Author Topic: Teaching Kids to Cook  (Read 11489 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Teaching Kids to Cook
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:52:13 am »
My DD is 4.5 and loves to cook muffins, or anything she can get her hands in.  I want to teach her the cooking basics (sift, stir, measure etc) without TMX so she learns the skills and to follow instructions etc.  And not be reliant on a machine.

Any tips on teaching the joys of cooking?  What age should I introduce knives (scary) for cutting, dicing?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Teaching Kids to Cook
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:57:13 am »
yes, it is nice sometimes to cook the 'traditional' way :) i wouldn't stress too much over that now though, personally i reckon a 4yo gets more valuable skills from the numbers and associated values (time, weight, speed etc) that the thermomix has than actual skills like sifting etc - i think those probably can come after when they can actually put it together and udnerstand the whole process - does that make snese? not sure i've expressed it the way it is in my head lol

we let our kids use butter knives but no sharp knives so far. the 6 yo is probably still a little way off it, but not too far i'd think.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:52 am »
Dunno sorry - no kids.  But you may look at Stephanie Alexander's book http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/spotlight.cfm?SBN=9781920989491&Page=Details

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:04:07 am »
I have a knife for #1 that is specifically for children (bought it at an expo but I am pretty sure you can buy them in the shops) that is serrated but not sharp. He uses that to chop/cut food, but also loves to put in butter or flour or whatever might be going into the TMX to get the right number on the scales. He is 3 next month  :o and loves cooking too  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:33:19 am »
DD helped me cook from about 2 or so. As soon as she could stand on a chair and help. She would often make her own 'cakes' and then we would put them in the microwave to cook as she invented as she went along. It was only ever a spoon of this and a spoon of that so not much was wasted. She never seemed to demand that we eat them-fortunately.
As soon as she was old enough she mixed etc, licking as she went.
When she was old enough to cook alone I insisted that she clean up the mess. But once she started washing dishes I'd usually dry them for her. She's now a great cook, very inventive still but they are edible now.
She used to get to DH's sandwiches for work after I'd made them and add sprouts which he hates. He often found raw carrots and things in his lunch box. I think it became quite a laugh at school for the guys to see what she'd added each day.
I should get him to return the favour to her lunch box.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:02:50 am »
I think this will be the knife that you are talking about Meagan, my kids have these and much younger than the 3 years they recommend  ;) ;) Totally safe and will cut raw carrots etc. I love them

http://www.kiddiefoodkutter.com/

Mine have been in the kitchen since they were old enough to stand on a stool or chair and my teens can cook a full meal for the whole family unassisted - they had a night a week each that they prepared the family meal,  until we hit senior school, exams etc and jobs. The younger two spend ages in the kitchen with me now and they just love it. Not everything in my kitchen is TMX (probably about 80% is) so they still get the best of both worlds but I look on the reality that when they move out of home it will probably be the way that they know how to cook  ;D

Funny that this topic should come up as one of our team members gave her Go-Getters talk this month and it was on kids in the kitchen. I will need to check about being able to post it here (sure I would) She is an ex teacher, home schooling mum and it is really interesting.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:16:56 am »
oohh will have to check out that knife, sounds great!

i loved to cook as a kid and i was cooking meals for the family by about 8 or 9 i think, maybe 10 at the latest
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:18:31 am »
We have cooking classes with our homeschool group for the little ones, and they are really enjoying learning the basics - like different ways of cooking eggs, and potatoes, and making pancakes, and spaghetti bolognese, and things like that.  They chop up the apples, etc, and do all the stirring and cooking with supervision, and really learn heaps.  The teacher is an ex-chef, and she thinks they should learn the basics before they learn the Thermomix way, so that's what we're doing with them.  But I also teach mine to use the Thermomix at home, of course.  It is handy for them to know the basics though, so if the power goes off (which it does up here now and then) or they're not at home, or the TMX is being used for something else, they can still cook.
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:25:25 am »
but I look on the reality that when they move out of home it will probably be the way that they know how to cook  ;D
Does that mean they'll want one when they move out of home as a house warming present!
I'll check out those knives.  Thanks to everyone for those great ideas.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 06:27:42 am »
she thinks they should learn the basics before they learn the Thermomix way, so that's what we're doing with them.  But I also teach mine to use the Thermomix at home, of course.  It is handy for them to know the basics though, so if the power goes off (which it does up here now and then) or they're not at home, or the TMX is being used for something else, they can still cook.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I don't want my girls to not know how to "whisk" something.  Imagine if they think they're fabulous cooks, and then enter a kitchen without a thermomix.  They'd be lost

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 06:28:33 am »
I never cooked as a child (Mum hated the extra mess children invariably make) but my girls were allowed to do things with me and both are great cooks.  Now it is the turn of the GD and I've had her in the kitchen with me since she could stand on a stool and it is so much fun to teach her. She's off to school next year and then, a bit further down the track, GS will be taught in the same way.  His Dad does very little in the kitchen and I aim to make GS a good catch for some young lady further down the track! I agree with Jo, they should learn to cook the conventional way too, not just with the TMX but I can see all children from families with TMX machines, wanting one when they leave home or get married. It will be a required item in their kitchen just like the Mixmaster was to me 40 years ago.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 06:36:37 am »
i just don't think it's an issue for little kids lol teenagers yes, good idea for them to know the basics, but not little ones. but i'll just beg to differ  ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 07:01:08 am »
Just ordered 2 knives on line.  Thanks for the link!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 07:07:05 am »
Yes that is the knife we have Kathryn :) I also saw a lettuce knife in the kitchen shop the other day and it was like a chefs knife but plastic with a slight serration. Not sure how sharp it was but might also be suitable for kids :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 08:13:23 am »
Tupperware used to have those plastic serrated edged knives ( I think that was where my mother got it from) and it was very safe for little fingers.  Think that it was for cutting lettuces as not having contact with metal is supposed to prevent the lettuce browning.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.