Author Topic: camembert en croute - For Food's Sake  (Read 6799 times)

Bonsai

camembert en croute - For Food's Sake
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:04:21 pm »
Made this as part of the Easter 'big feed'. I had a 250g wheel of brie which was truly ripe (Gretchen would be proud of me - use by date of Nov 2011) - wrapped in about 1 1/2 sheets of commercial puff pastry.

It baked beautifully but some of the cheese leaked out - I wonder if the ripeness of the cheese contributed to this?  Due to this the pastry wasn't really crisp but the house was filled with the wonderful smell of ripe hot cheese and a large amount got polished off by the visitors. Only GD13 wasn't keen (but the flavour was very ripe and 'adult'). The mushroom base added to the umami flavours - just yum.

I'd certainly give this another go - maybe with a less ripe cheese. DH suggested trying it with wedges of cheese but I think the intact rind holds it together more. I think this would be equally yummy with a blue cheese as well.

Not good for my hips or arteries though!

No photo as it was a dash to the table to join the crowd.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: camembert en croute - For Food's Sake
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »
That was one ripe cheese Bonsai LOL!
I'm looking forward to making this one.....but I really need one or few of my wine buddies here to eat it with me......otherwise I'm afraid I'd eat the whole wheel....and that's just not a good thing  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:07 pm »
Wow Bonsai, yes Gert would have been very proud ;D

I would love to make this, but the calories & the fat stops me.

I bet it was delish.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:19 pm »
Wow bonsai I am truly proud of you. I was waiting for someone to review this as I have a 200 gm cheese ripening as we speak. I bought it at 40% off with a use by date of April  4 . Figure I will be making this next month at the earliest.  All of Tenina's recipes are great and they work.

The only way to eat a cheese  like this is if it is really ripe and runny otherwise it has no flavour.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:14:00 am »
This was one of my favourite dishes at Tenina's cooking class - I doubt if I will ever need a 1 kg wheel of camembert here though so when I make one it will be with the little 125g piece. At least I could eat that on my own if DH doesn't want any  :-))  Had forgotten about this so thanks for reminding me Bonsai.  It would be a star at any gathering.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:15 am »
I've made this twice now and it is truly delicious. My first one leaked but I think I didn't take enough care sealing it. The second time I made sure it was well sealed and didn't leak. It it VERY bad for the hips and cholesterol but if shared with friends can't be toooo bad .....can it???
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:57:34 am »
no, its very good for bones, teeth, and wellbeing...is that the answer you wanted to hear  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:09:49 am »
no, its very good for bones, teeth, and wellbeing...is that the answer you wanted to hear  ;)

What she said….

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »
I'm happy with that  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.