Author Topic: Adelaide Cooking Class with Cyndi O'Meara  (Read 10845 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Adelaide Cooking Class with Cyndi O'Meara
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:32:04 pm »
They have just announced the above class at Regency Park 15th September 6.30 - 8.30 $20 with Cyndi O'Meara as special guest.  I know she has appeared in other states at your cooking classes - how did you all enjoy it and is it worth going to? Be interested to read your comments.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Adelaide Cooking Class with Cyndi O'Meara
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »
i find her very interesting, but i guess it depends on what sort of thing you want to hear about. she mainly talks about eating "real" foods ie: butter rather than margarine and trying to eat healthily by avoiding too much wheat etc etc
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
I have got to this age by eating relatively healthy (by my standards anyway) and you know where her cookbook ended up Karen  :-)) :-)).  I don't mind listening to a little bit of this sort of stuff but I am pretty set in my ways - I guess as long as we get some samples to try I will be happy.  Are these shows all about Cyndi and her choice of foods/recipes or is it a bit of her and some of the ordinary type cooking class as well.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »
I went to one the other night. It started with an intro to the TM, then Cyndi talked (by the end of the night I felt almost too scared to eat anything ever again) and while she was talking, some foods were prepared. We got to taste everything - sorbet, pumpkin soup, pink hommus, brown rice salad and a couple of other things.

She talked about margarine and "flavours" and the food industry and her books. :)
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:34 pm »
Thanks Rowyfo - sounds scary! I don't want to be put off my food but I understand where you are coming from.  Everyday you read or hear about what this food or that food does to you and one minute it is good for you, the next minute is isn't - if you listened to everything anyone has to say on this matter there would be very little choice left.  Even if we try and eat natural foods and bring our children up without additives, they still have to go out into this big world of ours where they are faced with all these things anyway. Places like children's birthday parties, friends houses etc.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:11:23 am »
Judy, I went to her last class here in Adelaide.  I agree with all of the above but don't think I would bother going again.  I just wish that they would bring here somemore classes like the one they held with Nico.  I just don't want to keep going to classes that have the same old theme ie  dip, sorbet, salad, bread & custard.  It's wonderful what RivMum is doing for all her clients but it's just too far for me to travel to attend a class!!!!

Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:20:08 am »
OK then that's made up my mind for me Trudy - thanks for that and thanks for the opinions of Brazen & Rowyfo too. I like this option of getting others to make up your mind for you  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Now my next problem is ........... :P :P

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 05:42:43 am »
Judy, I went to her last class here in Adelaide.  I agree with all of the above but don't think I would bother going again.  I just wish that they would bring here somemore classes like the one they held with Nico.  I just don't want to keep going to classes that have the same old theme ie  dip, sorbet, salad, bread & custard.  It's wonderful what RivMum is doing for all her clients but it's just too far for me to travel to attend a class!!!!

Trudy

I went to one of hers here in Adelaide, too, Trudy.  It was oversold, so there were people sitting in the aisles, ran very late (we left before it finished and still got out 3/4 hour later than the stated time), and towards the end of the evening, but before the finish, they stopped so that Cyndi could sell her books.  I won't be going again and, like you Judy, i just wish that they would put on some classes with new, interesting recipes, not the same old basic stuff!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:11:34 am »
Amanda , I'm glad you also have the same thoughts.  I spoke to a consultant last week and she said that the recipes are new at these classes - yes she may be right but it's still the same old theme and I know that the TM can do so much more than "the same old theme".   I think it's such a shame when other states and overseas seem to be offered so much more!!!  Sorry about the winge!!!!

Trudy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:41 am »
Trudy, I don't think it's a whinge really.  So many people are purchasing a TMX and after we have used them for several months I think some people will just leave them if we don't get the opportunity to see what else it can do. Those of us on the forum keep learning lots of new things (thanks to all those kind people).
I have a friend who has one and she is becoming a little disallusioned as she really doesn't have the time to experiment and isn't computer literate. She's made things from the books etc and like many of us would like the odd demo with some new exciting ideas. We actually have phone chats much like "what did you cook today?"

It's lots of the little tricks that perhaps our demonstrator didn't show us. eg I wasn't told about turning the lid upside down to stop drips when you took it off the machine- this friend mentioned it. I'd had drips every where.
I accept it would be hard for demonstrators but I'm sure it would be wondereful for the rest of us.

Now I've had my whinge!!!!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:22:16 am »
Thanks Cookie 1,  I was beginning to think it's just me.  I think even if your dealer took the time to contact you once in awhile to see how you were going with it would be a plus.  The only way I have found out about anythink new was through this forum.  I just feel that the potential to expand here in SA is being hampered by the lack of customer service.  Riv Mum seems to be on the ball - shame she so far away. 

Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:15 am »
Cookie1, could you print out some recipes you think would suit your friend.  I often take some down to DD (not that she is computer illiterate, just doesn't have the time to browse the forum site) and I have also taken down some frozen cookie mixture and a frozen roll of Thermomixers chicken croquettes - that's one way of getting her to try a recipe.  I do a batch of veg stock and take half down to her too.  I realise we can't feed everyone we know but printing out recipes would be easy enough to do. The forum is just one big recipe book with a few laughs thrown in for good measure and it's a pity not everyone has access to it.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:19:07 am »
Judy, Great minds think alike.  I also print of recipes that I think my daughters might be interested in.  I also have a friend who doesn't like going onto the computer so keep her supplied as well!!!!

Trudy

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:21:47 pm »
Yes, I also do the same for some of my family (when I remember  ???) Mum doesn't have the time or inclination to get onto here and my grandmother doesn't have internet.

re Cyndi - I first heard her talk in May in Bendigo. I thought she was very interesting and informative.  Yes - the demo followed the B2B format. I agree with everyone else about the format. I guess from TMX's view they have a lot of new first timers coming along (generally and especially to a Cyndi talk) and the basic formula of the range of functions still needs to be shown for their sake. As for Cyndi it was very informative, yes scary, but I think we do need to know what we're eating in processed foods and make an informed choice for ourselves. The food industry cover up the truth even more so IMHO.  Personally I found it worthwhile to make the 7 hr round trip.

Regarding tips and hints our G/L and consultants under her have been working on an hints & tips start up list for new owners.  I'll go through it tomorrow and add things like the lids etc to it and email and post it so everyone can access it.  Please feel free to print it or email the list to others. 

In defence of consultants (not excusing us tough) usually at the briefing to a new customer we're focused on all the 'bigger items' of using the tmx rather than the handy hints - so this list will certainly help!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 02:31:52 pm »
The hints and tips list sounds great ILB and will be appreciated by us all.  Didn't realise your grandmother had a TMX too ??? ??? Do you all do the same things in your machines or do they go off and try different recipes and then tell YOU about it?