Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 795258 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:25 pm »
This week I will try to have a no shop week which I do like Judydawn.  We will se how that goes.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »
It can be done Gretchen. I've just had my third in 5 weeks and today I will be ready to start Hally's challenge so it will be off to the shops for me.  Only difference is now I will have to document my menu plans and spending on here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2012, 01:39:49 am »
Gert if you can do that, amazing. What about milk & fresh fruit & veg?

JD,  I will be interested  in how you go over the month as you do this anyway.

Having 4 mouths to feed all with adult appetites what I have  noticed is I have no left overs. Last night we had lamb, was expecting some lamb left to make pies but all gone. Tonight was pizza but dh wants to take us out for pizza for lunch tomorrow, so off to Raffles we go. We have $170 worth of vouchers left he won which need to be used up by September. So dinner is not pizza & lunch is not pies!!!!

Lunch, johnros mac beef from the freezer for the boys, us soup or toasted sandwich
Dinner, chicken noodle soup, followed by bacon & egg pies if they are hungry. Rice pudding

I love the challenge, having to think outside the square is great. Normally I would  have said OK better go to the shops & buy soething as I dont know what we can eat today.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:00 am »
H,  pleased to see that you have to change what is on the menu.  This is what I find happens all the time. Will post menu but don't expect that I will be able to stick to it. ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2012, 04:07:41 am »
went shopping today, blew the budget totally, as I had DH and kids with me.
But, picked up olive oil, and EVOO 1/2 price.

I wont have to shop at all next week, only milk, fruit.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Joon

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2012, 04:13:29 am »
I'm the same achookwoman- the very first day I started budget challenge-we ended up having homemade fish and chips- definately not on the menu!  Well, we will see how it all goes for the rest of the week! DH is home tonight, so will have to cook 'real' food for the rest of the week! :-))
Halex- the kids get $4 a week for their lolly fix...I think I'd have a rebellion if I took it away or halved it!  I think I will actually give them a lolly allowance in cash- then it doesnt come out of the food budget!  ;)
This challenge is great- I actually looked through my chest freezer and realised I had WAY more food in there than I thought!  My pantry is up to date though!  I like the idea of having a shop free week- I'll try week next week (except for vegies and fruit...)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:38 am »
Well I blew the budget girls but that didn't surprise me seeing as I spent nothing last week.  I make a list of food that I run out of or need as I go and this week I menu planned.  I only bought what was on the list apart from my contributions for the goody bags at the retreat (saved $24 as they were on special today).  Of course I have taken that tally off the total bill and I came in at $106.88 which is still very good over a 2 week period which is how I do my own budgetting.  I want to stick to Hally's rules for now though so I promise to come in under budget next week.

Menu plan in no set order and, like others, I may or may not even do some of these dishes.

Moroccan Chicken with carrot puree from the 2012 calendar
Leftover chicken will be turned into a chicken and mushroom pasta
Laksa
Chicken & Veg soup
Panini Bread Rolls with BBQ chicken sausages & caramelised onions
The Tarts Tart
Others days - leftovers, freezer meals or eating out.

Other items on the plan for making this week

Yoghurt
Harissa paste
Cornflake biscuits
Beetroot jam
Queen of Puddings
Creme Brulee

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:47 am »
Gert- we're in bayside Melbourne and as far as I know this program has been running for some time. The name of the recipe,  date the food was cooked as well as a complete ingredient list is written on the lid and then a expiry date- usually 3 months. There have never been any cases of food poisoning and there are strict guidelines about what can and can't be included eg no nuts policy of the school etc. sometimes specific requests come up eg vegetarian, gluten free etc but usually any meal that is suitable for freezing eg pasta bakes, cakes, soups and curries are fine. There is definitely a demand for the meals as whenever the stocks are getting low in the freezer we are all asked to cook up another meal.

