Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 318570 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2012, 10:41:29 am »
That's just great AB. Saw your post and am now hungry. Any leftovers you could postpak my way???
CP, I have used some Sid and he is currently proving in TM bowl. Will do next step in the morning, fingers crossed will have some nice sour dough bread by tomorrow night.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #631 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:26 am »
Sooo want to try my hand at sour dough again after my first unsuccessful attempt. Problem is there is just no time only weekends. I got my starter out of the fridge this morning but it is quite dormant so I have fed and will wait for some bubbles.  I have a flex day Friday and I plan to do some baking. I also feel a bit like an imposter as I have been on he forum fro three months now and I have yet to convert a recipe! Believe me I am trying I have got out all my fav recipes and made notes, then get stuck at one part of the method that I cannot see how it would work it TMX.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 30, 2012, 11:36:58 am »
The first one is the hardest GHM.  Have a look at methods for something similar in either the books or on the forum and it might all fall into place.  Write it out as you think you would do it then adjust times, speeds etc as you are making the meal remembering to make any changes on your rough copy.  It is so easy to forget what you did afterwards.  You are not an imposter but I understand your need to convert a recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 30, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »
Ghm quirky jo has conversion tips on her blog.. Check it out unles someone else posts the link.

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/converting-recipes-for-thermomix.html

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:27:45 pm by judydawn »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #634 on: October 30, 2012, 08:06:12 pm »
Sooo want to try my hand at sour dough again after my first unsuccessful attempt. Problem is there is just no time only weekends. I got my starter out of the fridge this morning but it is quite dormant so I have fed and will wait for some bubbles.  I have a flex day Friday and I plan to do some baking. I also feel a bit like an imposter as I have been on he forum fro three months now and I have yet to convert a recipe! Believe me I am trying I have got out all my fav recipes and made notes, then get stuck at one part of the method that I cannot see how it would work it TMX.

Converting is not so easy GHM. Whenimsmtarted I was opeleas but after a while you can figure it out. Remembering what you did to make it work is even harder and then to write  it for others is impossible for me. Judy is great at writing it down and so are some others but when you just wing it  not so easy!

Hope you starter wakes up and plays nicely. I took mine out of the fridge last night now I have my Thermothingy back from repair. 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »
GHM,

As Gert says converting is not so easy. I think it took me about 6 months. Do not worry, one day it will just click :) I think one of my first was vietnamese rolls.

My starter is in the fridge, leaving it there until I am ready to pay.

H :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:34:10 pm by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #636 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »
Agree,  not easy to start with,  but becomes a challenge that I really enjoy,  after a while.  In fact,  it becomes automatic.  Secret is to keep pencil and paper on kitchen bench and write down process.  For us list writer this is easy.  GHM,  we could walk you through a recipe to convert.  We would need the original recipe.  Warning,  not all recipes are convertible to produce the same result,  as the non TMX  recipe .

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
I think Sid is a dud! Followed chookies sour dough steps and process, made two loaves and left for 6 1/2hours to prove in tins. Nothing so cooked it and yeah I made bricks! ??? Think I have slow and lazy wild yeast down this way.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »
It. Looks good Kimmyh. How does it taste?  If no good there is always bread crumbs I guess. Try toasting it.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #639 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »
I think Sid is a dud! Followed chookies sour dough steps and process, made two loaves and left for 6 1/2hours to prove in tins. Nothing so cooked it and yeah I made bricks! ??? Think I have slow and lazy wild yeast down this way.
K,   Do you still have Sid ?   Don't throw him out.  Feed him up again,  leave on Kitchen bench.  If he is slow to rise and sticky he needs more time.  If after 8 hours he is still not doubled,  and flat on top, but you can see bubbles trying to push through,  put him into a cold oven to bake.   You will need a thermometer to test when done.  
See that big hole at the top of your loaf ?  This suggests that Sid is working and still needs more time.
The real bonus is that Sid will develop a terrific Flavour.
Don't give up on Sid.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »
While you are here chookie, what was that dish you made with crab sticks? I bought some the other day and now cannot remember what it was I wanted to make.

Gert

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:45 pm »
Thanks ACW I won't give up on him. Will try again and give him more time.
Gert it smells great and had a mild mild taste but if u toast it I will break the braces on my teeth as Sid is more like biscotti than bread!! Will do breadcrumbs instead thanks for help :)
Sid's Mummy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »
While you are here chookie, what was that dish you made with crab sticks? I bought some the other day and now cannot remember what it was I wanted to make.

Gert

Curried Crab Gert, it's here in the SOS thread.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:36 pm »
You are quick JUDY . I hope you never get memory loss!

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2012, 11:29:22 pm »
Oh, I will Gretchen - I am surrounded by people with it so it has to be contagious  ;D