Author Topic: School canteens who use a thermomix  (Read 9524 times)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
School canteens who use a thermomix
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:40 pm »
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows if any schools use a thermomix? Our P&C had a demo (not the usual ones) tonight. The consultant made, sorbet, a coleslaw, a veggie stirfry, (she made the rice before!!) and a packet muffin mix which we use at school to show the parents and committee how quick it would be to make them instead of the usual 15 mins it takes to measure and mix the ingredients with the packet mix.They are thinking of getting one for the canteen to use. I'm the manager, and I have one at home and love it. The P&C were just wondering if other schools have one and if they find it helpful or would we just use it for some things?? I also have Chef Laurant's canteen book. We are a high school, very multi cultural, but the kids are very adventurous with trying new foods. They surprise me sometimes with some things they ask can we have in the canteen or even the things that we make that I'm not sure how they would go and they become our best sellers.
I try to change some of the things on the menu each term. I know the kids get bored with the same things all the time, so after 9 - 10 weeks of something they don't want to buy it anymore!!
The people there were impressed with it, as I knew they would be. Most of them want to go ahead with it, but just want to be sure we can do more than just sorbet and chopping with it!! I know we can, but told them I would see if any other schools have one and get back to them.

Thanks for your help,
Terri.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
Re: School canteens who use a thermomix
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:43:05 pm »
Best person to talk to is Chef Laurent.  As you'd know it's a particular passion of his & he's pretty good/generous with his information I am led to believe.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get one into every school canteen............

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:04:57 am »
What a wonderful idea to have it in a school canteen. For winter you could do all types of soups instead of just 1 or 2. Sorbets etc for summer. My only scarey thought is would someone steal it overnight. The last 2 schools I was at, we had trouble with break ins to the canteen very frequently. I think as the TMX becomes more widely known more canteens will have them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:53 am »
Just wish we had a canteen :-[ But would be brilliant if they had a tmx, Lots more things made from scratch. Though guess volume could be an issue?

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:17 am »
I emailed the Chef Laurent website and Chantal relied with a list of schools. How cool is that????!!!! They seem so helpful every time I email them they reply within 2 days.
Our P&C have decided to buy a thermomix for our canteen, so I'm a bit excited!!! Just about volume... I figured it was so quick to do things in the TMX that if I need lots, say soup in the winter, I can just do 2 batches and keep them warm on stove top.
Will keep you posted on how things go with it in the canteen!! Also if we make any new discoveries that are helpful!!!  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:58:38 am »
JUst think of the variety of foods and quickness of preparation you'll have now. Fantastic.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:27:20 am »
Sounds great!, just a thought with keeping the soups warm I have a thermal cooker (I bought as an alternative to a slow cooker as the ceramic/stoneware inners leach led into food), basically a big stainless steal pot with a smaller pot on top inside a giant thermos, I don't have thermo server but use this instead to keep things warm, It is originally designed to slow cook things in without power, so you start cooking on the stove top and once its been boiling for a certain amount of time you pop it in the thermos to finish off, I don't use for this purpose much any more (now I have bimby) but more to keep things hot for later, mines just a cheap one from aldi but you can get really good expensive ones as well.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:13 am »
i cannot imagine our canteen manager getting a thermomix!!! thigns are very, ummmmmmmmmmmm, 'traditional' in our canteen ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:00:52 am »
Wow, a thermomix in a canteen, what a fantastic idea!

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:50:37 am »
My consultant managed to get one in her son's canteen (where she helps out too sometimes). She said it's great. They make lots of pizzas, bread, muffins from scratch etc. The parents have been really supportive, knowing that the food is wholesome and healthier than before. I bet the teachers notice a difference with behaviour too.
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:45:15 am »
Just an update. We started making our own chicken patties for chicken burgers, and chicken nuggets. The kids love them! We've tried a couple of different patties.
1. 500g Chicken breast - minced in TMX, put in bowl, blitz 1 carrot, 1 tbl minced garlic (comes in a big jar!) herbs of choice - we used parsley and thyme. Mix all together and shape into patties. Bake at 175c for 15 mins.
2. We just used the recipe for Chicken Hors - d'oeuvers in EDC book and made some into our "new" nuggets and then made some into burgers and coked them for 15mins at 175c.
I thought we should keep the nugget recipe as nuggets and use a different one for burgers so everything doesn't taste the same! The kids are a little excited with new things on the menu. A couple of our year 12's want to come in and help us make smoothies or lassi's for lunch times as well. I'll let you know how we go. I think more and more kids are becoming health conscience and are looking for healthy food to eat at school. Thermie is the way to go!!  ;D

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 11:14:46 am »
Think you'll need another tmx or two in there!!
So glad it's working well.