Author Topic: Can you use lactose free milk to make yoghurt in the TM?  (Read 7176 times)

Offline chocymoose

• View Profile
Can you use lactose free milk to make yoghurt in the TM?
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:53:36 am »
Hi,

Just wondering if you can use lactose free milk to make lactose free yoghurt in the TM? Its available as UHT or fresh in the chilled section, is like regular milk but heat treated with lactose to break down lactose first

TIA!

Offline mkr

• View Profile
Re: Can you use lactose free milk to make yoghurt in the TM?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:51:10 am »
Why would you want to? In the process of making yoghurt the yoghurt cultures (bacteria) turn the lactose into lactic acid. There should be very little lactose left in yoghurt fermented for 12-24 hours. Just leave out the milk powder and you should be fine. :)

Offline chocymoose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:45:14 am »
I'm lactose intolerant and regular yoghurt does upset my stomach if eaten in large quantities. I will give it a try and report back!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:55:36 am »
Hi chocymoose, welcome to the forum by the way.  I wonder if this blog will help you at all regarding lactose free milk and making yoghurt.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:14:52 pm »
Regular yoghurt as in shop bought yoghurt? The store bought stuff usually has lactose in it as it's not fermented long enough and they often add all sorts of other junk like milk powder and sugar.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »
I agree about the processing time of commercial yogurt.

If you make yogurt with regular milk and allow it to incubate for a minimum of 12 hours, the lactose level will be negligible. 
I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and has no problem with yogurt made this way and allows hers to incubate for longer, 18 hours, as I recall. 

One caveat.  Not all people who think they are lactose intolerant are sensitive ONLY to lactose.  There are other components in milk, i.e., some of the proteins, that also will cause digestive upset.  One of my grandchildren (teenager) has this and the symptoms are dose related.  That is, she can tolerate a small amount of dairy products in baked goods, etc., but at a certain level she develops symptoms.
Macaroni and cheese or bread pudding is not tolerated but baked goods (scones, cakes, etc.,) containing milk or cream are okay.

If you use half and half or light cream to make yogurt, you will get a product that substitutes for sour cream but has little or no lactose.  This too should be incubated longer than 12 hours. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline chocymoose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try perhaps with regular milk first and see if it makes any difference. My tummy issues do seem to be dose dependent.. now just waiting for my TM to be delivered  :)