Author Topic: Sriracha hot chilli sauce  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Sriracha hot chilli sauce
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:28 am »
I know I shouldn't be partial to any particular brand  of anything on this forum. but I just wanted to suggest people try this addictive hot sauce. I usually buy it from my Asian grocery  but it is totally delicious on eggs, pizza, anything! Just use it sparingly as it is very spicy, but the consistency makes it much thicker than Tabasco sauce (which I also love) -this one contains chilli, sugar, salt, garlic and vinegar. If I make anything for the kids I omit the chilli sauce and add it in the portions for the adults. A little goes a long way and if anyone loves chilli in their food I find this is very tasty. I believe  it is catching on in the USA and I have only been using it for 6 months but  I am interested to hear if anyone else uses it. Please note: I have no shares in this product,  I just think everyone's taste buds deserve to try it!!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: Sriracha hot chilli sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:28:02 am »
Cant wait to try it. Where is it produced Merlin?

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:52 am »
Hi Merlin -I have a small book called "The Sriracha Cookbook - 50 'Rooster Sauce' Recipes that pack a punch'" by Randy Clemens - I may have gotten it from Amazon but I just can't remember at the moment. It was published in the US in 2011.  It has a recipe for a homemade sauce using 1 3/4 lbs (about 750 gm) of jalapenos - and the other chapters run through "sauces and seasonings,"  "starters and snacks," "salads and sides," "soups and stews," "breakfast of champions," "main courses," and "drinks and desserts."  It's amazing stuff!  Where do you get yours from?

Courton - it's Thai - to quote from the book, "Seated in the Chonburi Province of Thailand is Sri Racha, a seaside city known for its tropical beach landscape, exotic tiger zoo, delectable seafood restaurants, and an affinity for hot chilli pastes.  Pronounced "see-RAH-chuch," the town is part part burgeoning industrial metropolis and part quaint fishing village.  Situated about 65 miles southeast of Bangkok . . ." etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:59:15 am by goldfish »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:02 am »
Goldfish, I bought mine from my Asian grocery store that I go to in Clayton, Melbourne. The stuff tastes gorgeous- at first it almost tastes like sweet tomato paste and then the chilli hits you like a punch.  I love mixing it into scrambled eggs, on sandwiches, you name it, it's so versatile! I have also used it in a  devilled egg recipe where you mix some of it with the egg yolks and mayonnaise as well as a little bit of sesame oil- yummy! As mentioned it is primarily from Thailand but I think they also now manufacture it in the USA. On my recent trip to Malaysia, I was so happy to see it as I used it on everything- for our breakfast buffet we could pretty much eat everything including congee, Japanese ie miso soup and rice as well as Malaysian specialities such as beef rendang and spicy squid. Funny how I never liked spicy foods even ten years ago, now I love them!!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:30:42 am »
One of my favourites for many years. JD do not even think about it!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:00 am »
No fear of that Gretchen  :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:44 pm »
Will have to look out for this. DH loves spicy sauces.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »
oohhh we will have to have a go at this.  i order my hot chilli sauce from nz regularly and i have it on almost everything that i can put it on. but ordering from overseas is a little annoying so i will go check out the asian grocers and give this a go. thanks for sharing merlin
Emma from Victoria

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »
I like Sriracha chili sauce but my big favorite is the sweet chile sauce made by Mae Ploy.  It's not super hot and has a lot of other flavors as well as being quite sweet.

Does wonders for almost any meat and I use it often IN homemade sausage. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:04 am »
I agree- the Mae Ploy one is lovely as well-my kids can actually tolerate that brand quite well in smallish doses. It also makes a great dipping sauce.
Albert Einstein

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:16:56 am »
I will have to try this.
Thanks, Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url