Author Topic: Almond Butter Choc Chip Cookies - DF WF (with photos)  (Read 9086 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Almond Butter Choc Chip Cookies - DF WF (with photos)
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:41:09 am »

This is a recipe I developed that I make now and then for a treat - they're wheat free, dairy free and naturally sweetened, and really yummy - just ask the kids :)

For the chocolate chips, I use Rapadura sweetened dark chocolate chips, but you could use your home-made chocolate cut into small bits to avoid the soy lecithin which is probably in them!  (I just saw these chocolate chips for sale in a co-op store and couldn't resist them!)

I make the almond butter first, then add the other ingredients. You could use any nuts, and you could also add some chopped pecans or walnuts if you like - yum! (Note: if you use other nuts, you may need less oil to make the butter - macadamia nuts may not need any oil at all.)

This recipe makes a lot, so you could half it, or just roll some of it up in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer until you 'need' some cookies. You just have to thaw the dough out for 10 minutes or so, then you can slice it into rounds, place on a baking tray and pop them in the oven. It's great to have some in the freezer when visitors drop by!

(Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius)

1. First, make your nut butter (or you can use a bought one)...
Grind on speed 9 for 20 seconds, then scrape down sides with spatula:
- 250g almonds

2. Add and mix on speed 9 for 10 seconds:
- 50g good quality oil (sunflower/macadamia/grapeseed)
Scrape down sides of bowl again.

3. Add and mix on speed 6 for 30 seconds:
- 150g Rapadura
- 180g raw honey
- 3 medium eggs
- 230g light olive oil (or other good quality oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

4. Add and mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds (using spatula to help mix):
- 500g plain spelt flour (can be a mixture of wholemeal and white, and may need more or less than 500g - you should be able to roll the dough into balls)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp baking soda

5. Turn dough out into a large bowl, add a little more flour if needed. (I do this in a bowl as the Thermomix is a bit too full at this stage, and the heavy dough slows down the blades.) Add choc chips and mix in with spoon:
- 1 cup mini dark choc chips, Rapadura sweetened (or malt sweetened) *

6. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased or papered baking trays and bake in oven at 175 degrees celcius for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. (Or you can roll dough into balls and flatten with a fork.)

7. Cool on the trays for crispier cookies, or remove to a rack while warm for softer cookies. Or just eat them all while they're warm, and lick the chocolate off your fingers! :D

(If you do cook the whole batch at once, store them in the freezer so they don't go stale.)

* Note about Rapadura sweetened choc chips - I bought these at a co-op store in Cairns (Qld) so I know they're available, but I'm not sure where else to get them. I know in the USA you can get malt sweetened choc chips, but I haven't been able to find them here. If anyone has links to sites where you can order either of these, please let us all know in the comments!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Almond Butter Choc Chip Cookies - DF WF (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:18:47 am »
Jo, not sure whether this place delivers, or exactly what's in the chocolate chips but...
https://www.organicdeliverysydney.com.au

Also, their rapadura price seems really good.  Checking out the others now.  All depends on whether they'll deliver outside NSW.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:22 am »
They look great too Jo - the new environment seems to be agreeing with you and the TMX.  Good to see.

Did they last long?  Did you need to put some in the freezer - remember when I was a kid, we seemed to always be emptying that bickie jar

Add-on - meant to say that it is so easy to make almond butter with the TMX - great idea
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:07:41 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:19:21 am »
Did they last long?  Did you need to put some in the freezer - remember when I was a kid, we seemed to always be emptying that bickie jar

No, they never last long!!  I put two rolls of dough in the freezer, and they were gone in two days too - oh well.
I hid some of them from my dh, but he found them!   :-\

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:36:20 am »
I just made these and they're in the oven now! Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I just got done licking the spoon and I can't wait till they're out! ;) I may have overcrowded the baking tray though.. You're right, it makes a lot! I only did a 1/2 portion and my little oven is full of big bikkies. YUM! I'll report back success or failure ASAP.

Oh, I used buckwheat flower instead of spelt.. to make it GF. :) Soon find out if it worked!

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:44:07 am »
Oh my gosh, I'm in GF choc chip biscuit heaven!!!  :D
Can't write more - one handed typing with choc-coated fingers. ;)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:42 am »
Ha ha ha!! YAY!!  :D

So did you use all buckwheat flour? That is so cool they worked!!! I'm going to have to try that too now, thank you!!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:56 am »
They look really awesome Jo. Need to wait for the weekend now to make some. Work really gets in the way of my cooking sometimes.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:12 am »
Tell me about it, Twitterpated!! Sometimes I get so frustrated with all the work I need to do - I just want to BAKE!!!  ;D

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:16 am »
Yes, they worked so very very well. :) My oven was a little hot (I used the wood oven, so temps can be a little tricky), so the outsides got a little dark, and the insides were ever so slightly moist still.. oh, it didn't matter! DH was instantly addicted and ate almost all of them one after the other. He said they were better than any GF biscuit we've bought at the shop, ever. It's funny because he was craving peanut butter cookies the other day (he's originally from the USA, and I don't get his crazy obsession with peanut butter, but sadly we can't eat it on this diet anyway).  ;)

I'm going to have to make some more now - perhaps I should have made the double batch after all. :D

Yep, I used all buckwheat flower. I didn't have raw honey, just some honey DH got from a work mate who's father makes it. We didn't have the special sugar, just organic raw sugar. I used sunflower oil in the almond mix, and rice bran oil in the next bit. We happened to have some gluten & dairy free choc-chips from freedom foods (I think) so I used those up. Otherwise, exactly as you wrote it. ;) haha

DH said he'd be just as happy without the choc-chips. I was hoping to use currants next time anyway.

Thank you again!  :-*