Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 805260 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2012, 12:40:01 am »
I don't come across many other Amys. I don't know why ???
We have a beautiful niece called Amy ;D

:D :D :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2012, 12:46:04 am »
Everyone is doing so well ;D

Jude59 thats fantastic, so much out of a ham hock. I put mine in the slow cooker ivernight, use the stock & meat for a big soup.

Chookie have a great trip.

Tam, I used the rice bran oil for my choc chip cookies as I had not veg oil, they turned out delish. Will try in mayo, thanks.

Looking at my meal plans for next week

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:55 am »
Have a nice relaxing holiday Chookie, hope you are feeling much better now. :-* :-*

Jude, how much did your ham hock weigh?  I've seen them in Foodland but they don't look big enough to do everything that you've done with one.  I have only used them in the past for making pea & ham soup but that was prior to the TMX arriving when I used to make a stock pot of soup. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2012, 01:51:37 am »
Hally i spent $120 this week, $88 last week. so only $8 over in 2 weeks, no spend till next sunday.

very happy.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2012, 04:14:17 am »
I'm way under budget still. Feeling very proud of myself. $64 spent on fruit and veg which should last us a couple of weeks.  Our fridge is fantastic so everything lasts a really long time and I only buy from the farmers market which would make a huge difference. I also freeze a lot.  If I don't think I'll finish a pineapple before it starts going funny i'll cut it up and freeze it for smoothies, spring onions and leek I always cut up and freeze straight away so it doesn't get wasted. I bung it into a recipe frozen usually. You can prepare your spring onion and drop all the cut up bits of it into an old drink bottle then just dispense as much as you need.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2012, 04:28:15 am »
Have just got back from the growers market, and have added up my purchases with trepidation. I bought milk, eggs, spuds, apples, mandies, kiwi fruit, mushrooms, coriander, oranges, carrots, Olives, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, capsicum, tomatoes and metwurst. It came to $65.45. Added to my supermarket visits, I have spent $112.20 out of my $135 budget. I am very happy.:)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2012, 05:15:50 am »
Ran out of bread, milk & cheese so my total for the week now comes to $139 which should be it as new week starts tuesday. Not bad considering had to buy extras for DD's birthday party. Running out of a few essential pantry items so will be tough to stick to budget. On the upside, I can now see some gaps in my freezer!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 17, 2012, 05:16:59 am »
l was doing well with the challenge this fornight

UNTIL

l saw my husband sneak into the house with a bag full of  junk food  chips ,chocolate ect  
he would not give me the receipt as he knew l was doing this challenge  but l threaten to starve him   (not talking about food  :) ;D :D )
and he told me he spent $33

looks like he did not like what l was buying him  so he thought  l will fix that

Well, that's good for you Nazar - he spent his money not your housekeeping.  Will he share the goodies with you though, that's the burning question  :D

Hey Judy (he he) - as soon as i mentioned "starving" - he was very willing to do anything  ;D

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 17, 2012, 05:19:04 am »
Everyone is going great , well done.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 17, 2012, 05:28:02 am »
Obbie, great work ;D

Brummington love the freezing leek & spring oniins, never though of that.

ES your doing really well.

Deedub, loving gaps, none yet for me as I tend to make things and put in the freezer ??? Pantry is def less cluttered.

Menu plan

Sunday silverside, mash potatoes & veg/salad
Moday beef fillet with chilli dipping sauce, grren beans & rice
Tuesday, soup
Wednesday gnocchi pasta
Thursday, shepherds pie from frozen left over silverside
Friday left overs
Saturday pizza, have 2 kids for sleepover, adults maybe curry from freezer, not sure yet

H :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #520 on: June 17, 2012, 05:42:12 am »
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes for Holiday.  We are going to a National Park near Batemans Bay,  on the NSW South Coast.
Will post more info in Chit Chat so if anyone is in the area and would like to join us for a coffee they will be able to contact us.  Will try and keep in touch.

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 17, 2012, 06:13:13 am »
Thursday, shepherds pie from frozen left over silverside

Hey Hally, how do you make your shepherds pie from leftovers? Our pork roast is enormous and I was wondering if I could do the same sort of thing with our leftovers from that.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:42 am »
Amy,  roast pork makes fab shepherds pie.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 17, 2012, 10:39:13 am »
Amy,

You can use any roast meat
1kg  potatoes, peeled 150g butter Knob of beef dripping (optional) 2 onions, chopped 2 carrots, diced 2 sticks celery, diced 1 tsp dried thyme 600g shin of beef, chopped into small pieces 350ml good quality beef stock 1 tsp cornflour Worcestershire sauce 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Cut your potatoes into evenly sized chunks, and put in a large pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender. 2. Meanwhile, heat the dripping, if you have any left over from your last roast, or butter in a pan over a moderate heat, then add the vegetables. Soften, but do not brown. 3. Add the thyme, and then the beef. Brown it all over, and then add half the stock. Whisk the other half with the cornflour, and then stir into the meat mixture. Add a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce and allow to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. 4. Drain the potatoes and mash with a generous slab of butter. Season to taste. 5. Taste and season the meat, adding more Worcestershire sauce if necessary. If it looks dry, pour in a little water. 6. Put the meat into a large baking dish and top with the potato. For a nice crispy top, I like to add it in lumps, or you can run a fork over the top if you prefer. Dot with small pieces of butter. 7. Put into the oven for about 40 minutes, until the potato is crisp and slightly brown, then serve.

Cant remeber where this came from but it is great. I mae it a lt with left over roast r soag bol or lasagna.

Hhttp://

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 17, 2012, 10:45:20 am »
Amy,  roast pork makes fab shepherds pie.

Thats good to know, thanks Chookie :D

That recipe looks yum Hally, thank you :) I think we will have it for dinner tomorrow night ;D