Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4502803 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #10110 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:36 am »
That's your place then Uni?  Looks like it's coming on, were you able to stay there this time?

no JD thats the shops

our place should be done in a few weeks
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:02 am »
Now this idea might set a few cats among the pigeons out there . . . and I daresay this isn't the right thread . . .!!  ;D ;D ;D

The other night I was a local permaculture meeting to listen to a very enthusiastic young couple (their full on passionate enthusiasm was wonderful but left me feeling a little exhausted - but then I'm guessing they had to be at least half my age . . . :-)) ;D)  .  They've managed to transform their suburban block into a veritable food forest.  They say they're managing to eat directly from what they're producing - fruit, vegetables, eggs, . .  and soon some trout!! with only a very occasional trip to the supermarket or other stores for essential household items.

They have also embarked on a 12 month challenge of not buying anything extra - they will try fix, make,  borrow or barter but not buy. . . .This challenge also extends to buying gifts - gifts will come from something they can produce themselves . . or maybe an "experience" - a course, etc.

- Maddy!! don't worry if you're suddenly feeling faint at the thought!! - we have the paramedics on stand by . . .!!!!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:26:58 am by goldfish »

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:19 pm »
Holy moly GF, that will be an interesting and incredible year for that couple.... but imagine if they pull it off... WOW!!! :D How inspiring :)

I've recently registered on eBay... need I say more lol :P

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:20 pm »
wow, if they pull it off, great. :D

so many buy stuff they don't really need, or can afford. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:35 am »
GF I would love to do that. My dream life would be that of Hugh Fernley Whittingstall on River Cottage.

mcmich

« Reply #10115 on: October 03, 2013, 07:15:26 am »
Now this idea might set a few cats among the pigeons out there . . . and I daresay this isn't the right thread . . .!!  ;D ;D ;D

The other night I was a local permaculture meeting to listen to a very enthusiastic young couple (their full on passionate enthusiasm was wonderful but left me feeling a little exhausted - but then I'm guessing they had to be at least half my age . . . :-)) ;D)  .  They've managed to transform their suburban block into a veritable food forest.  They say they're managing to eat directly from what they're producing - fruit, vegetables, eggs, . .  and soon some trout!! with only a very occasional trip to the supermarket or other stores for essential household items.

They have also embarked on a 12 month challenge of not buying anything extra - they will try fix, make,  borrow or barter but not buy. . . .This challenge also extends to buying gifts - gifts will come from something they can produce themselves . . or maybe an "experience" - a course, etc.

- Maddy!! don't worry if you're suddenly feeling faint at the thought!! - we have the paramedics on stand by . . .!!!!! ;D ;D

I reckon that is absolutely brilliant - I follow a few blogs such as "Buy Nothing New For a Year" - can't get DH on board, although am seriously considering doing it myself - it may rub off on DH. I would have to buy consumables as we don't have a garden that would sustain us and there's no way I'm doing pre loved underwear.  :)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: October 03, 2013, 07:25:39 am »
LOL mcmich  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
wow, if they pull it off, great. :D

so many buy stuff they don't really need, or can afford. :)

How many cars are you up to obbie? ROFLMAO!

Good luck to this young couple. It will consume their every waking moment I am sure. For me I have worked hard all my life and can now happily enjoy the fruits of my labour without the guilt trip. I can now downsize as I like and share what I have accumulated having enjoyed  my stuff.

Like you mcmich, there is no point in disposing of stuff for the sake  of it. Some things you really want to keep even if you do not use them often such as those entertaining  things.

I try very hard to dispose of one for one purchase and often two for one.  I have recently acquired three lovely tea glasses and am deciding which 3 or 6 cups or mugs I will give away. Maybe I could barter them for  some new wine glasses or at least a bottle of bubbles.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #10118 on: October 03, 2013, 07:55:01 am »
I do the one in one out rule too Gert. You probably would be able to barter.

I recently put a melamine pantry cupboard on gumtree for free - the lovely gentleman that picked it up gave me a bottle of wine. I have put several things on gumtree for free and am just happy to have it out of my home - this is the first time someone has given me anything which was a lovely treat. The bottle of wine was a good drop too.  :D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: October 03, 2013, 08:07:39 am »
Just now cleaned out of the cupboard 10 cups and saucers. 4 mugs and 6 side plates!  In a box in the boot.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: October 03, 2013, 08:12:56 am »
We need to replace two toilet seats . What to you think mcmich. If I buy two new ones what can I get rid of?  I don't think even the Sallies want my old ones so they will become landfill. Have to find SOMETHING!

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #10121 on: October 03, 2013, 08:34:32 am »
Love it Gert - You're Gorgeous.  ;D

We may have to find peace with imferection and live with some land fill.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:49:12 am by mcmich »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
I could offer the used toilet seats for free on gumtree. Think I could get a bottle of wine for them? LOL!

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #10123 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:33 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:04 am »
Photo frames Gert of those you love!

You two are wonderful. I have heaps of stuff. I try to use it but so much of it I inherited from Mum. I want to use it and if it is broken too bad, otherwise DD will inherit 3 households of stuff. She is taking all 'good' stuff to her house when it is built.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/