Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 795031 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2012, 03:41:50 am »
Chocolate, cheese, Chocolate, cheese, Chocolate, cheese, Chocolate, cheese,
You get my drift & maybe some cashew nuts. I did buy nobbys mixed nuts this week :D

Its getting tougher too I reckon. When we have eb for 8 days in a row, I will put it up to $135 that week.

Thans Obbie, i think one week is going to be very interesting, vinegar, veg oil parmesan, sugar, salt, getting low on lots of things >:(

I did find 2 bottles of rice bran oil in my pantry, what did I buy that for ???

H :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:48:37 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:13 am »
Thankfully no little surprises when we got home.  Arrived back early tuesday morning and got a taxi home.  Did what we did last time and combated the jetlag and overtiredness by drinking a nice big glass of wine (or two) - at 9:00am - for medicinal purposes only of course - haha - helps to unwind so we can catch up on a bit of lost sleep :) too hard to settle down when you first get home otherwise....

JD it is fun - I really enjoy the challenge of planning and creating great meals on a budget.  Baked beans and ham hock are in the slow cooker today - hoping they turn out really tasty.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2012, 04:10:21 am »
Welcome back Jude.

Obbie I am up $92.80 this no spend week. Yahoo. Only spent $7.20 . Next week I will need fruit and veg but still no meat until I see the duck at the bottom of my new freezer.

Any good veggie places up there?

Gert
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:27:14 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2012, 04:19:16 am »
Gretchen, yungaburra markets are next sat, june 23.

I like to buy fruit and veg at the welcome mart in Atherton, just seems fresher too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:23 am »
Gretchen, yungaburra markets are next sat, june 23.

I like to buy fruit and veg at the welcome mart in Atherton, just seems fresher too.

I was thinking. About coming up on Wed to pick up the book.  Tell me again where I can find you as  I have totally forgotten. I think I put the message in my computer but where I know not.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:29 am »
Well I did well this week with $10 left, and just did a shop and that came to $51 so going good, mind you the freezer is now only half full, I don't think it's ever been that empty since I bought it lol. The best thing is when shopping I am sticking to the list which I thought would be hard but isn't.  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2012, 05:17:59 am »
I have the pump & irrigation shop opposite the pub.

there is a coffee shop, then us, then the pharmacy next door.

You can't miss me.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:05 am »
Ok I will post here when I figure out what is happening next week.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 15, 2012, 06:57:58 am »
Well done thermo 18. Its a nice feeling to see space. Still cant see much in the freezer, but now I open the pantry door without things falling out. I am liking that.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 15, 2012, 07:23:16 am »
I'm finding this challenge so good for helping clean out the freezer and pantry - tho I think there is only a choice or pork or chicken or pork or chicken in the meat drawer.. :-)) May be time to buy some more fish or red meat!!!
So far this week I have spent a whole $64.70 - not too bad considering I had a no spend week last week!  ;D

Am looking forward to having some space in the freezer again so I can start my list of what is in there again... used to know exactly what, exactly where and exactly when soething was in the freezer, got out of routine (what with bub #3 arriving,a renovation which left me without a kitchen for a month (this was pre TM too  :o) amy eldest girl starting school 5 days/week and BIL moving house and giving me all the stuff left in their freezer...) and am VERY keen to get back into it again!!!

Thanx for starting this, Hallex!!  :D
:D

mcmich

« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:38 am »
I've still only spent $73.88c. I was considering trying to have a non spend week again but have thought differently now. I don't want to get low on pantry items so next week I will spend up to $100.00 on stocking up on things that are running low and any specials I might see.
I will be really happy if I stick to $100 a week long term.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #491 on: June 15, 2012, 07:37:21 am »
My aim is to stick to $100 weekly long term. I started just after Christmas mainly because we had so many leftovers etc and then got addicted to it.  Really enjoyed having all that extra money in my account on holiday.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 15, 2012, 07:40:59 am »
It does pay to keep your stocks up otherwise you won't be able to cook the meals you want.  I've not spent another cent this week since I shopped and don't expect I will need to tomorrow either (the end of my challenge week) so it will be $69.69 for this week for me. I won't add it to the list though until the end of tomorrow just to be sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #493 on: June 15, 2012, 08:08:24 am »
I just did my monthly groceries online and spent $320. That was for groceries, meat, toiletries, catfood etc. Now I have $180 for fruit, veg, milk and cream for the month. Am hoping to come in under $500 for our family of four.  :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:31 am »
This is harder than it looks! I had to visit two supermarkets as the first was out of something that was on my list. I stuck to my list in the first supermarket. However, the second had rice bran oil half price, and I know that my bottle in the cupboard is almost empty, so I bought a bottle, and I bought some lamb offcuts which I will cook in the PC for dinner one night. Not strictly on the list, but is now on the meal plan for the week. I also bought 2 leeks that were on special to add to the lonely one in the fridge, and will make soup for another meal during the week. I spent a total of $46.75 on food at the supermarkets, but I still have to visit the growers market on the weekend to get milk, eggs, fruit and vege etc
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous