Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 317816 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #720 on: November 02, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
Gert,
That starter looks amazing. Can't wait to see a picture of the finnished loaf.
My second loaf rose really well and I was about to cook it, but life got in the way and I had to take my son to kanga cricket. By the time I came back, the top had had deflated, and bits had dropped off the sides. I probably should have knocked it down and let it rise over night, but we don't have any other bread in the house, so I cooked it. I've just eaten the crust and it is delicious.  Can't wait to try my third loaf......
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 02, 2012, 08:31:04 pm »
I think I am finally getting it achookwoman. Sour dough especially needs patience. When my rye is ready I am going to take it slowly and make an awesome loaf.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 02, 2012, 09:10:45 pm »
Flour and water Judy, but I think a bit lie everyone in my house they are a bit slack when it comes to eating and may have very small appetites! We found our two dogs replicate the kids so maybe my new pets are the same. I'll keep giving them small amounts everyday and see how they go. We are heading for warmer weather so that might help them along.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 03, 2012, 05:42:19 am »
Cant wait gert!!  Im sure you will rock it!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 03, 2012, 06:31:59 am »
So you are using bakers flour and either boiled cooled water or filtered water Wonder?  What quantities of each?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:48 am »
I have been very unsuccessful with my starter in the past so yesterday I took a big step...bit cheeky, really! I went to a bread shop and asked them whether they would give me some of their starter culture. They gave me about half a kilo, I just wanted a tiny bit. I put all but a small amount in the fridge last night. the small bit I fed with equal amounts of warm filtered water and plain flour initially and as it got nice and bubbly and had risen after a few hours on the bench, this morning I fed it again, just the same but this time I used  bread flour. In another 6hrs or so it started bubbling and was risen again, so I decided to use some of it to bake a fruit and seed bread- which I had never done with sourdough.  I now have two gorgeous looking cobbs baking in the oven, laden with organic raisins, dried apricots, pepitas, linseeds and sunflower seeds. I cannot believe my good fortune, looks like they are going to work out perfectly. Soooo excited!  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 03, 2012, 07:00:15 am »
How lucky were you Csoki, I couldn't even get a bit of fresh yeast from any of the bakeries I visited let alone asking for some sour dough starter  :o 

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 03, 2012, 07:20:30 am »
They were not exactly gracious about it and I don't think I would go back and ask again LOL but they did give it to me and I am making the most of it. Are you in Victoria Judy? Would be happy to share if I could get some to you. I have plenty of lovely active sourdough. I just hope I can keep them fed correctly and happy! My bread is cooked, I will post a pic soon.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:41 am »
No, I'm in SA Csoki and I do have some sourdough starter from the famous Chookie on the forum.  Thanks for your offer though.

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 03, 2012, 07:29:29 am »
Glad to hear you have some starter Judy! Sorry if I am sounding like a smarta**e, just excited. I had NEVER made anything with sourdough before  :-[

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:29 am »
Here it is, still too hot to cut but can't wait:

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 03, 2012, 08:29:23 am »
Breadmaking of any description is exciting Csoki, we all still get excited each time we make bread. 

Your cobs look amazing, have you cut into one yet?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #732 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:13 am »
Csoli,  these look terrific.  It doesn't much matter where/how you get your first bit of starter,  just keep it going.  It is good to share,  like you have offered some to Judy. Judy,  as mentioned has 'babies" all around Adelaide.  Cookie has 'babies" all around Perth.  I have 'babies' all around Australia, and even one in England.!!!!     Did you do 1 or 2 rises ?  Did you cover the cobs for the first bit of baking.?  You are allowed to get very excited as it is really such good fun.  At the moment i am experimenting with putting SD into a cold oven ,  to see if i can get a bit of extra oven bounce.  Keep up the good work and spread the SD word.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 03, 2012, 09:27:26 am »
Csorki, you have done well the cobs look fantastic, I bought some SD starter with me in the van and made lovely rolls the other day but I did cheat and add a little teaspoon of yeast as I wanted to show off to my friends.   It worked they were really impressed. 

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:08 am »
Csoki, those loaves look great.  Well done!

Unfortunately I had to throw out my starter before it really even got started.  When I was feeding it, I gave the mixture a stir and a section of the glass jar broke (cheap Kmart jar).  Although it was a pretty clean break, I couldn't risk have any stray bits of glass in the mixture so tossed the lot.  Haven't got around to finding another jar yet to start my next lot.