Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 167685 times)

Offline janeeknits

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2010, 04:57:53 am »
Yes, it's hard to 'uncreate' a bad impression. There is little evaporation so liquids do need to be limited - without causing sticking.
You may have found organic rolled oats more suitable by the way. Did you use quick oats?

Actually we used actual oats that my dad freshly rolled in his grain mill.  These were chopped as per the porridge instructions and soaked overnight in water.

The problem was the instructions which say 8-9 minutes 90 degrees reverse speed soft - it wasn't long enough or hot enough or fast enough to do anything but produce lukewarm soup.

In the end I did about 6 mins at 100 degrees speed 1.5 and it produced a beautiful creamy result but that was a lucky guess.

These are seriously BASIC functions - I wouldn't call the correct settings to cook porridge a recipe and yet they are totally wrong.

The other one that really makes me angry is the instruction to chop onions carrots etc for 5 seconds on speed 7 - its total mush.  From experience I now do 3 secs on speed 5 for a nice fine chop.  But when you've just dropped nearly $2K on a bit of kitchen kit you expect the instructions for the basics to be accurate.

I've obviously got the old book which is sad

Offline Toni

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2010, 05:51:25 am »
Yes, some things are surprizing - like the lack of consistency in the way recipes are listed in the index.
I gather the reason some of the recipes seem to be overprocessed is that they have been taken straight from the European books - these cultures have the habit of overcooking vegetables according to our modern palate - as a matter of course, I do just about less of everything - that includes less sugar and less time. I usually find the seafood recipes need alot less time. It's easier to add a couple of minutes if not satisfied.
I think that the soaking of the oats means that they need less time to cook. I don't think the TM recipe book is referring to soaked oats. I prefer them soaked too and it certainly reduces the cooking time - less cooking time = less evaporation time too = add less liquid.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2010, 07:54:08 am »
Hi Janeeknits - I was wondering whether freshly milled oats might have a different texture to bought rolled oats, and maybe that accounts for the "soup" result?  I don't grind or soak my rolled oats at all, as I like a bit of texture, but have found that 90 degrees reverse and speed soft always get a good result.  I think the time can vary dependent on how cooked you like your oats, and perhaps even the original temperature of the liquid?

Hope you start having some more positive experiences. 
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline ronvw

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2010, 04:35:04 am »
Chicken and Cashews
EDC page 107

I made this exactly as the recipe. I found the sauce a little bland-possibly I didn't put enough soy in it. To liven it up a bit I stirred some sweet chilli sauce through it.

4/5   Will make it again.

Thanks Cookie1, I cooked this last night and was not happy with the sauce, Will do a rerun tonight with the left overs and some more chicken.
This time I'm using an old favourite chicken marinade, Soy sauce, honey, vinegar,  brown sugar. Regards Ron

Offline naz

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:48 pm »
Roulade of Spinach from GFCB
I made this tonight.....yes i like a challenge!! I think there is way too much oil as I had oil everywhere when I turned it out onto the damp teatowel. The recipe said 200g....I wonder if it should've read 20g? Anyway, next time I will put a heap less in it & see if there is much difference. It cooked well & rolled well but I got a bit impatient so unrolled it too soon while it was still a bit hot & it broke up a bit. Will know for next time.
Was a little bland tasting even though I added a touch of curry powder & parsley to the cream filling. Maybe some lemon pepper seasoning....it needs something else anyway so will have to play with that one.
All up I would rate it about 3 as it was fairly straight forward to make, just needs those tweaks applied. Served it up with a fresh tossed salad. Would be very impressive for a dinner party if we could improve the flavour!
Would love to hear from anyone else who has made it. (did do a search but nothing came up)

Offline Patricia

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:43 am »
Hi
I wanted to make plum jam - but the Everyday TM book is pretty vague. At what point do you take the stones out of the plums? I've resorted to using my CWA Cookbook for the time being, but I'm sure I could have used the TM.

Patricia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:45 am »
Patricia, up the top where it says 1kg plums, it tells you in brackets to wash & remove the stones. My EDC is the May 2008 edition.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:42:20 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Patricia

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19:58 am »
Hi Judy

thanks for the reply. It doesn't say anything about the stones in my book (Jan 2009). In brackets is says (any red variety, washed) which wasn't particularly helpful. I'm not very confident in adapting things to the TM.

thanks again

Patricia

Offline NatMc

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:04 pm »
I have made the strawberry tart twice now in small sizes and a large 24cm flan and both times have had rave reviews. I do agree with the gel it is way too much cornflour and looks like glue. I just added more liquid so i could use a pastry brush on it.

