Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 808209 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2012, 05:57:26 am »
I'm looking forward to my grocery shopping next week to see how well I can do. Although I will have kids with me so could be an extra challenge. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2012, 06:18:50 am »
Chookie, wow, you did really well.

Yes loving not having to unload bags & bags & then try & find a place for them. Hopefully by the end of June, there will be space in the freezer, pantry & fridge. It woukd be nice to be able to see clearly what I have in the pantry rather thamoving things & thinking yes I know  its somewhere, but where.....

H :)

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2012, 06:56:56 am »
You are all doing so well and are very inspiring. I'm making some lists and planning a few meals for when I get home and can start with the rest of you. We get home 12 June.   spent around 80€ plus a few meals out this week. Today we leave for St Remy in Provence but I won't have a kitchen there - Haha - I don't mind:)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

mcmich

« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:57 am »
Final for the week, $44.50.  Great,  instead of $250.  Even bought DH a little pressie,  jar of honey.  Had to ask my self if I could do without the bag of flour.  YES,  I can use up some of the bits floating around. Did buy a fruit bun for $2,50,  to see what they put in it.
Robbery.  The shopping bag not included,  a gift from a dear friend in England.  One of the great advantages of this Challenge is not having to put away a pile of stuff. ;D ;D ;D
Love the bag Chookie.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:40 am »
Final for the week, $44.50.  Great,  instead of $250.  Even bought DH a little pressie,  jar of honey.  Had to ask my self if I could do without the bag of flour.  YES,  I can use up some of the bits floating around. Did buy a fruit bun for $2,50,  to see what they put in it.
Robbery.  The shopping bag not included,  a gift from a dear friend in England.  One of the great advantages of this Challenge is not having to put away a pile of stuff. ;D ;D ;D

I want one for my mum ;D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2012, 07:35:55 am »
OK- if I take away the extra expenses this week I am about $115 - still close. Just as a side issue, has anyone had problems with garlic lately? I don't  grow my own and the last batch I bought looked fantastic but was mouldy- unfortunately I couldn't find the receipt to get a refund but I thought it was disgusting! I hadn't even had it sitting around- I bought some to use  the same day and when I peeled the head open all of the cloves were mouldy. As I didn't have time to get back to the shops that particular week I think I accidentally shredded my receipt with some other stuff- I'm a compulsive shredder of personal information! ANNOYING- if I  find out that those garlic bulbs have been in storage for a long time and were then placed out for display and sale, I'm going to get stuck into the shop owners! What's even worse, they were from a green grocer not a supermarket! Who knows where they were from- probably my fault I didn't ask but I bet they came from overseas.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:57:40 am by Merlin »
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:34 am »
My local garlic,  very expensive is all sprouting ,so am going to plant it.   Have had mouldy stuff,  very annoying.

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:00 am »
Merlin, I have had similar trouble with onions lately :(

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2012, 08:07:17 am »
Mcmich and Amy, people look at the bag,  then look at me and smile.  Some people even say, 'love that bag'.  I wonder which bag they mean.? ;D ;D ;D ;D

mcmich

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2012, 08:08:45 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2012, 08:44:32 am »
LOL ;D ;D ;D

jakodai

« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37:57 am »
Well, I haven't started yet, but I'm kind of getting jealous reading through all of these posts! I had a thought the other day, my shopping is going to be pretty hard to stick to soon, because of all the 'healthy stuff' I'll need to buy. ;-)  But, I did my Costco shopping last night and spent a small fortune, but I got a lot of stuff, and the majority of it will last 4 - 6 months, like washing liquid and toilet paper. I also did a stocktake of my freezer and pantry so I can meal plan based on what I already have so I can reduce shopping there. I think I also have enough meat in my freezer to last a month! Because I work 3 days a week, we have a meal from the freezer on those nights, so I really only need to cook 4 meals a week. I think I should manage well.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »
jeninwa    l love that place kukulas and try to go there when l am in perth 
  thats a good price for garlic

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »
Yes the garlic was a great buy, not local, but will be ok for the garlic paste.

My total came to $106.39 pretty happy with that, considering $50.00 was for my bulk buying of dried fruit and nuts.

My menu for the week is:

Lamb shank in BBQ sauce and veg cooked in slow cooker.
Prawn stir fry
Mince dish (haven't decided what yet.)
Sticky pork and noodle salad (home made rice noodles) from  Tenina's Thai class.
Pumpkin soup
Chicken and corn soup.

Tonight was seafood pizza and salad.
Seafood marinara was reduce buy 40% at the supermarket this afternoon $1.99 for 300g. Home made pizza bases.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

mcmich

« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:31 pm »
This week, I'll be eating out of the freezer and pantry.
Only should have to buy a few fresh veggies and fruit and some puff pastry.
Will have a good look through the freezer and pantry and then meal plan for the week this evening.