We do this at my church . Also amongst our group of friends whenever someone has a baby or is sick etc we fOrm a meal roster. I also offer to make a meal for mums at the school I know are having a rough time etc. people underestimate the way something so simple can send so much love and boost someone's spirits. I may be busy and not always have time for lots of things, but we all have time to whip up a meal, and the tmx makes it even easier to bless someone with a meal or a cake :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2012, 05:59:21 am »
Gert- we're in bayside Melbourne and as far as I know this program has been running for some time. The name of the recipe,  date the food was cooked as well as a complete ingredient list is written on the lid and then a expiry date- usually 3 months. There have never been any cases of food poisoning and there are strict guidelines about what can and can't be included eg no nuts policy of the school etc. sometimes specific requests come up eg vegetarian, gluten free etc but usually any meal that is suitable for freezing eg pasta bakes, cakes, soups and curries are fine. There is definitely a demand for the meals as whenever the stocks are getting low in the freezer we are all asked to cook up another meal.

We do this at my church . Also amongst our group of friends whenever someone has a baby or is sick etc we fOrm a meal roster. I also offer to make a meal for mums at the school I know are having a rough time etc. people underestimate the way something so simple can send so much love and boost someone's spirits. I may be busy and not always have time for lots of things, but we all have time to whip up a meal, and the tmx makes it even easier to bless someone with a meal or a cake :)

I think the world needs more caring, generous people to do these things for the less fortunate among us. Its so easy to forget about them when you lead a comfortable life.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2012, 06:17:33 am »
went shopping today, blew the budget totally, as I had DH and kids with me.
But, picked up olive oil, and EVOO 1/2 price.

I wont have to shop at all next week, only milk, fruit.

Robyn

That's the problem I will have on Thursday Robin :D, why do kids make us spend more?
Can we by this?
Can we try that?
Please mum can I have?
:D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2012, 06:45:01 am »
This is the plan for the week,  I will try and stick to it.
Monday  Lunch Ricotta and silverbeet slice in Puff Pastry
             Dinner Sausages, mashed pots and cabbage and Lemon Pie ( new Recipe)

Tuesday Lunch Spring rolls from left over Chow Mien on Sunday
             Dinner fish in Varoma with veggies,   Lemon Pie

Wednesday Lunch Eggs on Sour dough toast
                 Dinner  Corned Beef and Apple Pie (new recipe)

Thursday out all day,  Grandparents Day Will take leftover for family, and make vanilla Slice for daughters work staff. Also Impossible Coconut Pie for GC lunches.

Friday    Lunch   Soup from freezer,  sour dough from freezer
           Dinner    Lamb Chops, pots and veggies. Waffles

Saturday Lunch Toasted Sandwiches and soup
            Dinner Roast Chicken and roast veggies , Chocolate pud, self saucing

Sunday Lunch  Chicken Sandwiches
           Dinner  Beef stir fry with noodles.

Will need to bake biscuits so as not tempted to buy Tim Tams.
Local Farmers Market day on Sat.  A real test. Will try and limit what I buy during the week.  I like the idea of not shopping one week.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2012, 06:51:31 am »
Joon, yes give the kids their own cash then  it wont be food money :)

Judy is Hariisa paste morrocan? Which recipe are you using? You dd very well as you didnt spend any money last week. Will you shop again this week?

I agree we should all give more when we can :)

Robyn & Dede its aways dangerous shopping with kids.

Chookie menu looks good.

Started to write my list, I need olive oil, do I buy a large one or a small one, hope to find a large one n special.

H :)

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2012, 06:54:00 am »

That's the problem I will have on Thursday Robin :D, why do kids make us spend more?
Can we by this?
Can we try that?
Please mum can I have?
[/quote]

get a baby sitter for them, its cheaper lol
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2012, 06:56:08 am »
H where do u shop C or W
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2012, 06:56:55 am »

Can we by this?
Can we try that?
Please mum can I have?

get a baby sitter for them, its cheaper lol
[/quote]

Lol. Good idea :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.