Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 318203 times)

Offline rostess

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #570 on: October 19, 2012, 01:43:58 am »
Thanks Aussie Brenda. Feeding time has begun!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 19, 2012, 02:01:26 am »
I started my starter yesterday. There are a few warm days in Melbourne so hoping it gets enough warmth to get established. I've started if off in a big jar this time so there will be no need to move it around once established.

Rostess, I'll be very interested to see how you go given you are a few days ahead of me, last time I kept forgetting to feed mine correctly and it didn't work so I'm going to try and be more disiplined this time around. Where abouts are you located?

Offline rostess

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 19, 2012, 02:29:07 am »
I'm in Perth, so warm weather is a bit more reliable than in Melbourne lol

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 19, 2012, 04:41:22 am »
After reading through this thread I decided to try my hand at a sour dough loaf and have my very first starter on the go.  I'm on Day 3 and things are looking pretty good so far with some activity (small bubbles) visible.  I used wholegrain rye flour and water for my starter.  Fingers crossed I don't kill it!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #574 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:24 am »
After reading through this thread I decided to try my hand at a sour dough loaf and have my very first starter on the go.  I'm on Day 3 and things are looking pretty good so far with some activity (small bubbles) visible.  I used wholegrain rye flour and water for my starter.  Fingers crossed I don't kill it!
Sounds good,  it is difficult to kill once you get it going. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:51 am »
Sounds like there are a few of use starting out again. It will be good to hear how everyone else's starters are going now that a few months have past since the last group got them up and going.   

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 19, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
When I thought my rye starter had died I started a white one following chookies steps. Well all I can say so far a white starter is much easier than a rye one. I was on my 3rd day feeding today of the 1tbspn and within a couple of hours it had nearly grown out of my jar (and it was a big jar!) I have now transferred it into a bigger container and will put it in the fridge as I dont need to make a loaf now til early next week. Will be really interested to see the difference in a loaf made with a rye starter compared with a white starter. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #577 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:09 pm »
When I thought my rye starter had died I started a white one following chookies steps. Well all I can say so far a white starter is much easier than a rye one. I was on my 3rd day feeding today of the 1tbspn and within a couple of hours it had nearly grown out of my jar (and it was a big jar!) I have now transferred it into a bigger container and will put it in the fridge as I dont need to make a loaf now til early next week. Will be really interested to see the difference in a loaf made with a rye starter compared with a white starter. 

. Let us know, Shazzy

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:32 pm »
Sid is ready! Have feed him on bench for 4 days and he is bubbly and smells like beer (hang on is that Sid or DH). Need to move him to a bigger container but how big should it be? Will a large coffee jar do?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #579 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »
Sid is ready! Have feed him on bench for 4 days and he is bubbly and smells like beer (hang on is that Sid or DH). Need to move him to a bigger container but how big should it be? Will a large coffee jar do?

Size of jar depends on how much/ often you are going to make bread,  also how much space in fridge.  Send Sid my best wishes. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:28 pm »
My starter is looking good after two days outside. I think I will wait one more day then bring it inside and start feeding.

Offline rostess

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:24 am »
My starter hasn't done much since I brought it inside and started feeding it. It's lost all it's bubbles too :-(

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2012, 04:04:40 am »
My starter hasn't done much since I brought it inside and started feeding it. It's lost all it's bubbles too :-(

That OK.  Keep feeding it and give it a good stir.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 20, 2012, 05:03:04 am »
Starter is looking great today, stil outside with lots of bubbles. I'll bring it inside in the morning and start feeding - I've got a good feeling about this one.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #584 on: October 20, 2012, 06:01:15 am »
I am also hoping that starter version 2 will be good to go for a loaf tomorrow.  Do I feed it one more time in the morning before I use it?  Should it be thicker than pancake batter?