Author Topic: Chookie's Lemon and Carrot Marmalade  (Read 53467 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lemon and Carrot Marmalade
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:45 am »
Andie - thanks for the ideas.   Sounds like the Polish influence again - Slivovitz with the plums too?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 07:38:41 pm »
I've never used  Slivovitz.   I've used different types of fruit brandy - and  for a jarred "drunken" apple compote, made with dried apples, I use a calvados that is sold at our local winery. 

Many of the fruit recipes are from my childhood, in spite of living in a "dry" county where no alcohol could be sold, there was plenty around.  My family were not strict Baptists, as were most of the neighboring farmers, so thought nothing of using alcohol in cooking, as well as the usual purposes. ;D
My grandfather's cook always had several gallon jars of fruit "working" in the pantry to produce home-made fermented juices.   My grandfather also had a well-stocked wine cellar that survived the decade of prohibition.  Before my time and I have often wondered how this happened......

My great-grandmother loved what she called lemon "shandy" which was made by simply cutting lemons into quarters, layering them in a big jar with sugar, topping it up with lemon juice and letting it ferment for a few days.  The jar had a spigot at the bottom and some of the liquid was drawn off, mixed with soda water for her early afternoon drink.  Sometimes she had a glass in the evening during the summer.
As she was nearly 105 when she died (when I was 10), it didn't seem to do her any harm.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 12:46:58 am »
Might have to start drinking shandies !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 10:18:18 am »
I love this recipe!
Now that my lemons are in the tree to taking color this one will not escape me!
Maybe another 2 weeks ....
I will report ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 10:40:44 am »
isi,  this marmalade goes beautifully with your rolls!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 01:21:54 am »
Made the marmalade a couple of days ago and it's really nice.  I'm not a big fan of lots of rind and the way this blitzed down and cooked has made it exactly as I like it. Made 2 large jars worth which will keep up going for quite a while. Thanks Chookie  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:59 am »
Julie O,  glad you liked it .  You can make it with any citrus,  or combination.  Can also add or substitute an apple.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 01:28:48 pm »
Thanks Chookie, will note to try next time.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:31 am »
I have revisited this recipe after making it again today.

Add lemon juice with water.
Cook with cup out.
After adding sugar,  cook for 15 mins. on 100 ,  then 5 mins on Varoma
2/3 teaspoons of Jamsetta should be enough
Cost 50c per jar ,  makes 4 medium sized jars.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 06:45:40 am »
I forgot to put lemon juice  :(, using 190g CSR jam setting sugar and top it up with raw sugar.  Tried Chookie re-visit to cook 15 min Varoma temp, however still very runny.  I add 1 tbsp jam setta and cook for another 10 min.  Will report the result.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 06:52:39 am »
Still not set, just added white vinegar and cook another 10 minutes.  Hopefuly this trick will do.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:55 am »
Denzelmum, how did it go?  I have been making this marmalade for about 45 years.   If the jam still hasn't set, bottle it and  save it to serve with the Whole Orange Cake as a sauce. Make it again as it does work , but don't fiddle with the recipe.  You added too many variations...on lemon juice, brown sugar , white vinegar, jam setting sugar. 

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:33 am »
Hi Chookie, it was looking runny when I decided to bottle, but it's thickened!  I will taste them when I got home today. 

After my bread learning session, this would be my next learning with you.v  :-*

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 06:14:47 am »
Denzelmum,  looks like you are going great guns ,  to me.  I made some Strawberry jam , a few days ago and it went runny after I bottled it.  Have been using it on pancakes.!!!!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 09:40:34 am »
Woo hoo.. it's set beautifully  ;D