Author Topic: Ideas for Father's Day goodies?  (Read 5174 times)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Ideas for Father's Day goodies?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:13 am »
Hi all,
It's Father's day here in Victoria this Sunday - since my partner died when our kids were very young, we haven't celebrated father's day for about 5 years, but... I have been seeing a lovely man who the kids adore (I call him 'The Fella') so I was thinking of making him some goodies as a father's day present. The girls will be getting him something from the father's day stall at school (they are very excited about that), and we are taking him and his daughter out to lunch, but I thought it would be nice to make him something as well - I often send him home with a 'care package'!
He has a real sweet tooth, loves anything with chocolate in it! Any recipe suggestions? I was thinking rocky road, brownies, truffles, that sort of thing....
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Ideas for Father's Day goodies?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
That sounds fantastic deedub and it will be wonderful for your kids to be able to join in the fun of the fathers day stall, I  always feel for the kids at school who have lost parents as they all get a great buzz out of buying from the stall.

I'm not much of a sweet tooth but the chocolate fudgy wudgy cookies are an all time favourite in this house. I substitute the nuts and raisins for more chocolate.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:51:46 am »
You are lucky 'The Fella' is a sweet tooth deedub, it will make it so much easier for you.  Check out some of the recipes we have all used to put in our Christmas baskets from our special Christmas section, you are bound to get some ideas from there.

Nice to see you have moved on and have a man in your life.  Exciting too that the children are obviously accepting of him and are looking forward to joining in with the other kids and choosing a gift from the school Fathers Day stall.  Whatever you do on the day, I'm sure it is going to be a special day for all of you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:31:34 am »
Make him DD's version of Rara's cherry bites and Amy's fudge. They are both lovely but sweet. Perhaps something not so sweet like a cake kr biscuits.
I'm thrilled for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:33:13 am »
Johnros cookies n cream fudge.

Yum

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
How lovely deedub! :D

I second Cookie's suggestions of the cherry bites and my Fudgy Chocolate Brownies ;D ;D They would be real winners ;)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:39 am »
What about Johnros Cookies and Cream Fudge very addictive for a sweet tooth person ;) Lovely to hear that you have a new "fella" in your life deedub :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:16:08 am »
Thanks everyone, I've printed out some recipes, love all your suggestions so will be hard to choose!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:38 pm »
Deedub don't choose, make all three - the fudge, the cherry bites and the brownies.  Just give him a few slices of each and freeze the rest - they all freeze well and you can pull them out when people visit.

And I love homemade rocky road - I use macadamia nuts instead peanuts, cut up snakes instead of glacé cherries (or sometimes the mint leaf lollies for a mint rocky road).

It will be so much fun for your kids to do the fathers day thing with the fella!

mcmich

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:47:12 pm »
Deedub only just spotted this post. How lovely for you to have someone to share your life with again.
It's great too that the children got to join in the fun of the Fathers Day stall and celebrating again.

How did it all go and what did you end up cooking for the Fella?  :)