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2010, 06:04:39 am »
Gluten free book
 sesame slice

hi there this didn't work out for me. It doesn't gel, just stays as a dry mixture.

can you tell me what is missing from it?

The recipe doesn't say anything about baking this - but I did just until it went slightly brown and I found it much better.

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:25 am »
I've only had my TM for a week and have made a few things with varying degrees of success!

Recipe Name: Chocolate Sauce
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: None
Review: Fantastic!
Score: (out of 5*) 5

Recipe Name: Strawberry Sauce
Tweaking details: None
Review: Delicious!

Recipe Name: Ginger Beer
Tweaking details: A lot less ginger and more sugar.  I only used 150g of ginger but it was so strong we couldn't drink it.
Review: Too strong and not nice
Score: (out of 5*) 0

Recipe Name: Creamy Traditional Ice-Cream
Tweaking details: Maybe a bit more cream and less milk as it gets icy after a couple of days.
Review: Very nice flavour and very light and creamy.
Score: (out of 5*) 4 (would be 5 but it doesn't keep well)

Recipe Name: Veal Pizziola
Tweaking details: Made it twice and the second time I blitzed the oil, oregano and added garlic for the marinade.  Also marinated it for 5 hours for more flavour.
Review: Very nice.  Guests were impressed  :)  Meat is very tender and veggies are nice in the varoma.

Recipe Name: Butter Chicken
Tweaking details: Not sure.  But it doesn't taste like Butter Chicken at all.  Needs less spice and more butter I think.  Also the chicken wasn't properly cooked, so I don't think 25 mins is long enough.  Think the chicken would be better marinated as well, and it produces WAY too much sauce.
Review: Not one I will try again.  We couldn't even eat it as the chicken was still raw in the middle!
Score: (out of 5*) 0

Recipe Name: Bolognaise Sauce
Tweaking details: None, though quantity is small when making the lasagne.
Review: YUM!  We made it for lasagne and it was delicious.

Recipe Name: Bechamel Sauce
Tweaking details: None. 
Review: Made the double lot for Lasagne and it was delicious!

I think after reading here, I might get more recipes from you guys.  I made a Chocolate Ice-cream from here the other day and my husband LOVED it!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »
Great reviews ClareN - I wonder though if perhaps your chicken cut too large as it should have been well and truly cooked in the 20 min.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »
You've done well in a week Clare and we'd love you to try some of our recipes on here.  I had no problems with either the ginger beer or the traditional ice-cream - loved both of them but our taste buds are not all the same so there will be different responses from people all the time.  Have fun browsing our recipes and let us know what you do and what you think. If you only knew how hard it was to get people to do reviews in the early days of this forum  :-)) :-))  Things are different now and this forum is all the better for it.

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2011, 03:43:39 am »
Hi all,

I'd back ClareN's comments on the Butter Chicken, very disappointed in total lack of flavour.  I didn't have the issue with the chicken pieces being raw in the middle.  My chicken cooked ok, just the lack of flavour was the issue.  I have the Indian cookbook and will make the version out of that one to see what the difference is.  Other feedback:

Tuna Mornay
Budget Bu$ter$
No tweaks needed.  Lemon juice gives it a real zesty zing - but not too overpowering
5 out of 5

Mashed Potato
Everyday Cooking
No tweaks needed - but found I needed to keep the measuring cup out of the lid as the liquid bubbled up and out if left in place.  Quantity was too much for 2 people, but I have frozen extras and have no issues with reheating, but you must remember to stir to get smooth consistency back.  This is a weekly must have from my husband.
5 out of 5

Beetroot Salad
Everyday Cooking
No tweaks needed - loved the crunch of the raw vegies - loved this one
5 out of 5

Baked Choc-Cinnamon Pudding
Budget Bu$ter$
Rice not completely cooked in steamer - didn't soften after being baked in oven.  Will remake and stir rice half way through cooking, as rice on base of steamer was perfect.  Chocolate flavour good.
3.5 out of 5

Cheers & happy cooking everyone.

KatieV
So many recipes, so little time....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:51 am »
Thanks for the reviews KatieV.  Good idea about stirring the rice halfway through.  If you've seen 'Brons garlic rice' on the forum, that is what she advised us to do several times during the cooking.  I've never frozen mashed potato - it obviously freezes well then?  I always have leftovers but it gets used the next day normally and TMX mash heats up beautifully in the microwave.
I tasted the beetroot salad at the demo I went to when I bought my machine and after 2 years, I still haven't made it  :-)) :-))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:31:41 am by judydawn »