Author Topic: Forum Fest 2014 tentative attendee  (Read 253801 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Fest 2014 tentative attendees.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 01:44:47 am »
Jodie, thanks for your input - nice to see you posting again just in time to catch up with this thread.  Hopefully we will get to catch up at some stage of the next forumfest.  
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 04:29:56 am »
Looking good. Jodie thanks for you input. I'll now go back and check the places you have suggested. I even know where Sandy Bay is, even though I haven't been to Tassy for about 20 years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 10:23:32 am »
Gert,  Grand Chancellor might be worth following up.  Don't think Henry Jones or Somerset are really suitable.  Somerset are apartments and Henry Jones expensive and Quirky.  Have also stayed at Mantra but a few years ago so couldn't comment.  Thanks Jodie for your input. 

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 11:58:50 am »
The Manager of the Grand Chancellor is in my Rotary Club, Chookie.  The food is really good at the Tasman Restaurant there.  :)  The Woolstore doesn't have the same view but has a fantastic reputation for customer service and it's really close.

PS

Repeating my offer of 19 Sept on page 1 of this thread: 

Quote from: Cecilia
I know a perfect place for a welcome party - well, at least, I think it's perfect.  Would you like to check it out while you are down next month, Gert?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:03:53 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline mumof2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 10:03:27 pm »
I haven't eaten there actually Gert, although their reputation is excellent.  There are some lovely restaurants around the Salamanca area;
Rockwall   http://www.rockwallbarandgrill.com.au/ 

Blue Eye   http://www.fishfish.com.au/blue-eye/

Maldini    http://www.maldinirestaurant.com.au/

The Quarry   http://www.thequarry.com.au/

Smolt   - this might appeal as the menu includes lovely Tasmanian Salmon and Oysters     http://www.smolt.com.au/

In terms of Foodie and Wine day trips have a look at   http://www.tastinghouse.com.au/page/wine_tours.html   The Coal Valley is only around 20 minutes from Hobart - between Hobart and historic Richmond (which also have great local art and craft shops).  The tour company will totally customise a tour for groups, and with a large group the pricing would be more competitive than what is listed ($165 pp for a tour of 8).  Lunch can be at one of the vineyards or in Richmond.  (We have a tour organised for our work Christmas function and have been able to totally program what we want) 

This is just one option, but as it is in close proximity to Hobart it means a day can be used fully rather than heaps of driving to get somewhere.  There is also a Double Decker bus which does tours around Hobart - about an hour, with commentary on local history etc. 

Let me know if you would like any more information on places.

Jodie

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 10:54:02 pm »
Wonderful Jodie for you to do that research for us. A day trip close by would be lovely for the Friday. The Coal valley and Richmond would be a great trip. Beautiful places with lots to see and interesting shopping too. Perhaps you could make an inquiry on our behalf and a tentative booking for  maybe 20 + . If we had a ball park price it would give us start. The numbers could be finalised by say August 23, 2014.

Will we make that the cut off date?

All of those restaurants sound great.  To accommodate the numbers can be tricky but not difficult. Again we need the final number for that perhaps by September 25 for a dinner on October 24 or October 25. If we all have a look at the web sites Jodie mentioned we may get a general idea of which appeals. Frankly they all appeal to me!  Maybe Friday for one and Sat night for the other.

If the hotel we choose has a decent restaurant a deal may be done to include bed and breakfast for 2 to 3 nights and dinner for Sat night.

I know it is early days yet but if we have a plan then maybe we can excite some more members to put their names on the list. Tassie has so much to offer and we all can use a weekend away with some fun appreciative guys and gals.

If I knew the manager of the Chancellor and he was in MY  Rotary  club I would not hesitate to ask him for his best offer on 20 or so rooms from the 23-26 of October next year. After all that is what friends are for. ;D ;D ;D

The cheapest rate I have seen on line for  The Hotel Grand Chancellor Hobart  is $153 for a midweek stay off season. I wonder if that could be matched or bettered?

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 02:23:47 am »
I checked out the Grand Chancellor on line and it does look nice.
Richmond is a lovely place. I love the bridge and I think it had a cute church or that may be somewhere else. I'm excited and it is still 12 months away.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 02:55:35 am »
The Manager of the Grand Chancellor is in my Rotary Club, Chookie.  The food is really good at the Tasman Restaurant there.  :)  The Woolstore doesn't have the same view but has a fantastic reputation for customer service and it's really close.

PS

I know a perfect place for a welcome party - well, at least, I think it's perfect.  Would you like to check it out while you are down next month, Gert?

The Grand Chancellor would be perfect Cecilia. Is there any chance that perhaps you could tell him about forum fest in Hobart and ask him if they have any special offers or group discounts for those dates in October next year?  It's a lovely hotel in a great location and would be ideal  for all of  us. No pressure of course just a thought.  :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 05:29:27 am »
I can't 100% commit yet but could you please add me to the list  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:41 am »
Indeed I will Yvette.
Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:55 am »

PS

The Grand Chancellor would be perfect Cecilia. Is there any chance that perhaps you could tell him about forum fest in Hobart and ask him if they have any special offers or group discounts for those dates in October next year?  It's a lovely hotel in a great location and would be ideal  for all of  us. No pressure of course just a thought.  :)

It would certainly be a feather in his cap and the hotels if he was willing to help us. None of us a quiet little mice and wopuld indeed spread the word of how wonderfully we were treated. (if we were of course  8))

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:17 am »

PS

It would certainly be a feather in his cap and the hotels if he was willing to help us. None of us a quiet little mice and wopuld indeed spread the word of how wonderfully we were treated. (if we were of course  8))

I am sure we would be cookie. I have stayed at the  Grand Chancellor in Launceston and the service has been outstanding on  every occasion. Once they even opened  the dining room for us  after it was long closed.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:52 am »
Have done a bit of research around the Harbour front here. OK call it a pub crawl with a taste of Tassie wine and whiskey.

Next door to where I am staying is an old pub located next to Parliament House  which is next to Salamanca . This is it.
http://www.customshousehotel.com 3 1/2 star three story with lift 23 room hotel with restaurant and bar. All rooms with Queen beds and maybe one room with two bedrooms . We could take the whole hotel for approx $140 a night including brekkie in the restaurant . It could be noisy at night but as far as I can see not a lot of night life but maybe on Fri and Sat nights.

The Chancellor is about 4 blocks from Salamanca on the far side of the harbour. Very nice but $190 at this stage and no brekkie. That could change

The weather right now is cold windy and not conducive to a leisurely stroll. This area has lots to offer by way of interesting shops cafés and restaurants.

If we wanted the Custom House I think  we would have to seal the deal very soon as I say there are only 23 rooms. Tomorrow I may do more research on the other side of Salamanca  depending on my condition after dinner tonight .

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 08:10:59 am »
Thanks for doing lots of research Gert.