Author Topic: Does anyone have an iPad?  (Read 15140 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone have an iPad?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »
What is this "shopping" thing of which you all speak?  ;)

I'm afraid I do almost all of my grocery shopping online.  I've got it off to a fine art now and rarely forget anything.  I swear it works out cheaper too as I don't get caught out with impulse buys.  I use Ocado (I'm UK based) which ONLY sell online from warehouses so their stock control is brilliant, everything's always in good condition and has a long date on it.  They're not a "cheap" supermarket but its all good quality.  I also menu plan so that I can shop effectively ....

I may sound super organised but food is the only place that I am organised  :D

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 06:08:52 pm »
I would love an iPad! I have a MacBook which is kept in my kitchen. I'm just frustrated that I can't get it to work wirelessly with my printer, even though the printer has wireless capability.

The way the wireless (Bluetooth) system is set up, only graphics will print - photos, etc.  My printer is the same way and I get around it by taking a partial screenshot (Command shift 4) selecting the area I want to copy and hitting return. 
I then print the screen shot. 

As long as you have paired the wireless device with the MacBook, it should work just fine.
I don't know why they don't fix it so it will print documents but that is the way it has been since these wireless devices were introduced.
I had a problem with the first Bluetooth accessory I got for the printer (it didn't come with one) but I returned it and got one that worked the first time and it works with the portable printer I take with me when I travel.

The printer I use for regular printing is an "all in one" Epson scanner, printer, copier (NO FAX because I won't have one in the house). 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:23:06 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline artsyshell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 06:23:19 pm »
I love my ipad! I use it in the kitchen lots, and have a ton of recipe apps on it. Can't wait for the thermomix app. That would be great!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:44 pm »
I have a MacBook and still use it.  It is a case of how you organize to use both machines.  I still print off lots of lovely recipes from my MacBook,  as I can't print from the iPad.   I also can't transfer photos to iPad so need MacBook.  Also there is no photo for Skype on iPad,  so still need MacBook for this.  There are several stands available, the man at the airport had one that was also a cover.  He was English, so may have bought the cover there. 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 09:25:29 am »
I was wanting an iPad and have to justify it by being able to use it for work. What I really need is that 'smallness' and the appleair also looks like it might suit my needs. Want to be able to travel with it and use in the kitchen (mostly). Think the new iPad is coming out in  January and is going to have a camera and USB port thingy. I am really in the dark when it comes to computers and all that jargon they use, so I really don't know what would suit me best  ???
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:47 am »
Thank you for the tips. It is amazing what you can use the iPad for.  I have downloaded the ever note app and another friend suggested to download chefs journal. So I am on a huge learning curve. Thought I would be able to use my USB port and all would be simple! Big mistake :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 10:12:13 am »
CP, wait if you can because the next model will have more goodies.  fab for travel,  mine fits In my hand bag.I gave been told that you can recharge it on some planes on long flights.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:46 am »
Thank you for the tips. It is amazing what you can use the iPad for.  I have downloaded the ever note app and another friend suggested to download chefs journal. So I am on a huge learning curve. Thought I would be able to use my USB port and all would be simple! Big mistake :)

Kezza if you set up ever note on your  pc you can cut and paste on the computer then sync it and the recipes should show up on ever note on your iPad if that makes sense ???
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Flipper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 11:37:02 am »
achookwoman, we have a leather case for our ipad which is also a stand.  We purchased ikt at the mac shop.  :)

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 05:20:57 am »
Meagan, thank you.  I am now able to cut and paste into ever note and have some recipes saved.  Now all I need is time off work to continue to play and cut and paste!

stacelee

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 08:15:56 pm »
Check out the paprika app for the iPad. It is a recipe program which can cut and paste from most well known recipe websites.  It can get the recipes from here but sometimes needs a little tweaking.  It even has built in menu planning now.

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 01:04:08 am »
I use the drop box app for my ipad. Basically it puts a desktop icon onto your computer where you just drop the files into the folder that you want to access from your ipad. You may have to download the equivalent word app, not sure what its called, but allows you to open microsoft word docs on your ipad. The excel equivalent is called numbers.

I find this is the best system, as you can also access pdf files through the drop box. So if you see something you like on taste, you can print a pdf, and save it onto your computer, then put a copy of it in the drop box.

each time you plug your ipad into your computer, it will sync the drop box.

Good luck.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:15 am »
Interesting  :) I think I looked at those aps but we were on holidays at the time and once home got busy and forgot about them lol. I will look into them thanks
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:21 am »
I have a MacBook Pro and use MacGourmet daily for recipes and meal planning.  The meal planning feature allows you to send your plan to iCal where you can share it with anyone else on the network (my DH for example).  You can copy and paste recipes from anywhere and paste it into MacGourmet and with just a little tweaking they end up looking great.  There is a "chef view" which makes the recipe full screen and highlights the ingredient or step you're up to.  It also has an iPhone and iPad app and you synchronise between the MacBook and the iPhone which initially I found annoying, but now I realise it's the better way to do things.  I don't want to be typing or copying and pasting too much on an iPad/iPhone, much faster on a 'proper' keyboard.  I would only be using the iPad to view the recipe while I was making it anyway (which is pretty much what it's designed to do).

Oh, and it has a shopping list feature so that the ingredients from the recipes you've put into the meal planner get put into a shopping list (from which I just delete all the stuff I already have on hand).

When we move into our new house we will be getting an iPad (don't have one yet, just an iPhone) and it will be mounted in the kitchen on a flexible arm.  This way it can be kept at hand but up off the bench and out of the way of splatters (you should see my macbook...eeeek  :o )  I can't wait for that.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
I use the app ever note which is free and just cut and paste my recipes into it. I have it on my lap top, iPhone and iPad so it syncs between all of them. Loving it  ;D and the iPad too ;)

meagan i downloaded this software on my pc, laptop and iphone after seeing this post and thankyou...i love it and its actually making it easier for me to be more organised and actually plan meals as its all there in one place..recipes, menu plans and shopping lists!..got to love ya thanks for the info  :)

ps do you have any trouble going over the download limit..ive been copying recipes i like into it as before i was printing them and its saying i have already passed the halfway of my limit and keeps insisiting i upgrade to premium but i dont like the idea of paying monthly for a software??? are you just on the free software or premium?
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/