Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 179611 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:45 pm »
JulieO that looks great  :) I am seriously considering the kit from cheeslinks now...maybe I will ask for it for my birthday next month 8)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2010, 01:36:52 am »
Thanks Meagan, it would make a great and useful birthday gift for sure.

Make sure you pick the right culture that you want, there are a few on their site, the one I bought specifically says it's a thicker set type yoghurt (C aBY), though I'm sure any of them would be good.

I've only got about an inch of yoghurt  left in my container, used a fair bit yesterday so will need to make some more over the coming days.   :)

Offline ~Lisa J~

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2010, 04:43:58 am »
Hi Everyone
I made the yoghurt yesterday using this method and it sort of worked!! The yoghurt itself is thick-ish but the texture is strange. Its very slimy and stringy if that makes sense. My kids don't seem to mind it, but I was wondering if this is right??

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:02 pm »
Hi Everyone
I made the yoghurt yesterday using this method and it sort of worked!! The yoghurt itself is thick-ish but the texture is strange. Its very slimy and stringy if that makes sense. My kids don't seem to mind it, but I was wondering if this is right??

Describe your exact method, steps, temps and time.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »
Julie do you decant from the container in the yoghurt maker or do you just store the yoghurt in the container you make it in? Also what is the capacity of the maker?

ETA - sorry don't bother replying I just answered my own questions by looking on the cheeselinks site. The container comes with a lid and you can store it in the fridge and the capacity is 1L
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:58:01 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »
Julie do you decant from the container in the yoghurt maker or do you just store the yoghurt in the container you make it in? Also what is the capacity of the maker?

ETA - sorry don't bother replying I just answered my own questions by looking on the cheeselinks site. The container comes with a lid and you can store it in the fridge and the capacity is 1L

The non-electric one I have holds 2 liters.  Most of the ones sold here in the US  are either 2 liter or several little jars (too small and for my purpose, useless. 
This one, the Yo Life has both - here you see the high dome with the 2-liter glass container and it also comes with a low dome and 7 small containers (6 ounce each).  I've put the little jars to other uses and use the low dome as a moisture control cover for seedlings in my greenhouse.   (nothing goes to waste around here)

I also have one that makes a gallon (also will hold up to a 2-gallon jar) - currently on loan to a neighbor who is coping with 9 grandchildren and really needs it - and it is one that is electric, has a low voltage water bath to maintain the correct temp. 
It looks sort of like a big, deep crockpot with a high domed cover.  I purchased it at a restaurant supply store.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:09:32 pm by andiesenji »

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2010, 07:07:50 am »

If anyone knows of where one this size could be purchased, I would be very grateful.  :D

Well going by http://www.fantes.com/measuring-spoons.html 1/10 is 3x a Smidgen, so you could do it that way?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Norpro-Mini-Measuring-Spoon-Set-5-Pc-18-10-S-S-NEW-/270567907065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3eff1a9ef9

Me - I'm about to order the cheeselink culture and incubator :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:03 am »
Thanks Jules, I'm just going to use my 1/8 tsp, putting a bit less in seeing that it doesn't have to be spot on.  :)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »
I came across this site with instructions for making kefir and/or yogurt with young coconut
If anyone is lactose intolerant or vegetarian, I think this might be of some help.  I'm not sure if it is okay to double post the same thing on another topic (Vegetarian) but since this topic has been fairly active, I am posting it here.

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:40 am »
Well my batch in the yoghurt maker definitely worked better.  Although I had a lot of moisture around the yoghurt (which I just poured off), not sure if this is normal though.  I am considering trying it with long life milk next time though which apparently saves the heating/cooling of milk step.

Offline ronvw

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2010, 03:30:09 am »
CarolineW,
You mention leaving the yoghurt in TMX jug over night, are you leaving this turned on and set to 37 degrees?

Thanks 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2010, 06:01:14 am »
Well my batch in the yoghurt maker definitely worked better.  Although I had a lot of moisture around the yoghurt (which I just poured off), not sure if this is normal though.  I am considering trying it with long life milk next time though which apparently saves the heating/cooling of milk step.

The liquid is the whey which Andi talks about earlier in the thread  You can drain off and use in cooking or drink it, or just mix it back in the yoghurt which will make a runnier yoghurt though.

I have made a batch using long life milk too (Devondale full cream milk) which worked a treat.  You will however notice the flavour of the milk in the yoghurt that you don't get using normal milk (if this makes sense?).  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »
CarolineW,
You mention leaving the yoghurt in TMX jug over night, are you leaving this turned on and set to 37 degrees?

Thanks 

Ronvw - you wouldn't be able to leave it set to 37 degrees in the TMX jug as the yoghurt needs to be left undisturbed to set and you only get temp with the TMX when you have time and speed set as well. I think it would have been left to sit in the jug to set  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:11 am »
Well I made a batch in the machine with the long life milk (so much quicker and easier), but this time the whey did not separate out like the first batch did.  So when I put it into a container to take to work this morning (still nice and thick) it was not much thicker than milk when I got to work.  SO thinking the whey thinned it out or something, or for what ever reason it just did not work :(

I guess back to using "real" milk and heating/cooling it - but it just takes sooo long.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »
There are ways to speed up the process which are not all that difficult.

I heat milk (2 liters) in the microwave.  I have a 2 1/2 liter  measuring pitcher - not Pyrex but a similar type of glass.

I take the milk out of the fridge and let it stand at room temp for 2-3 hours so it is not ice cold.  I pour it into the glass vessel and microwave it (my microwave is 1000 watts) for 12 minutes which brings it close to the desired temp and then I stir it with a whisk to lift off the "skin" on top, check the temp as I stir with the probe and microwave an additional one or two minutes until it has reached about 185° F. or 85° C.   
(You must stir it prior to checking the temp because all liquids heat more rapidly at the upper portion of the mass when there is as sufficient volume and temps can vary by twenty degrees from top to bottom.)

There are various ways to rapidly cool the milk. 
Place the container into a larger bowl and fill it with cold water then add ice to the water.
 For larger volumes as when I prepare a gallon, I use a narrow plastic cylinder filled with ice that I set down into the milk  but for smaller amounts, you can use a couple of large stainless steel spoons that you have placed in the freezer to chill some hours earlier.
Chilling it from both the outside and inside can really cool it within a few minutes. 
You have to check the temp often.

The temperature range that is best for adding the yogurt culture (according to the California milk board) is no cooler than 40° C. and no warmer than 46° C.   (105 to 115 F.)
Being a little cooler is okay but these are optimum temps to guarantee the best results.