Author Topic: Burnt Butter Biscuits  (Read 20083 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Burnt Butter Biscuits
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:32:19 am »
i love these biccies and must make it in the TM, as I used to do it on the stove but waiting around for the butter to turn brown was a pain in the neck. Going to try cooking butter for the 10mins on Varoma (one of the benefits of hanging back until someone else has trialed a recipe  ;))
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
it won't burn in the 10 mins CP63 but it will go a lovely golden brown colour and still works with these bickies  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 04:25:39 am »
I dug out my recipe from "Country Classics" which I have always doubled. I wonder if there is any difference in the browning of the butter depending on brands/quality?

This is the quantities used:

250g butter
250g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
310g SR Flour

Melted butter at Varoma, Speed 1, 29 minutes (just do not burn the butter). Followed em's method thereon, and placed a blanched almond in the centre. I made 40 decent size biscuits, and hopefully will work out how to download a photo onto this website soon so I can post a picture  :D

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:14 am »
i'm glad so many people like this recipe, its a favourite here!
i googled this recipe and found that some recipes called for burning the butter whilst others just simply said to get the butter a golden brown colour.  i'm not sure how much of a difference this makes, does anyone know?  we love them anyway  ;) !
Emma from Victoria

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:55 am »
I think that the nutty flavour of well browned butter is what is desirable - not the burnt taste of blackened buttermilk solids!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:25 am »
I used to make it the conventional way on the stove top, however after cooking for 10 mins on Varoma I just had to keep going until I was satisfied that the butter had changed colour. I doubled the recipe, so perhaps this has something to do with the longer time or maybe difference between butter quality (?), but I know it used to take forever on the stove too and thats why I always double the recipe to make it worthwhile. I just love these biscuits.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:09:16 am by CreamPuff63 »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 04:04:30 am »
I made these too from cp63 list, I was a bit concerned at first that the butter would burn an ruin the TM, all was fine. I made about 26, they were nice but not my fav, I Just love the shortbread in the EDC  book. I think these  would be absolutely delish with white chocolate drizzled over or a chocolate ganache

:)Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:28 am »
I think these  would be absolutely delish with white chocolate drizzled over or a chocolate ganache
What wouldn't be delish with white chocolate drizzled over or with a chocolate ganache. Yum.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
I know.... Think we care on the same page there... Yum mm
 :) :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline mrsmac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 05:35:02 am »
I love this recipe made them while the kids were asleep and would've got 34 if they didn't wake up at the end of me putting them on the trays, I did half and half with apricot jam and choc chips kids loved the uncooked mix, and already dd2 has given the thumbs up for the choc chip ones.