Author Topic: vegetable stock  (Read 8409 times)

Offline maccallum

• View Profile
vegetable stock
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »
Am still very new to all this, but was impressed by the way the thermomix could make veg stock when it was demonstrated to me. Read comments about the saltiness of it and the reference for "rock" salt. Purpose of it in such quantities was to preserve it. In Canada, "rock" salt is not a common item. We have sea salt, quite concentrated, then we have the usual "table" salt and then we have (what I use the most) Kosher salt which is les salty, but very flavouful. I TRIED to make the stock- 2 times in fact as the first time i had the MC inserted. Second time without but still was never able to get it to evaporate. 1 hour later still mushy.
A few questions
Why didn't evaporate.? Maybe my Varona setting is not hot enough ( new machine, so could have a problem)

To make less salty and still last, maybe should substitute kosher salt, place 1 TB of stock in individual ice cube trays, add boiling water and blend. Then freeze, and once frozen keep in the freezer in ziplock bags like tomato paste?

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: vegetable stock
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:40:25 pm »
Welcome maccallum! Stock is suppose to be mushy and only takes 20 mins to cook. It keeps in the fridge just about forever but I reckon even if you put less salt in you would use it all up before it went off. It can be used in just about every main meal. I think there are a few on here that do freeze into stock cubes but it would have to have hardly any salt for it to freeze.  Keep tryin.  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »
Nay-nay's right maccallum - I freeze mine in ziplock bags and just spoon out what I need for a meal (1 tsp - 1 tblspn) - easier than using up ice-cube trays, takes up less room too.  It will never freeze with that amount of salt in it but that is not a problem when you can still just spoon out what you want from the freezer pack anyway.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:01:30 am »
I'm not sure but I'm wondering if there is a confusion between stock concentrate and stock?  The former is more of a paste and I was shown it at myy demo, the latter is a liquid? 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:08:30 am »
I think we are all talking about stock concentrate here Lellyj - we tend to just call it stock even though it is a paste that you can make into stock with the addition of water.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.