Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 316588 times)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #645 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:19 am »
Thanks for all your helpful tips on converting recipes, I am sure I have seen a thread somewhere just dedicated to that topic rather than here where I started this question.  I am determined to have a go!

Looking forward to a sourdough weekend!!! 

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:38 am »
I want to try this now too.  :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #647 on: October 31, 2012, 04:30:53 am »
Thanks again Judy.  have spent all morning on 2 new recipes and therefore not on computer. 
There is little chance that your memory will go AWL.  far too active for that.
Obbie,  do you want me to post some Dehydrated starter.?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 31, 2012, 05:00:10 am »
Thanks again Judy.  have spent all morning on 2 new recipes and therefore not on computer. 
There is little chance that your memory will go AWL.  far too active for that.
Obbie,  do you want me to post some Dehydrated starter.?

No chookie. Obbie can start her own in her back porch at work. She can also pick up some of mine if needs be.  Obbie likes a challenge.

I bought my organic  rye today. Tomorrow I make rye flour and then I am gunna capture the feral yeasties . Just you wait. I can do it! Obbie can too can't ya Obbie!

Also tomorrow I am making a loaf or something using my newly awakened white flour  starter with some rye flour I already had. It is all about the challenge!

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:08 am »
Sorry I have another question - would a rye starter make a sourdough more nutritious than a white starter???

I am loving my white starter and have been getting some really good results. Thanks ACW for encouraging me to be persistant. I have really enjoyed this thread and seeing everyone giving the sourdough a go. To those having trouble still keep going - it took me quite a while before it all came together! You will never look back once you have your first successful sourdough - you will feel so proud of yourself- I did :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #650 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:22 am »
Gert,  how right you are about the challenge.  SD is the ultimate challenge,  and look how many on the Forum have had success.   Some awesome cooks here.

Shazzy,  I know SD is better for you than yeast bread as it is more easily digested.   I know little about Rye breads except when I use it in bread I get a very fine crumb.  I like rye and caraway seed bread,  but this has only about 1/3 rye.  DD is making %100 rye ,  but it doesn't behave the same as the white.  I think it has less gluten and therefore rises very slowly.
Gert is going to experiment with Rye,  and we will all watch with interest. 
Shazzy,  have a go,  it isn't expensive and is good fun.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 31, 2012, 05:53:33 am »
Rye has a lower gluten content than wheat overall. It has higher levels of glaiden and lower levels of glutenin than wheat. This is why it has a lower gluten content. It also has higher levels of water soluble fibre than wheat.

So far I have only manages a 50% rye with 50% whole wheat flour bread.  I am aiming for a 100% rye but I am not happy with the results I have gotten so far to advance any further. I don't seem to get as much rise using a rye starter and rye flours.

Rye breads do tend to be denser or heavier than white or whole meal wheat breads.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 31, 2012, 05:57:38 am »
Gert,  how right you are about the challenge.  SD is the ultimate challenge,  and look how many on the Forum have had success.   Some awesome cooks here.

Shazzy,  I know SD is better for you than yeast bread as it is more easily digested.   I know little about Rye breads except when I use it in bread I get a very fine crumb.  I like rye and caraway seed bread,  but this has only about 1/3 rye.  DD is making %100 rye ,  but it doesn't behave the same as the white.  I think it has less gluten and therefore rises very slowly.
Gert is going to experiment with Rye,  and we will all watch with interest.  
Shazzy,  have a go,]

Yup too true Chookie.  I don't even eat much bread so it is all about the challenge. I bought a small amount of rye as it was $12 a kilo but plenty to,play with.  I would love to be be able  to make a pumpernickel loaf of bread I remember from NY.  I love caraway and linseed too so I am gunna  give  it a go . I will take pics as I go if you are interested.

I am thinking to make a really dark loaf I would need to add some molasses or something. I know bugger all about bread making and I so wish I could to go chookies classes but I .also like to,wing it just to,see if common sense  prevails.

The pesky iPad loves commas.

I am going to have to,shut this house up tight as the flies are driving me NUTS. If the dogs pee on the tiles I don't care. I am not opening the doors tomorrow. I hate flies more than cockroaches.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 31, 2012, 07:47:24 am »
Thanks everyone. I actually have a rye starter here that I got from one of Yokes classes.  The first loaf that I did using your recipe Chookie was with the rye starter and it rose much better and tasted better than the ones I had been making previously. The white starter though gives a much better looking loaf and my DS10 will actually eat it :) I have just given my rye starter another feed and stir after neglecting for a while so will use that when I make my next loaf and see how it compares. Im loving all the experimenting and new recipes that are coming from sourdough.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:18 am »
Gert I have a bread book at home that has a pumpernickel recipe in it. From memory I think it has either instant coffee or cocoa in it to help darken the bread. Molasses might be in it too. I will check when I get home.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:43 am »
Just checked Yokes book and her pumpernickle recipe has expresso coffee, dark molassas, prunes and cocoa powder

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:50 am »
Gert I have a bread book at home that has a pumpernickel recipe in it. From memory I think it has either instant coffee or cocoa in it to help darken the bread. Molasses might be in it too. I will check when I get home.

Thanks Den I really should buy the book my DDIL  recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Jewish-Baker-Authentic-Breads/dp/089594605X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1TS21MLKHCS2G&coliid=I1K2DN21LQOX1K

I really do not eat enough bread to justify buying it but she swears by it. Now she is living in India I reckon she could sell heR bread  it to all the Hare Krishna Yanks visiting.

Gert

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:15 am »
That book looks great Gert.

My book is a bread machine book. The recipe for pumpernickel uses strong coffee unsweetened coco and molasses.

I will try and convert and post the recipe soon.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:20 pm »
Ok Den if it works give me the heads up.

I am not so keen on  yokes methods or recipes at all and the thought of   prunes into a pumpernickel loaf is ludicrous. Oy vey!

Coffee yes . Molasses  yes. Cocoa  not so much.

Anyway I will be getting stuck into bread making in the morning. 

Gert

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »
My book has three different pumpernickel recipes and they all use unsweetened cocoa.  I had a look on the internet and most of those recipes seem to use it as well. I will try and make a loaf this weekend and see how it comes out.