Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6128619 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11295 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:39 pm »
What a job Gert. Great to here good tradie stories for a change.
I worked for a steel frame builder before babies came along. Of course, termite treatment not needed with steel frame homes, but try telling that to the building inspectors out in the country. Every permit application they would ask what termite protection we were using. One even insisted we treat a cavity sliding door pocket (the only hardwood in the house) because a hungry termite would travel all the way into the middle of the house, just to eat one door pocket!

That is exactly what happened Kimmyh. The door frame and skirting board  they ate is in the middle of the house!  Even with a steel frame they will climb up and search our any softwood. We don't have a steel frame but I happens frequently up here according to pestaway man. Joys of living in a rainforest.

Gert,
That reminds me we have to have our termite barrier inspection done ! Did they write into your warranty that you have to have inspections done every year or your void your warranty? We are a bit slack there but the guy that does it also does our normal pest sprays and we only find we need to get it done about every 18 months. So we get the barrier checked then.

We are looking at replacing our paved drive way with some form of decorative concrete and we're going to have to have that section of barrier replaced as well I think. It will be interesting what they charge for that !!

We have had inspections every year  as well as ant and cockroach protection. Costs $250 upwards .  But the critters can get in and start chewing pretty quickly so the inspections are certainly no guarantee. OBVIOUSLY?

Putting a new driveway down should not be so expensive as they can lay Termimesh or drench it while you are doing it. Cheaper before than after you would think. Learned a lot about the life cycle and there are many different termites.

Gert
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:20:19 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »
Gert looks terrible and messy hope all gets sorted.

We have the pods in the ground for termites and they are inspected every 6 weeks and then a yearly thorough inspection inside and out.

Hope everyone doing exams is doing well and not stressing too much.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11297 on: October 31, 2013, 11:50:35 pm »
I'm thinking I should stop putting it off and get a termite inspection. Do they climb up steel poles?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: November 01, 2013, 12:57:39 am »
Gert looks terrible and messy hope all gets sorted.

We have the pods in the ground for termites and they are inspected every 6 weeks and then a yearly thorough inspection inside and out.

Hope everyone doing exams is doing well and not stressing too much.

We have pods everywhere too. Nothing ever going on in them!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: November 01, 2013, 01:25:23 am »
That's interesting Gert. I thought the pods were good, obviously not. Damn little critters, they seem very clever.
I have been running round the outside of the house shoving and prodding. Checked the front and back door frames too. They are jarrah and is usually too hard for them, but you never know.
I'm glad you found it Gert. They hadn't got to the roof?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: November 01, 2013, 01:38:10 am »
Glad we don't get termites (...well I hope not, anyway)  :-)) :-))

Well, I now have just my own family here again, so have spent the morning stripping extra beds, washing sheets, hanging sheets, cleaning bathrooms (and especially after having little boys to stay I pulled the toilet seat off and cleaned under it too... :P :P :P)Made a batch of chicken nuggets, vacuumed 1/2 the house, folded and packed the extra visitors' washing that was not quite dry when they were picked up, folded and put away our washing, dishes etc, cleaned my kitchen window, and now just sitting down feeding the baby (again) before I dish up the other girls' lunch. Then on to the rest of the house!  ;D ;D ;D
So glad I could help out family and friends in need, but also glad to be back to just us too  ;D ;D ;D
Looking forward to the long weekend.  :D
:D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: November 01, 2013, 02:19:50 am »
They came along beneath the   rocks that are at the side if the house, found a hole in the morter, crawled up Into a cavity to the roof cavity across the beams and down to another cavity  to the frame.

No way they would have been spotted until you could see the damage. Thousands of them thousands.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: November 01, 2013, 02:29:08 am »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:50 am »
Astarra, you do so much.

wish I could do a 3 day weekend, just to catch up, on house work.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: November 01, 2013, 04:42:22 am »
Astarra, you never cease to amaze me with the amount you can get done. i would love to have your energy.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:29 am »
Gert, quite a few years ago we had a similar problem. I noticed what looked like dirt under a metal door frame.  I kept sweeping it up and then it would return. Eventually, I looked in my teenage sons wardrobe and found a termite nest and traced through our floorboards an eaten track allow the skirting to the doorframe. They had left a skin so it wasn't obvious and I think we were very lucky to catch them in time, not a lot of damage. A large mud nest in the wardrobe though. 
Glad your problem has been sorted.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: November 01, 2013, 09:22:45 am »
It's amazing what you achieve in one day Astarra :o

Glad your termite problem is sorted Gert. :) I didn't realize the scale of the problem Termites can cause until reading members comments about the pests.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: November 01, 2013, 09:22:50 am »
They are very clever at hiding . You were lucky.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:11 am »
Look out CC.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7420663/Britains-only-termite-colony-returns-to-North-Devon.html

Gert ;D
Hopefully it might be too cold here Gert :D :D
We have our own local pest Glis Glis.They will eat anything.Bloody things are protected too >:(
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.