Author Topic: Roasted Apple & Butternut Soup - Jamie Oliver  (Read 34816 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Roasted Apple & Butternut Soup - Jamie Oliver
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:18:58 am »
I made this today and it's one of the nicest pumpkin soups I think I've had.  The roasting and the apple really makes the difference.

As the title suggests, you have to roast the vegetables first but it's well worth it.  I hope you like it.

ROASTED APPLE & BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN SOUP
1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
3 eating apples (I used pink lady), peeled, cored and cut into wedges if large, or quarters if small
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 red chilli, halved and deseeded
4 cloves garlic unpeeled and bashed
pinch coriander seeds
sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
2 tbsp pumpkin or mixed seeds (used pumpkin)
pinch cayenne pepper
800ml veg or chicken stock (I used chicken - home made)
150ml single cream
sour cream to drizzle

Preheat oven 200C.

Place pumpkin cubes, apple, onion, chilli and garlic into a large baking tray.

Drizzle with a good amount of olive oil and a good pinch of salt & pepper. Jamie also adds a pinch of coriander seeds and a little chopped rosemary, (I did too).  

Toss all together so all veg is nicely coated.  Season one more time then whack into the oven and cook for about 45 - 50 mins or until everything is cooked through, intensely golden and delicious.

Meanwhile, toss the pumpkin seeds with salt, pepper, olive oil and the cayenne.  Spread on a baking paper lined tray and roast in the oven at the same time as the vegetables, but for only 10-15 mins until nice and toasted, then put these aside for later.

Put the roasted veg into TM bowl making sure you squeeze the garlic flesh out of its skin first.
Add the stock.  Set for 1 min and slowly turn up to speed 10.

Add the cream and heat 8 mins/100C/speed 3.  Have a taste and season further if needed. (mine was perfect).

Divide between bowls and add a swirl of sour cream and a sprinkling of the toasted seeds.

There is a sweetness to the soup, but I didn't find it too much so, maybe my apples weren't too big?  
Maybe anyone else contemplating making this should cut down on the number of them the first time just in case.

You could you use the light evaporated milk in place of the whole cream. Should still give a creamy flavour without the calories.  

Members' comments nice soup

Bonsai - I didn't bother to peel apples or pumpkin and the end product was still really smooth. My apples must have been really big so the soup was a bit sweet for my taste. Added some chipotle chili in adobo (about 1/3 of a chili) plus a blob of yogurt instead of cream, plus a dash of sherry vinegar and really yum. I think adding Tenina's caramelized garlic paste would be a nice addition instead of  just roasting the garlic.

TamG - As I made it for Good Friday when some people don't eat meat I used vegetable stock paste with some water. I left out the cream and was intending to put some in before serving but it tasted great without. I made a 1.5 times batch, adjusted quantities and blended in 2 batches.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:38:36 pm by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Roasted Apple & Butternut Soup - Jamie Oliver
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:56 am »
Looks delicious JuileO. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:23 am »
OMG! Looks divine. Someone at work gave  me a pumpkin from their garden and I'll have to try this one. Looks like a great recipe! Love the pumpkin seed part.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »
Taste is written all over this recipe - thanks Julie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:02:04 am »
Taste is right Judy, Jamie certainly gets flavour into his recipes, I don't think I've made a bad one of his yet.  :)

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:17 am »
This looks really beautiful - will be my next soup to try - will have to wait for my next butternut though - the one in the pantry is being used tomorrow to make a risotto.  I really like Jamie Oliver, just made a lovely pasta of his that uses up 2 heads of broccoli - perfect for this time of the year when they are plentiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:27 am »
Thanks Tam.  Agree, I love Jamie too.  ;D

Bonsai

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:58 pm »
Cooked this last night. I didn't bother to peel apples or pumpkin and the end product was still really smooth. My apples must have been really big so the soup was a bit sweet for my taste. Added some chipotle chili in adobo (about 1/3 of a chili) plus a blob of yogurt instead of cream, plus a dash of sherry vinegar and really yum. I think adding Tenina's caramelized garlic paste would be a nice addition instead do just roasting the garlic.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
I have only just come across this recipe. It looks and sounds fantastic Julie! I can't wait to try it. I will have to finish off my lentil soup first, but that wont take long :D

I will also substitute something else for the cream, as I am very fussy about the amount of fat in my cooking :-))

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »
There is a sweetness to the soup, but I didn't find it too much so, maybe my apples weren't too big?  
Maybe anyone else contemplating making this should cut down on the number of them the first time just in case.  Good to see you were able to counteract that for your taste.  :)

Amy, could you use the light evaporated milk in place of the whole cream?  Should still give a creamy flavour without the calories.  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:28 am »
Amy, could you use the light evaporated milk in place of the whole cream?  Should still give a creamy flavour without the calories.  :D

Sounds like a good idea Julie :D I'll put light evaporated milk on my shopping list ;)
Thanks you!

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:02:09 am »
wow, this looks beautiful  I'm on a mission to get some good soups into the boys and I think this would be a good starting point due to the sweetness.  Can't wait to try it.
Tam - what is the pasta dish with the broccoli?  Sounds like one to try too.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »
Is it not possible to get lactose free evaporated milk?  ??? ??? ???

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
I don’t think so Amy, but i have wanted to try this recipe

Evaporated Milk for Recipes

Makes 1½ cups of Evaporated Milk
Directions: Put 3 cups of soy or rice milk in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the volume is reduced to 1 & 1/2 cups
I would use lactose free milk if and when i make it  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 12:13:28 am »
Awesome, thanks Uni!!! :D :D