, here is what id like for next model.

It would be nice with a 1 degree step between 80 and 90 celcius
The scales system is so bad that i never use it. Not precise enough and to unstable.
The plastic cup jumps out when crushing ice so if it had some kind of lock it would be nice.
Extended timer as sometimes 1 hour is to little :)

All minor improvements and besides those im very satisfied with my TMX

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »
Then imagine that you could then do your menu planning, shopping list etc from that. That would really maximise the use of customers TMX's, so then they'd really rave about it to friends - increase awareness and sales PLUS the major one of supplying their customers with up-to-date recipes and constantly providing a cood customer support basis in this area. 8)

Right on!! I would love that too- and esp an iPhone app  ;D
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »
Faffa, you're SO cute! Your enthusiasm is infectious!
I see Thermosevers listed on Australia eBay and they always go for big bucks (and did I read that a 1 L model is in the works?). In fact, one of the Forum members has quite a lot of Thermomix stuff listed on eBay even as we type. The international shipping, however, is what's REALLY painful--at some point, I may bite the bullet and order Rawlicious and Festive Flavours from you just to be prepared for "T-day." But all those other goodies like aprons, bread mats, and towels aren't, to the best of my knowledge, available in North America at this point (bags, of course, are). This is a real drag because I LOVE that kind of stuff--if it actually has utility for me, that is. I have several Vita-Mix goodies--including one that's no longer available and two that have been relegated to gift-with-purchase status--that I cherish because they're not only really functional but brand me for the fatuous groupie that I am. I'm always happy to add more fabulous, useful appliances to my kitchen arsenal (I have no qualms about polygamy), despite having no room for them.
My juicer operates stainless-on-stainless (cutter on shaft) so I imagine it'd be okay but I'm not an engineer. Having never used a Thermomix, I can't comment on the cup other than to say that on visuals alone I find it appealing, but I did read that Alton Brown doesn't like it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:31:14 pm by MacGuffin »
Karen in NYC

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2010, 05:43:09 pm »
I posted earlier in this topic about my preference for a larger bowl. 

I have so many recipes that simply won't fit the 2-liter maximum (often less because stuff that tends to foam up, like milk, the maximum is impractical) and in a few cases where I have attempted to convert the recipes, the results have been unsatisfactory.  (However, I do admit that I am rather picky when it comes to something I plan to serve to guests.)
So many of my cake recipes are scaled for a half-size sheet pan and while my 6-quart Kitchenaid will hold the batter, I usually use my DLX 2000 because of its greater capacity. 

For some recipes the TM 31 is perfect and I love the way it does risotto and I have eaten more of that dish, in its many variations, than I had in the past fifteen years.  (Arthritis joints make it difficult to stir for long periods.) 

The scale is so far off that I simply use my baking scale, which is extremely accurate from 1/10th of an ounce (2.8 gm)  and has a much greater capacity - measures up to 15 pounds (6.8 kg). 
In the US scales like this used to be somewhat expensive but the cost has dropped to more reasonable levels in the past few years.   I'm sure the same thing is happening in OZ.

I have made one "adjustment" to my TM, or rather to the spatula.  I posted a photo of my solution to the inaccuracy of the thermometer in the topic: What was the first thing you made in the THX
In my TM the temp settings are so far off that for foods that require precise temps, it is not at all suitable and there is a hot spot on one side of the bottom that will char anything that rests there if I don't keep it moving when set at a higher temp.  (It also leaves a spot that is very difficult to clean without extended soaking.)
The Thermapen thermometers are guaranteed to be accurate and as almost every chef uses them, I trust them.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Thermomix and I do use it.  However, I also don't see it catching on big in the US except in a niche market because kitchens here tend to be bigger (in the homes of people who can afford the TM) with more room for the various appliances that are dedicated to a particular task.   I have lots of "foodie" friends and like me they are enthusiastic about new and better appliances.  Almost all have said that for their "regular" kitchens they wouldn't purchase the TM, they like being able to use a food processor, a blender and etc., all at the same time.   A couple have expressed interest in the machine for their vacation homes and I believe one who has a "ski shack" at Mammoth Mountain has ordered one, (the "ski shack" is an eight room place, thus the quotes) to make it easier to entertain her guests.   One of my friends who is a chef has also purchased one but from another chef who travels to Canada several times a year.  He says he is still "playing" with it and not using it for anything he serves to customers. 

I also would like to see a clear lid but I am thinking that it, like the cup, might discolor and if grinding hard stuff, would soon become opaque from scratches.  My "dry" VitaMix container is that way half way up the sides.

I've also solved the problem of stuff shooting out of the opening when the MC is not in place.  I took the domed top of a lettuce crisper that I never used and cut it to fit the depression on the top of the lid.  That way stuff drains back into the bowl and doesn't end up on my counter (or on me) and it is a lot less messy.   I'll take a photo later and post it.
This would seem to me to be a very inexpensive solution that the company could add without adding to the cost. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »
I think one of the justifications for the Vitamix dry container is in fact that it won't cloud the everyday "wet" container (the other being that it's designed to do a better job with grains, etc.). But I hear ya about the TMX catching on here--there's just something about it that goes against the mainstream grain although I can't quite put my finger on it. I suspect you could have caught it with your observation about dedicated appliances--despite having a Vitamix (or in my case a Vita-Mix--they recently rebranded), I've held on to my old Cuisinart (and thanks for the heads-up re the Magimix!), not in the least because I have the beaters, all the slicing disks, etc. But I still want a Thermomix!  ;D I think I could have a lot of fun with it.
I really hope someone at Vorwerk reads these comments. An accurate scale and the elimination of hot spots (not to mention accurate temperature readings) are areas that really should be addressed come the next upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:00:03 pm by MacGuffin »
Karen in NYC