Author Topic: Forum Fest 2014 tentative attendee  (Read 252120 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »
You will enjoy it mandi...some funny ladies.. Start saving :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Forum Fest 2014 tentative attendees.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »
great news Mandi ;D

kim  :(  :-*
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 01:58:26 am »
Are there any hotels in Hobart that you may want me to check out IF I have the time and IF I have the inclination on my visit this month?

Personally I would love to stay here but the price is astro, still I can go see and I will be at least having a meal here.  http://www.thehenryjones.com

Prices range from $160 to astro in the area we want but we don't know about group discount and pensioner discount. I wish I had inquired about the pensioner rate in Adelaide as I would have saved about $30 a night.

There may be some places you know of to avoid. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
If you have the time Gretchen, just checking out a few may give you enough of a choice to put to us all. I'm sure none of us are that fussed as long as it's clean and not over the top price-wise.  If anyone can twist an arm to get a good deal for the group, I'm sure you can!  It will be much appreciated but remember with this holiday you are taking, you are to enjoy it for what it is and not use up too much of your time checking places out for the retreat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 08:54:37 am »
Sorry Gert, cannot help.  I don't know the Hobart area at all, been over 44 years since I was there

Marie 

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:23 am »
Sorry Gert, cannot help.  I don't know the Hobart area at all, been over 44 years since I was there

Marie  

Well you had better come along and join us then. Shall I add your name.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:48 am »
Marie, if you haven't been to Hobart in that long, I think you should. I will be wearing my socks.  ;D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:29 pm »
Add me please Gertie :) Would love an adventure in Tassie :D

Will astarra be coming.....? :) :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »
With 4 very young children - that would be a miracle if she could get away Amy ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »
Oh right.... duh Amy!!! :-)) ;D ;D

Offline mumof2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
Hi All

Local Hobartian here!

There are tonnes of options close to Salamanca and hence close to the wharf area (where the MONA Roma Ferry departs for MONA from - there is a bus option too) with prices varying greatly.  Places right in the heart of Salamanca come with a Salamanca price tag!  Some options with a more affordable price tag (lets face it, the less $$$ for a bed mean more $$$ to shop!!!) are still within in a 5-8 minute stroll.

Mantra on Sandy Bay road   http://www.mantraonesandybayroad.com.au/
This hotel is very close to Salamanca - about a 5 minute stroll through St David's Park, past the Supreme Court into Salamanca.

Salamanca Inn   http://www.salamancainn.com.au/
This is right in the heart of Salamanca, but a slightly cheaper option that some of the others.

Travelodge Macquarie   http://www.travelodge.com.au/travelodge-hobart-hotel/home
This Hotel is between the City centre and Salamanca - probably 5 minute walk to the mall and 8 or so into Salamanca.

RACT Hobart Hotel    http://www.ract.com.au/Pages/RACT-Hobart-apartment-hotel.aspx
This is a new acquisition by the RACT  (RACV etc equivalent)  They offer a 25% discount on the standard rack rate to any Australian Automobile Club members.  This is in the city, so about 10minute stroll to Salamanca.

The Grand Chancellor   http://www.grandchancellorhotels.com/au/hobart/4
This is located right opposite the wharf area.  Can be a bit pricey, but they do have some good deals at times and worth a look.

Aside from places like The Henry Jones Art Hotel and Somerset on the Pier which are right on the wharf area ( and have the price tag to match!!)  these would be some options to investigate.  Really, any hotel in the city centre would be no more than a 15 minute stroll to Salamanca.

If you want any other ideas or information about things to do, places to see, let me know and I can put my "promote Tassie" hat on and list some ideas for you all. 

Even though I don't often post, and haven't been on the forum in some time, I would still love to meet those of you who make the trek south to our beautiful Island. 

Jodie

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 11:21:45 pm »
Great info MO2 thanks  :-*

It will be very nice 2 meet you
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 12:06:26 am »
Jodie thank you so much. We were hoping a local would have some input. I will be in Hobart briefly soon and was if possible will have a look around. I will be staying in an apartment in Sullivan's Cove.

We paid $189 a night in Adelaide which was a bit exxy. Had more research been done Re the hotel I found they have a year round rate of $129 for seniors which had to be booked in advance. Some of us are seniors so that would have been handy.

I was actually thinking of the Grand Chanellor too as they will give a good rate and have a variety of rooms plus that is where ya wanna be.It is also cheaper than the Crowne in Adelaide. Still lots of time and we will need to know how many rooms are needed before we can start negotiations. I was sort of working on 20 rooms plus. If we can choose a hotel get the rate fixed and a reference number the everyone can make their own booking.

Any ideas  Jodie for a day trip on the Friday . Wine,chesse or food related?   Sat for the markets, shopping, MONA etc. Also we Need a restaurant for Fri and  Sat nights for maybe 30 or so. We are hoping some locals will participate if not staying with us. Some may also be bringing partners which could bump the dinner numbers. The more the merrier.

We had an outstanding dinner in a Chinese Restaurant in Adelaide. Really quite spectacular I think we would all agree. A very good choice of Amanda's.

Though the rooms  were nice, the dinner at the Crowne was pretty ordinary and not up to standard for the reputation of the place and the breakfast certainly lacked the style and variety of a 4 star hotel.  I was hoping the restaurant would show off ythe wonderful produce that Adelaide has but I guess it is always the lowest common denominator  in a tourist area.

Hopefully the same won't be true in your beautiful Island State so long as we stay well away from Muers restaurant at the wharf.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:41 am »
It is not possible to check rates on line for some  hotels so early but here are a couple of published rack rates.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 01:41:59 am »
Customs House Hotel.