Author Topic: Burnt Butter Biscuits  (Read 20007 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
Burnt Butter Biscuits
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:01:53 am »
Burnt Butter Biscuits

I got this from Julie on the Today show the other week.  Its a really quick and easy biscuit recipe and you could add whatever you like to it, sultanas, choc chips, jam, etc.

Ingredients
125g butter
1/2 cup sugar - 110g
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup SR Flour or Plain Flour and 1 tsp baking powder - 220g

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Place butter into TM bowl and melt at varoma temp speed 1 for 20 mins, you want the butter to go a golden brown colour.  Let it cool for 5 or 10 mins.

Add sugar and egg, at this point I also used the butterfly to whisk up the egg.  Mix it for approx 5 sec at speed 4.  

Add the vanilla and flour and mix til combined and nice and shiny, about 5 sec.

Use about 1 tsp of mixture and roll little balls of dough and bake in oven til golden brown which took about 5-7 mins in my oven.

Very quick and easy and next time I make themIi will be using my home made apricot jam to make jam drops!

members' comments

JD - What a great little recipe this one is, thanks a lot em for posting it.  How many biscuits did you get?  Mine were obviously bigger than yours as I had to bake them 10 minutes then left them on the tray to cool and crisp up - it made 34 cookies.  I did a mixture of jam drops, then topped some with flaked almonds and then mixed some chocolate chips into the last of the mixture - 3 different cookies from 1 batch.  Looks like I've been to the Cookie Man shop.

em - JD I think I made about 30, they could have been smaller. mmm sounds good, I will try the jam drops next I think.

willmac -  they are soooooo good and half of them have already been eaten.

Amanda - they are lovely, but I had the devil of a time getting the butter to burn. I cooked it in the TM, eventually on Varoma temp, for 9 minutes, finally pouring the whole lot out into a saucepan and burning it on the stove before proceeding with the recipe.

faffa70 - they are a hit with the family - yay another one for the bikkie barrel and the recipe into the keeper file. I also had a hard time getting the butter to brown. I ended cooking it on varoma temp for 10 minutes. It wasn't burnt as such but was a nice golden brown by then. I can handle the 10 minutes when I don't have to stand there and stir it and watch it like a hawk - I can do a lot else in 10 minutes lol.

em - I ended up doing the same thing faffa the second time I made these and just got it nice and golden brown, I guess it's a little hard to burn things in the tmx!!

mrsmac - I love this recipe, made them while the kids were asleep and would've got 34 if they didn't wake up at the end of me putting them on the trays, I did half and half with apricot jam and choc chips kids loved the uncooked mix, and already dd2 has given the thumbs up for the choc chip ones.

CP - I dug out my recipe from "Country Classics" which I have always doubled. I wonder if there is any difference in the browning of the butter depending on brands/quality?

This is the quantities used:

250g butter
250g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
310g SR Flour

Melted butter at Varoma, Speed 1, 29 minutes (just do not burn the butter). Followed em's method thereon, and placed a blanched almond in the centre. I made 40 decent size biscuits.

I used to make it the conventional way on the stove top, however after cooking for 10 mins on Varoma I just had to keep going until I was satisfied that the butter had changed colour. I doubled the recipe, so perhaps this has something to do with the longer time or maybe difference between butter quality (?), but I know it used to take forever on the stove too and that's why I always double the recipe to make it worthwhile. I just love these biscuits.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:14:41 am by judydawn »
Emma from Victoria

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Burnt Butter Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16:24 am »
Thanks Em. I'm always looking for quick biscuits recipes for my boys to make. This one sounds very versatile. Well done ;D ;D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:59:12 am »
What a great little recipe this one is, thanks a lot em for posting it.  How many biscuits did you get?  Mine were obviously bigger than yours as I had to bake them 10 minutes then left them on the tray to cool and crisp up - it made 34 cookies.  I did a mixture of jam drops, then topped some with flaked almonds and then mixed some chocolate chips into the last of the mixture - 3 different cookies from 1 batch.  Looks like I've been to the Cookie Man shop  :D :D

For those of your who work in metric - sugar is 110g and flour is 220g
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:09:18 am »
Thanks em for publishing the conversion.  Love the flavour of burnt butter.

Thanks JD for the metrication.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:14:02 am »
Judydawn i think i made about 30, they could have been smaller. mmm sounds good, i will try the jam drops next i think.
no worries thermomixer, glad to contribute! 
Emma from Victoria

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:48 am »
A delicious, easy recipe. Thanks Em and Judy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:28 am »
Thanks so much for this, I just made these today and they are soooooo good and half of them have already been eaten.

Kay

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:53 am »
Burnt Butter biscuits are a very old fashioned type of biscuit.  My long-dead aunt used to make them and I just love them
Thanks for a recipe that I had completely forgotten about.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:28 am »
I just made these and they are lovely, but I had the devil of a time getting the butter to burn. ???
I cooked it in the TM, eventually on Varoma temp, for 9 minutes, finally pouring the whole lot out into a saucepan and burning it on the stove before proceeding with the recipe.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Made these yesterday and they are a hit with the family - yay another one for the bikkie barrel  ;D ;D and the recipe into the keeper file  ;) ;)

I also had a hard time getting the butter to brown. I ended cooking it on varoma temp for 10 minutes. It wasn't burnt as such but was a nice golden brown by then  :D I can handle the 10 minutes when I don't have to stand there and stir it and watch it like a hawk - I can do a lot else in 10 minutes lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »
i ended up doing the same thing faffa the second time i made these and just got it nice and golden brown, i guess its a little hard to burn things in the tmx!!
Emma from Victoria

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »
Em or JD, do you leave the butterfly in, after mixing in the egg, so adding the flour with the butterfly in place?
These sound very easy and interesting!
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:39 am »
No I took it out before adding the flour Bron - I read it as just using it to beat the egg.  Em could perhaps clarify this point for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:05 am »
I took it out too  ;D ;D - only because I didn't want to try and clean the dough off the butterfly - too lazy lol  :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 04:01:38 am »
i dont think it would matter to much, i left in , but not for any real reason! i just like using it to whip up the eggs really...
Emma from Victoria