Author Topic: Curry powder for lamb/ beef/ chicken curry  (Read 11906 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Curry powder for lamb/ beef/ chicken curry
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:08 am »
I've made this curry powder a couple of times  and this was delicious with lamb. The recipe comes from taste.com.au website (Delicious- June 2009) and it says you can also use this curry powder for chicken or beef.  I've used my THM to make the curry powder and chop onions + garlic, ginger & chilli but I cooked the lamb on our slow-combustion stove  :) 
The original recipe used fenugreek seeds and 10 fresh curry leaves.  I replaced fenugreek by fennel.
Anyway here is the whole recipe:

Coconut Lamb/ Beef/ Chicken Curry

Ingredients
Curry powder
15g coriander seeds
5g each cumin, fennel, mustard and cardamom seeds
8 cloves
1 cinnamon quill
2 small dried chilli
pinch of nutmeg
5g ground turmeric

Other ingredients
800g diced lamb shoulder
Sunflower oil
1 onion thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1tbs ginger, freshly grated
1 long red chilli, chopped
1tsp turmeric
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml stock
125ml coconut cream
2tbs chopped coriander

Method
Prepare curry powder:  place coriander, cumin, fennel, mustard, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in TMX bowl and dry roast for 3mn, Varoma temp, slow speed.
Allow spices to cool. Add nutmeg and turmeric and grind spices for 20s on speed 9, or until finely ground.  Set aside.

Heat some sunflower oil in a heavy-based pan (cast-iron is great) and brown lamb in batches for 4 to 5minutes (take care to brown, not to “stew” your meat!).  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook onion (until soft) in sunflower oil using the same pan. Add garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a minute.  Add turmeric and 4tbs of the prepared curry powder, stir well. 
Return lamb to the pan and stir well.
 Add tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil then reduce the heat.  Simmer , uncovered, for 1.30h to 2 hours , until meat is tender.
Stir in the coconut cream and chopped coriander 10 minutes before  lamb is ready.

Serve with steamed basmati rice, naan, raitas, etc!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Curry powder for lamb/ beef/ chicken curry
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:08:54 am »
This sounds great Carine. Is it very spicy?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:36:13 pm »
Dede, my family loved it.  I have 2 sons, aged 12 and 10 and they both gulped this curry down... with a few drinks of milk though  ;D  They're starting to enjoy spicy dishes:  so good!  You could add less curry powder if your family likes mild curries.  For us it was the right amount of spice, and it was sooooo fragrant.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:13 am »
great, I will give it a go and add a little less of the curry mix. Does sound yummy. Thanks for sharing
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:13 pm »
oh thank you carine...every curry powder recipe i have come across asks for curry leaves and do you think I could find them...only online and they didnt look that great so will be looking forward to finally making my own as we lurrrvv curries in this house  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46:11 am »
Yep fresh curry leaves are impossible to find in Tamworth and I can imagine that it wouldn't be facile a trouver in Indre et Loire...  I remember going to my first Indian restaurant in my early 20s in Saint-Etienne (a town the same size as Newcastle here) and this was the only Indian restaurant in town  :(   LooooOVE curries too!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:19 am »
hahah yes I have only come across a couple and we have lived in a few places in France before here..I find its pretty much Chinese, Japanese, Pizza or burgers...thats your takeout options !!  Anything else is rare and also impossible to get hard to find ingredients...I do alot of shopping online!  :)

again thankyou i will be trying this one out next week (currently not cooking that much as im redecorating and painting the kids rooms by myself)..i usually get someone to send me some keens curry powder from oz as i prefer it to bought powders over here!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:41 pm »
Made this tonight. Absolutely delicious!!! Made naan and rice to go with it. Everyone loved it so will be made again.
Such lovely flavour without being too spicy.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »
Thanks for this. I have both fenugreek and curry leaves. I bought a little curry leaf tree from the nursery.

Fenugreek is a great addition if you're planning on eating dahl, as it prevents wind!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:55:00 am »
Made this tonight. Absolutely delicious!!! Made naan and rice to go with it. Everyone loved it so will be made again.
Such lovely flavour without being too spicy.
Looks like you enjoyed this curry as much as we did Zan  ;)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:58:38 am »
Thanks for this. I have both fenugreek and curry leaves. I bought a little curry leaf tree from the nursery.

Fenugreek is a great addition if you're planning on eating dahl, as it prevents wind!
:)
You're lucky!  Will have to chase a curry leaf tree/bush?? :  would be good for so many recipes...