Author Topic: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!  (Read 41138 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 04:27:52 am »
I was so intrigued with all these comments about Kindle that I went and looked at Amazon to check it all out. I found they have Kindle apps for computers, so downloaded an app and some free books to read on my computer!! Those thanks ladies, even though I don't have a kindle (perhaps soon) I can still read free books without adding to my bookcase!! DH will be pleased with that!!! LOL!!

Good one terstoo. Everyone should do it I say even if they read only  one book just t see what it is like. You can always uninstall it. I want to read John Howards new book Lazarur Rising. Went to  a book signing here in Cairns. $60 but only $19.24 on Kindle. I wanted to ask him to sing my Kindle. NOT!

Well I am a quick reader cookie 1 and if I start a book I must finish it even if it is crap. I agree with Eat Pray Love. Self indulgent shinola . I to love crime and thrillers. I may make an exception of not finishng Time Travelers Wife. As soon as it drys out I will have another go and that is it.

It's lovely to meet so many readers. Makes my heart go flip flop.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 01:26:48 pm »
I also love reading but Eat,Pray,Love was the first book in many years that I gave up on. I really enjoy who dunit's and sci fi but will read anything. (I also read the junk mail !!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:12:47 am by Very Happy Jan »
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:45 am »
VHJ you're not the only one who reads the junk mail- we fight over it here. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Eat, Pray, Love.

May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 12:57:24 am »
Looking at Kindle cookbooks and discovered  this. I thought it was in Spanish but it is in English. Only $2.99 for a Thermomix cookbook.   http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-cooking-recipes-Thermomix-ebook/dp/B004CLYIKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1291337614&sr=1-1

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 01:33:07 am »
have you bought it - what are the recipes like? any good ones?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:29 am »
Gosh Gretchen, that would almost be enough incentive to buy a Kindle for most of us  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 02:00:28 am »
Yes I did buy it. Sucker for a bargain. Have only "thumbed" through  it at the moment but some tasty recipes. Lots of seafood.

The translation leaves a bit to be desired but for the price  you just gotta have it. If you don't have a hand held  Kindle download Kindle  PC anyway. Nice pics as well.

Gretch

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:47 am »
I was just trying to catch up on some of what I miss by not being regular enough with my attendance here and found the Kindle discussion was going strong!
I still love mine to bits and find I use it more and more.  I love mysteries, but am too tight to pay the shelf price for them so the Kindle lets me indulge in them in a guilt free way!
I'm very glad I didn't bother reading Eat, Pray, Love (it looked a bit soppy to me), but hope that you finished The Time Travellers Wife, Gert.  I struggled with it initially, but decided that I needed to suspend my disbelief and just go with it - and I enjoyed it immensely.  I read her next book, too, and hated it.
I have just bought the Thermomix Kindle book and found another one on their lists -
http://www.amazon.com/recipes-Maricruz-Thermomix-cooking-ebook/dp/B004CYEX80/ref=kinw_tu_recs_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS
I wonder if there are more in the works ...?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:48 am »
Not got a kindle and wasn't interested until recently. My dad has an ipad and my step mum a kindle, but I felt happy with my macbook pro and my iphone.
But I read a lot on my phone and getting eye strain so the idea of a kindle has started appealing.

Gretchen - don't think I'll attempt Time Traveller's Wife then - have got a copy but I didn't even like the movie, so can't imagine the full book of it.

Other than dh we are all readers. My older two kids read a lot, dd2 (7) in particular reads for hours a day, has a very high reading age (teenage) and is the libraries greatest borrower, lol.
She is what I class as a real reader (same as me) as she can't see words without reading them, whether it is a cereal packet, a sign or a book.

I started Eat, Pray, Love, and now thinking I won't retry, lol.

Oh and for anyone with an iphone (and am guessing ipad) try drinkmalk.com for free downloads.

I was amazed recently went to a book sale - early on a Saturday morning (booktopia's warehouse clearance) and there were so many late teens/twenties girls there, I would have thought they would have all been sleeping in! Some people had hundreds of dollars of books.
Unfortunately I had all three girls so didn't really get to look for me - only got a couple, and there were hardly any kids books.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »
One of he best books I have ever read in my life is "Three Cups of Tea".A truly amazing story, he should have won the Noble Peace Prize but was pipped by Barack Obama.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline BimbyPT

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 07:32:29 pm »
Thanks a lot for this post.
I have received my Kindle this week and had no idea there were free ebooks around apropriate for it. Just bought a collection of the Bronte familly works to try it out (a very cheap buy), but due to our financial crisis and need to save, was thinking it had probably been a bad idea to buy it in the first place.
But i just went to the Guttemberg page and even found portuguese books (in portuguese)! Now I don't feel like I've wasted money!
Thermomixing from Porto, Portugal

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:39 pm »
I Just got my kindle this week as well - an Xmas present from my wonderful husband - but had to wait until now for it as it wasn't ordered until late November and there was obviously a backlog of orders to fill at that time of year.  I also got the cover with the in-built light, which I think is a great idea.

I hadn't heard of a kindle until I first read this thread last year but it just seemed like a wonderful and very sensible idea to me.  I love reading - sci fi / fantasy mainly, but I have to admit my secret - I am also a romance fan - they are very formulaic but I am a sucker for a happy ending and they are such light reading and I don't really have to concentrate too hard on them so I find they are a great escape at the end of a busy day but have made a list of books recommended on this thread so am looking forward to checking them out.  I spend so many hours going to a fro between home and the library and often find it very difficult to get back by return dates (even when I renew) that I was becoming very annoyed with myself and was looking for a solution.

I'll be doing a lot of travelling this year and that was the clincher to make the decision to get the kindle - I am assuming that they are OK to read on planes - I hope so otherwise I am going to be so lost - travelling from Australia to Scotland to Czech Republic to Romania and back to Australia - the thought of so many hours on a plane without a book is overwhelming - I am sure the kindle will keep me occupied during all my flights.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 12:14:12 am »
As said earlier we have a Sony e reader, not a kindle. DD and I share it but have now decided that we need to buy another one so that we can both have one. Although we have heaps of books here to read (can't resisit buying them) we have to take it in turns to use the e reader. The only sad thing about it at the moment is that they are out of stock here at the moment.
Cuilidh, you are certainly doing some travelling this year. I have a niece in law (nephews wife) who comes from Romania. She is a lovely person.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:09 am »
... mmm I've never been to Romania and I'm looking forward to my visit very much - although it is strictly business - my husband and his colleague are going round the wood suppliers as they both need wood for their work (they are both violin makers and Romania has very good wood available).  Hopefully will get to see a bit more of the countryside than the wood yards - my fingers are crossed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:58:26 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:38 am »
I hope you can get the wood you're after. I believe parts of Romania are very beautiful. ( I didn't get to the wedding)