Author Topic: Egg and Bacon Pie (with photo)  (Read 16545 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Egg and Bacon Pie (with photo)
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:53:53 am »
Name of Recipe: Egg and Bacon Pie

Number of People: 4 (with sides)

This Egg and Bacon Pie is really so simple that I'm not sure it even qualifies as a recipe. It is a favourite at our house though so I thought I should probably post it.  ;) :)

Ingredients:

2 butter puff pastry sheets or 1/2 batch of rough puff pastry
1/2 brown onion peeled
60g tasty cheese
2 rashers bacon - rind removed and chopped
4 free-range eggs
190g non-homogenised milk
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley to garnish

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Place pastry sheets on bench to thaw for 5 minutes or roll homemade pastry thinly.

Grease a pie plate/dish (I use a 30cm quiche dish) and line with pastry. Cut and join the pastry together where necessary (pressing the seams together at the joins).

Place the onion into the TMX bowl and chop for 4 seconds on speed 5. Sprinkle over pastry.

Place the cheese into the TMX bowl and chop for 4 seconds on speed 8. Sprinkle over onion.

Sprinkle the bacon over the onion and cheese.

Place the eggs, milk, salt and pepper into the TMX bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4-5. Pour the mixture into the pie dish.

Garnish with chopped parsley and cook for 10 minutes at 200 degrees, before turning the oven down to 180 degrees and cooking for a further 20-25 minutes until set. Enjoy!

Tips/Hints:

I usually serve the pie with steamed veg or crusty bread for a simple meal.

You can chop the bacon in the TMX, but I prefer to have chunky even-sized pieces.

members' comments

Narelle -We had this for tea last night Chelsea and was delicious.  Will definitely be making it again.  I do also like it with whole eggs sometimes so might also try that. I've used this recipe as inspiration for mini egg and bacon pies as an appetiser.  Same recipe but using mini muffin trays.  DD1 has enjoyed them as her school lunch.  Again Chelsea - thanks for sharing!

cookie - Thanks Chelsea we really enjoyed it. I made it with the EDC short pastry but used yoghurt as the liquid. Very tasty.  I served it with Jo's 'fried rice'. That too was delicious and so very nice.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:09:30 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Egg and Bacon Pie (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »
Anything easy certainly qualifies as a recipe Chelsea, there should be more recipes as easy as this one and it looks great too  :-*
Don't know if we can get that particular brand of pastry here, must have a look out for it - love the comparison between the 2 and thanks for pointing out the difference.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:32:01 pm »
Looking at your yummy pie (on your blog) brought nostalgic memories back to me.My aunt use to make a similar pie but hers had a lid.She use to let us crack the eggs and fill the pastry shell with the bacon pieces.  :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:14:45 am »
Cornish Cream I make egg and bacon pie like that. I often put tomato slices in before the top pastry.

Chelsea, your pie looks delicious. I will probably make some pastry in the TMX for the base.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06:27 pm »
Certainly does look good.  I'm not a pastry person, but that sure does look inviting.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:50:45 am »
The Borg's pastry is delicious too - much nicer than the other brands, and from memory, quite good price wise.  Haven't bought it for quite a while, but it used to be available in the big supermarkets.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:23 pm »
We had this for tea last night Chelsea and was delicious.  Will definitely be making it again.  I do also like it with whole eggs sometimes so might also try that.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:31 am »
It's up for out dinner tonight too.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
I hope you like it Cookie.  It's such a basic recipe, but quite tasty.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:09 am »
Thanks Chelsea we really enjoyed it. I made it with the EDC short pastry but used yoghurt as the liquid. Very tasty.  I served it with Jo's 'fried rice'. That too was delicious and so very nice.

Offline Jordanna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:10:44 am »
Thanks for the recipe...as a full time working Mum I am often looking for quick and easy meals to feed the family. I often buy a quiche from the shop and heat and serve with salad and maybe garlic bread however these shop bought quiches are more than $12.00 each which is a little ridiculous I know but our family is time poor and fairly cashed up due to two full time working parents. I will add this to my repertoire...sounds quick and easy! Will also save my cash...Thanks :D

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:56:05 am »
I've used this recipe as inspiration for mini egg and bacon pies as an appetiser.  Same recipe but using mini muffin trays.  DD1 has enjoyed them as her school lunch.  Again Chelsea - thanks for sharing!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
Our power was unexpectedly off for a few hours this afternoon and I had no idea what to cook for dinner. A quick look on the forum and I selected this. I didn't put a pastry base on it, I just made it in a dish. It was very tasty. Tasty and quick.