Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 802538 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:40 am »
Nextt week is definitely a no shop week. I only spent $70 this week.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2012, 05:42:16 am »
Very happy with myself only spent $46.00 this week.
Not menu planning this week only made one meal from my list last week. :D Have meat in the freezer that need using up, so its going to be a lucky dip, this week. And a few meals frozen, for the days when I cant be bothered cooking.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

mcmich

« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2012, 06:44:26 am »
I'm going to have a no shop week next week (again). My no shop this week has cost me $140.00 so far.

I have got another way I'm saving now. I have an entertainment book that I purchased for a school fundraiser.
In it you can buy gift cards for Coles, Woolies, Kmart etc. $100 gift cards for $95.00.
I have purchased for Coles and Woolies so I can get the specials at either store.
You can purchase up to $4000.00 worth of gift cards over the year at each store.
Every little bit helps.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2012, 07:47:53 am »
so spend $4000 save $200 Michelle ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:02 am »
Brumington our insurance went up by $900 this year.  They told me because we have the same postcode as the near by town that had some flooding that we also have to bear the cost.  We live up in the hills and Noah's ark would have to be built for our home to flood.  I went shopping around and ended up changing companies.  In the process of ringing around discovered that current insurance didn't cover many things that I had asked for.  Very annoyed.

Hoping this week we will be under budget.

mcmich

« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:28 am »
so spend $4000 save $200 Michelle ;D

Well I'm spending $100 every week anyway. So that means I could have two weeks worth of groceries for free if I purchased $4000.00 worth of gift cards over the year.
I wouldn't buy them all at once. Maybe every 5 weeks.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 08, 2012, 10:13:46 am »
Well so far so good for stretching it out for a week - won't talk too soon as my week goes from Tues - Mon, but as Mon is a public holiday I think I can wait til next shooping day (Tues) which means a no spend week for me!!  ;D Yay!!
By the way I usually budget $150/week, for this challenge my budget is $100/week for the 2 Adults, 3 kids and any visitors we have. Oh, and the cravings...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:15:17 am by astarra »
:D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »
By the way I usually budget $150/week, for this challenge my budget is $100/week for the 2 Adults, 3 kids and any visitors we have. Oh, and the cravings...

I bet its the cravings that break the bank, right astarra? :-)) ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »
Amy, want to join us :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »
Michelle, its great idea with the gift cards, if you can, it all helps.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2012, 12:19:40 am »
Amy, want to join us :)

I would love to Hally. I have been following this thread with great interest and admiration for you innovative ladies ;)
BUT since this thread has been up and running I have paid more attention to our food bill, and am very scared by how much we spend and how we would cut it down. I'm afraid I would fail at this challenge :-[

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 09, 2012, 12:21:37 am »
I have the entertainment book too. If you buy a $100 voucher do you have to spend it in one hit? That woudnt work for me on this budget.

Looking at the menu plan for next week, trying to work out how to keep it under $100. I am out of a few things, olive oil, vegemite, cereals,  rock salt, just pantry items. Thought I might have a week using frozen veg & a small amount of fresh fruit & veg. That might help keep the cost down as my minimum order is $25 for aussie farmers. I still have lots of potatoes, carrots & onions, have some tinned items too.

Mum to Crown Prince......

jakodai

« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2012, 12:59:48 am »
No Hally, they're like credit cards. You'll get a gift card with your money on it, and you just use it until its empty. They also have a 12 month expiry.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2012, 03:26:08 am »
As anticipated (and expected) I blew my budget last week by approx. $30.00.  I'm not sure of the exact amount as I got my budget cash confused with the rest of my wallet, but the $30.00 overspend is probably pretty accurate.

Just back from the market and I've got $10.00 left over from this week's budget.  I know I'll blow it again, but as I've said before, the challenge really focuses you on what you are spending and it has already made a big difference to my "bottom line" (and I don't mean my hips - but that would be good if they eventually felt a shrinking difference due to the challenge as well).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2012, 04:52:41 am »
This week is looking good.  Just did the menu plan and don't really need to buy much.
Fri - bacon & eggs, mushrooms, zucchini, capsicum, tomato and silverbeet
Sat - green chick curry, (curry paste & chick from freezer, veg in fridge, rice pantry)
Sun - corned beef & veg (freezer & fridge)
Mon - mac cheese with tuna, corn, other veg (pantry & freezer)
Tues - lamb shanks (freezer)
Wed - silverbeet soup & bread (garden & pantry)
Thurs - Rissoles & veg (freezer & pantry)

Have made a big batch of baby food for the freezer so the littlest one is set for the week

So apart from paying for our milk obsession and some bread, that should be it for the week.  If I'm under still by Thurs will stock up a bit just so I can keep to $100 per week.