Author Topic: Motivation required  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Motivation required
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:24 am »
Thanks Chookie, yes it certainly is the way to get rid of quite a few zuchinni .  I keep telling DH not to grow so many but he never listens  LOL.
Back in my hippy days when we bought our first dehydrator (Harvest Maid) I use to be sent a newsletter with recipe and ideas on it. 
Here is one tip listed
I thought of Uni with this one as I think she mentioned drying  mushrooms. 
Try reconstituting dried mushrooms in a mixture of white wine and teriaki sauce.(sorry no measurements given).  This also helps to tenderise the mushrooms and they make a great addition to a stir-fry or casserole.  Must say I haven't tried it.
I can't see who the author of this tip is and again haven't tried it
Taco Chips
1 Cup whole kernel or creamed corn
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated, (not the ready grated chesse)
1/2 cup red or green peppers, diced
1 tbsp onion chopped
1/8th tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
In Blender (TM now) blend together all ingredients at high speed.Spread mixture thinly onto solid sheets. Dry at 55 degrees C for approx 10 hours or until dry on one side. Lift entire ring off sheet turn over and dry for 2 hours longer or until crisp. Break into chips.

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
Re: Motivation required
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:00 pm »
I have been going from buying to non buying for a few months now, when/if I do I will get the big one. I have been lucky enough to borrow a a four tray round one from a friend to try. I have found some things great others not so.
I did make veggie stick without the salt, dry it then ground to powder, so far I have used this for lots of things and has been great.
I have also  done lots of bananas - great. Strawberrys once - not great. Apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon - great.
I dont eat grain so I have made cookies out of cashew butter, almonds and dates ( sometimes with cocoa and bananas ) and dried them to make a great little snack to have with a cuppa. I have dried some broccoli cauliflower and carrot with the intention of trying them in my thermal pot but as yet have not had a chance. I am kind of hoping that they make "take up " some of the liquid in the thermal pot as I often find they have too much liquid at the end.
Last week I dried some capsicum and some mushrooms as a test and re hydrated them for pizza last night ( for the boys ) they couldn't really tell the difference. I want to try tomatoes when they are in abundance in the garden. I also plan "if" I get one to use it for proofing dough in the winter.
I think what I am really looking for is a way to keep extra produce from the garden .... I hate canned food so its either freezing or dehydrating.
 Unfortunately for me I am much more health conscious than my teenage boys who just figure its much easier to just buy dried from from the shop and are not so happy to have bananas etc with a chewy texture rather than the shop crispy dried/fried ones ( coated in "numbers".
After saying  all that .......I am still not 100% sure if dehydrating will be the way to go a good machine is over $400. So far because of the influence on here ( no buy October ) I was never planning on buying it this month anyway.  ;D