Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 794440 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1560 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
The first week back from holidays, I spent almost $200! I did buy steak, mince ,diced beef and calamari though.
This week I have been to the supermarket and the grower market and I have spent $123. I still need to buy bread and a few small items, but I'm hoping I can keep under $135.
My freezer and cupboards Re still really full. I'm not sure why!!!!!
I will try to be more disciplined  :)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

mcmich

« Reply #1561 on: October 14, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »
$76.00 last week. Really pleased that I've been keeping under $100.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 14, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
DH keeping spending tally from now on.
However it will be food and cleaning stuff from Aldi. He won't separate these so anything we buy to eat or use in house like loo paper etc will be counted.
Will report in due course.

I think everyone is doing brilliantly, I haven't read it all but some pages made me think I'd accidentally stumbled on the shopping thread!!!!!!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 14, 2012, 09:49:01 pm »
I have not  reported in for a while because I have become so disciplined about not buying things I do ot need anymore. This  has been a great thread. I am sure we have all learned a lesson in  shopping for food.

Obbie where did you get such cheap chicken? 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 14, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »
No Aldi any where around here. We have WW or IGA
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 15, 2012, 06:20:20 am »
My grand total for this week was...$48.09.  :D :D :D :D

Doing the happy dance!  :D

Fantastic Astarra, great feeling.

Well I am feeling very good, even though I spent more than I wanted to this week, $92. DH came shopping on monday which meant lots of bits I wouldnt buy in 1 hit, but never mind. I also stocked up on cereals, vegemite & a few other things. Lollies for the plane & snacks etc.

Well I have averaged my shopping out  over the 18 weeks & it is $102.40 for a weekly average. Great idea Michele.

So happy happy  as that is a huge saving.

This also included a lot of cooking for eb here & also my friend, plus my christmas in July party & buying 30kgs of flour for the goodie bag.

I cant be any happier than this. To achieve this from spending $250-$300 per weeks  is a HUGE improvement.

We all deserve a huge round of applause.

;D

Awesome work H! I have been away but back with a vengeance now! Food from the freezer tonight (cottage pie) which will also be a lunch for hubby tomorrow. I have plenty of meat in the freezer and am hoping my $103 spend on sunday will last me for a week and a half - finger crossed!

I had a bonus yesterday, picked about 10kg of free mulberry's which is now 6 jars of mulberry, pear & vanilla jam, a crumble cake and 7 x 500g bags in the freezer! (as well as a favour owed from my neighbour that I gave 1kg to!) I have my eye on 2 fig trees ; ) I can feel some fig jam(!) coming on!

Even my sceptical husband has noticed the difference in the food bills and the quality of the food (all fresh and tasty) which is the TM, he thought it would be another gadget that I grew bored of, how wrong is he?!!!

Keep up the good work everyone, Emma xx
Where's Wally?

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 15, 2012, 06:22:05 am »
Way to go Emma!!  :D
:D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 15, 2012, 06:27:19 am »
Figs? Figs? Do I hear Figs?

BWAAAAAAAAA!

Gimme.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:05 am »
Figs? Figs? Do I hear Figs?

What do they sound like Gert? ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1569 on: October 15, 2012, 06:55:23 am »
Haven't clocked in for a while but last couple of weeks under $100.  Mr Woolie is wondering what is going on and has started to offer incentives .  Ha.  Can't fool me.  The stall holders at the Farmers Markets are offering me free meat , fruit and veggies.  I insist on paying,  but they seem to sneak in  a little extra.  I am going to make Pasties this week with Oysterblade Steak.  Will post in Non TMX section.  

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 15, 2012, 07:53:37 am »
Gert, IGA atherton..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 15, 2012, 08:40:22 am »
Amy they are saying gurt gurt.

IGA has them?

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #1572 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
Wel done Emma. Oh to have figs.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 15, 2012, 12:16:07 pm »
No, no, no. The figs are saying "sue", "sue", "sue"
In our previous house there was a huge, old fig tree next door which hung over our fence. We got loads and loads of lovely, juicy figs every year. I really miss that tree, and to make it worse, the people that bought our house removed all the fruit trees and cut back the neighbours trees to the fence line.
I trip to the supermarket for a couple of items turned into $37. I needed bread and yoghurt and strawberries. I also bought 2 punnets of blueberries, asparagus, a capsicum( there weren't any at the market) , 2 bananas, and the bread rolls looked good so I bought 6 and then some free range chicken patties and some lean turkey patties. The kids polished off a punnet of blueberries and the yoghurt after school and we had burgers for dinner and the kids have rolls for lunch tomorrow.
I don't have much to show for my $37 now!
Good to see you back Mmsie :)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 15, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »
The Figs are saying 'Emma', well the owner of the tree has said 'you can have them Emma' which is magic to my ears! The issue is I am selling the house (it's vacant) and if I sell it too quickly the buyer will get the figs! Thanks a conflict of interests to a jam maker lol, I think they are about a month away so I should be fine, unless I get a purchaser that wants the figs too! Haha
Where's Wally?