Author Topic: Practicing  (Read 5561 times)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
Practicing
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:42:43 am »
I had a day home today - no work!! So I thought I'd practice using my thermie. Some things I tried before today didn't turn out as I expected, but me I like to jump in head first sometimes, so thought I should go back to the practice things and work out how things might work better for me!! So I made butter, bought some fresh cream last week for 99c for 300ml as it was close to use by date, then thought I'd like to have the tuna spread from g/f book on something for lunch, so boiled the eggs ready for that, then saw some apples in our fruit basket not being eaten as they were a bit floury, so after the eggs, I made apple sauce, then made the tuna spread. All turned out great, so feel a bit more confident that I can make good things in the thermie!!
Before my sticky date pudding was a bit too smooth, so was disappointed, and a couple of other things didn't turn out as expected, but after today I think all will be good. I'm already thinking I could of added in some sun-dried tomatoes to my tuna dip, or gherkins, so I think I'll be fine with it all now!! ;D

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Practicing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:00 am »
The biggest thing to get use to when you first get it is not to over process your food. When a recipe says 2 seconds it really does mean it! Did you chop you dates up for too long in your sticky date pudding??  ;) I did this too.  :-)) Also I pretty much pureed my coleslaw at first now I know you just take it 2 seconds at a time and most of the time it only takes 4 seconds for coleslaw!!  :o

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:20:48 am »
Thanks Nay-Nay,
I don't know what I did, but that was the first thing I made with my thermie!! See what I mean by jumping in head first!!. So will try it again and do whatever it says for less time and if it needs more then I will do it all in small increments, rather than doing the full amount of time like the book says.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:52:33 am »
And remember READ THE RECIPE!!

I just made muesli bars (not TMX) and didn't read the carefully. I was supposed to toast the nuts, oats and coconut. Plus make caramel from sugar, honey and butter. I left the sugar out as I thought it wouldn't need it. BUT, that's what holds it all together.... :-\
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:33:44 am »
And remember READ THE RECIPE!!

I just made muesli bars (not TMX) and didn't read the carefully. I was supposed to toast the nuts, oats and coconut. Plus make caramel from sugar, honey and butter. I left the sugar out as I thought it wouldn't need it. BUT, that's what holds it all together.... :-\
MJ, my muesli bar recipe asked for toasting nuts, oats etc.  I did it the first few times, but decided I couldn't be bothered.  And no one has noticed, so I invest that energy somewhere else now.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:50:09 am »
I sometimes think I must be extra slow- I made coleslaw puree the other day. Taste was fine it looked awful though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:48:46 am »
It is a fine line between minced and mashed.

Practice makes perfect.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:37 am »
one golden rule with salads and I harp on about it at demos - WATCHING, WATCHING, WATCHING all the time!!!! Oh for that see through lid that someone mentioned somewhere lol  :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:43:56 am »
You really do need the spatula too while doing the salads - it makes for an even chop and pushes the large chunks on top down on to the blades.  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 06:10:12 am »
I was just careless and didn't watch enough!  Learned my lesson though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/