Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 805425 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:10 am »
My shopping for week 2 of this challenge came to $31.76 for fruit & veg + $37.93 at Foodland - Total $69.69, happy with that as I got heaps of F & V at Farmer Jo's in the Port.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2012, 07:03:47 am »
I am loving those numbers JD  ;D  ;D  ;D  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

mcmich

« Reply #407 on: June 12, 2012, 07:56:32 am »
I have done alright so far this week but it is only Tuesday.
Bought $56.00 of fruit and veg, included eggs and a 10 kilo bag of potatoes. I had a voucher and got $14.00 off so that came down to $42.00 and spent $8.00 at Coles.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:10 am »
Yes that's great Judy.  I wish we had a fruit & veg shop here with their bargains.  Only have the supermarkets so it all depends on what they have going out on special, but nothing like I hear/see others buying from the stand alone stores.

My shopping will be very minor this week too.  Using stuff up from the freezer and making meals around them will see me only having to buy the very basics too.  I usually shop on Monday's but I should be able to leave it until Thursday or Friday this week.  ;D

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 12, 2012, 08:06:08 am »
I enjoy reading about all your thrifty ideas. I haven't joined this challenge as I rarely spend over £30 ($46 ) per week and that includes the cleaning stuff. I do live on my own though and that means that if I don't feel like making a meal, then I don't. As a dressmaker, machine knitter and machine embroiderer, I just love using up fabric or cutting down clothes to re-vamp them. My button and zip boxes are overflowing with the saving of these. I'm afraid that I spend what I save, mainly on gadgets and technology.  :-))
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

mcmich

« Reply #410 on: June 12, 2012, 08:26:10 am »
Dot, I love jars and tins of buttons.
Have inherited several lovely old jars of buttons from my MIL. Has even got buttons from armed forces - guessing from FIL.
Some of the buttons are glass too, so very pretty.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:39 am »
I have an antique pharmacy glass jar that holds all my buttons. Heaven forbid if a) my kids ever get hold of it and it smashes or b) I need a button that is near the bottom! I love old buttons and collecting swatches of fabrics! There is a fantastic button shop near my work that stocks so many buttons that if I am ever stuck to find a match for a missing button I'm sure to find one there. Also, change of subject, but anyone with young kids- I highly recommend an app called Bugs and Buttons. Absolutely gorgeous educational games for kids with a recycling theme as well as all of the mini games are based around buttons and insects. Very cute and engaging.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:24 am »
I've decided to join in as well. I didn't go to the growers market this week as I was away for the weekend, but I've added up the supermarket and butcher bill from last week and it came to $270!! Like Hally, I'm a bit of a food hoarder too, so I'm determined to eat my way through the freezer and pantry cupboard. I have 4 mouths it feed, so I'll aim for $100 but will be happy with $135 ($5/person/day).  I told my husband - he rolled his eyes and with a big smile on his face, said" Good luck!"

I usually visit the supermarket on Fridays and the growers market on Sunday. I shouldn't need to go shopping until then. I'm not a meal planner type of person so it will be interesting to see how I go. Tonight we are having leftover beef and ale stew with mashed potatoes. I have even used half powdered milk and half jersey milk in the mash as we are low on milk as I didn't get to the market this week.

H, I'm happy to run a spreadsheet if you would like me too.

ES
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:54 am »
ES, welcome to our challenge :). Sounds like your dh & mine are the same, i think he is happily surprised that 2 weeks in a row I have come in under $100.

A spreadsheet woud be great, it s a great idea to track everyone.
I have added you to the lst :)
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:57 am »
Did my weekly shop today and, added to my Aussie farmers delivery, so far I've spent $125. I'm pretty happy with that as I bought party food which I don't normally get eg. soft drink, chips, ice cream - would have easily come in under budget without that stuff. Plus I bought a 5kg bag of bread flour and some coffee - those 2 items alone were over $18.
This is definitely changing my shopping habits - when I run out of something I immediately add it to my shopping list (on my phone) and then buy it next time I shop. Now however, I ask myself if I REALLY need it THIS week and just carry the item over to the next week if the answer is no. Saves me having a pantry full of stuff I bought "just in case".
Melbourne, inner north

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
Michele, I inherited my MIL's button collection too. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #416 on: June 12, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »
I don't do a lot with my collection JD. Sits on my Nan's Singer treadle machine.
The jar is pretty amazing.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
The old buttons are great - modern ones tend to be pretty boring though.  My mum had a great button box but I have no idea whatever happened to that, I used to love playing with them when I was little.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27:22 am »
Our prices for groceries are much dearer up here than down south.  $100 doesn't go far for a family, let alone tuckshop for kids once a week.

:)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:28 am »
Our prices for groceries are much dearer up here than down south.  $100 doesn't go far for a family, let alone tuckshop for kids once a week.

:)

Too true Robyn. The prices in Coles at Smithfield have gone ballistic.  I am having a no spend week for sure. Only absolute necessities  and so far only $7.60 but it is only  Wed. I don't think I will go out of the house.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.