Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9060061 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #2385 on: January 10, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »
For the time being Andi, Jams & Chutneys seems the way to go for these type of things.   If they just added sauces to the title, that would suffice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:05 am »
MM this seems a good idea. Jams, Chutneys, Sauces and other condiments or something similar. What do you think?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:40 am »
Today (well yesterday technically, as it's past midnight now) I made three kinds of frosting for the mini cupcakes I baked the day before.

I made four types of cupcake: plain, chocolate, vanilla, and ginger, and three frostings: almond, chocolate, and lemon. I had a bit of a food colouring disaster, with the lemon frosting turning out orange, but they tasted okay. I ground sugar to icing sugar in the TM, added butter and a little crème fraîche, then added almond essence, cocoa powder, and lemon juice and zest respectively. The almond one was a real winner - really gorgeous marzipan flavour, worked well with both the plain and chocolate cupcake bases.

Best of all, I gave half to friends, and the other half will go to my grandparents tomorrow - so no diet guilt! ;)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: January 11, 2010, 01:56:49 am »
MM this seems a good idea. Jams, Chutneys, Sauces and other condiments or something similar. What do you think?
You know people in high places Cookie1 so if anyone can convince them of this idea, it is you  :-* :-*

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2389 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:36 am »
We had yesterday Flaedlessuppe (soup with thinly cut spelt pancakes), milletpudding cooked with ricemilk and red fruit jelly. Today artichokes with dip, mixed salad, steamed veggies and lemon sauce
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:30 am »
On yet another scorcher here today, I bought a BBQ chicken, heated up some leftover potato casserole from yesterday and only made things to suit the weather.  Made Chookies coffee syrup for iced-coffee, an alternative to the coffee cream dessert posted by isi (will review that once it is set) and a simple coleslaw with just cabbage, carrot and sweet fresh pineapple and a lovely dressing I found on the internet called 'magic mayonnaise' (will post it)

I'm back - couldn't find where to post mayonnaise recipes so gave up and will post it here.  Perhaps a moderator will point me in the right direction.

Magic Mayonnaise from OZtion Forum

1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk unbeaten
1 tspn dry mustard
1/2 tsn salt
few  grains cayenne - 1 light shake

Place all ingredients into the TM bowl in the order listed. Blend on speed 3 for 1 minute.

There was a comment on the forum that this mayonnaise used on coleslaw tastes like KFC's which is why I made it as I love KFC coleslaw and haven't had it for years. Don't know if it is but it is very nice.  Just use the amount which suits your taste.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:51:15 am by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2391 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19:42 am »
Thanks JD,  looks good,  do you think I could use rice bran oil?   I'm going to the friends tonight who are going to help me post the photos about isi's bread.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: January 11, 2010, 08:09:40 am »
Can't see why not Chookie.  The recipe said to use vegetable oil or melted butter but I used grapeseed just because I had it there not being used for anything.   Good luck with your lesson tonight - I know once you get the hang of it we will be seeing lots of lovely pictures of all your favourite recipes.

Offline Tarah

• View Profile
    • Simplify My Life Thermomix posts
« Reply #2393 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:16 am »
Tonight I've heated up some pumpkin soup a la Everyday Cooking along with half a nori sheet cut up small and 1 tbsp buckwheat soaked since this morning. It all came out really nicely and went well with some spelt bread also a la Everyday Cooking (Basic Bread).

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2394 on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »
I have a batch of porridge (mixed grains) in the TMX. 
Later I am going to try out the conversion of my Auntie Vera's German poppyseed cake in the TMX, although it requires beaten egg whites and those I am going to whip in a mixer as I still have not had satisfactory results in the TMX with the butterfly.  At least a quarter of the whites remain in the bottom of the bowl, unbeaten and the volume of whites is not sufficient for the recipes I have prepared.
The only way I can achieve the desired volume is to add another egg white. 
I wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong.

(Posted by judydawn:   "I'm back - couldn't find where to post mayonnaise recipes so gave up and will post it here.  Perhaps a moderator will point me in the right direction.
Magic Mayonnaise from OZtion Forum")

Again, it would be nice to have a "Condiments and Sauces"  section for things such as the mayonnaise recipe (as well as the ketchups, mustards, Worchestershire sauce, steak sauces, marinades, sambals, pepper sauces, aioli, etc.   In my opinion, such things simply do not fit into "Jams and Chutneys", although some chutneys could fit into condiments,  Jams, Jellies and Preserves seems a bit more descriptive.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #2395 on: January 11, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »
O have created a new board for condiments and sauces. What a necessity that is. It never crossed my mind, LOL. Thanks for brining it up..

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?board=50.0

Please place new recipes soon. Thanks a lot

Admin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:42:39 pm by Master Moderator »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2396 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
The egg white whipping for me still seems to be hit and miss.  usually I do it with 37 or 50 deg and speed 3 - usually all OK - but not reliable and certainly not when you start adding sugar to the mix.

Have sent MM a note to see if we can make changes as per your suggestion re sauces etc - makes very good sense.  :-* :-* :-*

PS - he's already done it while I was typing -ta muchly MM  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2397 on: January 12, 2010, 12:16:14 am »
Today I did a funny thing with the THM.  I mashed up some windfall apples in theTHM,  added some water to cook them so that I could use the juice with some berries for jam.    I fancied a poached egg,  so turned the cup up side down and cracked the egg into the cup.    While the apples cooked so did the egg. 8)   The possibilities with this machine are endless.

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: January 12, 2010, 01:06:54 am »
That's an excellent idea! :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: January 12, 2010, 01:45:26 am »
Thanks MM. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/